The Student Room Group

could I still change my a-level choices

i have an induction day 4th for my sixth form choice and i wanted to change politics to psychology or law and want to know if it's too late.

politics is boring, it just sounded good, but i dont want to study anything news related.

also how will a-level law be linked to a law degree. is it better to do psychology.
You can change your choices even one month after you start the actual course. Just call/send an email to the college and tell them of the changes. It's not too late whatsoever.

It's a shame you're dropping politics, I love the subject. As for law, a lot of people tell me that universities don't actually like students studying law at A-Levels. I don't know if this purely a myth, but I've been told this so many times, so it must stand some ground. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't do psychology, so I can't tell you, but I know it has some mathematical aspect to it (hypothesis testing I believe).
Original post by inoubliable
You can change your choices even one month after you start the actual course. Just call/send an email to the college and tell them of the changes. It's not too late whatsoever.

It's a shame you're dropping politics, I love the subject. As for law, a lot of people tell me that universities don't actually like students studying law at A-Levels. I don't know if this purely a myth, but I've been told this so many times, so it must stand some ground. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't do psychology, so I can't tell you, but I know it has some mathematical aspect to it (hypothesis testing I believe).

if psychology has maths im not gonna do it. im going to do law then. i've also heard it's unpopular, there aren't many other options :frown:

i might do politics but it says that politics will be taughted at a different school i think and i can't travel there. i'll ask them about it on the indcution date and if its taught at the school i'll choose it.
Original post by I'mComingOxford
i have an induction day 4th for my sixth form choice and i wanted to change politics to psychology or law and want to know if it's too late.

politics is boring, it just sounded good, but i dont want to study anything news related.

also how will a-level law be linked to a law degree. is it better to do psychology.

What are your other A levels?
You'll definitely be able to change them. My old college in the first few weeks allowed you to go and sit in any class to make sure it's actually what you wanted to study, there was a cut off period for changing which will differ between colleges/sixth forms but mine was around 3 weeks.
Original post by Quick-use
What are your other A levels?

literature and history
literature and history

So, you're taking A level English Lit and History.

For your third choice, you could also consider: Philosophy, Religious Studies, Economics or a language. Would any of these interest you?

Philosophy and Psychology are a little similar in that they get you thinking about human behaviour etc; but, perhaps the main difference is that Psychology is more science-y while Philosophy is more arts/humanities.
Original post by Quick-use
So, you're taking A level English Lit and History.

For your third choice, you could also consider: Philosophy, Religious Studies, Economics or a language. Would any of these interest you?

Philosophy and Psychology are a little similar in that they get you thinking about human behaviour etc; but, perhaps the main difference is that Psychology is more science-y while Philosophy is more arts/humanities.

econ=maths so probably not. philosophy and re i also don't like.

i would love to to latin or a language however the sixth form will start it from gcse level and i need to learn it from scratch so.

psychology being more sciency defo gets my attention since i love bio(some parts are boring) and the maths aspect hits me tho. how much of the content is maths?

It will depend if there are spaces on those A level courses. Ask when you are there ... I'd avoid studying law A level is you want to do that as a degree.

In my school some choice swaps are just not possible as groups have reached their maximum.
Original post by Muttley79
It will depend if there are spaces on those A level courses. Ask when you are there ... I'd avoid studying law A level is you want to do that as a degree.

In my school some choice swaps are just not possible as groups have reached their maximum.

i'll have to look at this thoroughly this summer and check the spec and ask them about it.
econ=maths so probably not. philosophy and re i also don't like.

i would love to to latin or a language however the sixth form will start it from gcse level and i need to learn it from scratch so.

psychology being more sciency defo gets my attention since i love bio(some parts are boring) and the maths aspect hits me tho. how much of the content is maths?

Does your school offer Classical Civilisation or Sociology? If so, you should definitely read up on them.

Have you had a look at the content for Philosophy or Religious Studies? If not, I would honestly encourage you to look them up. If you're good at essay writing and if you find the content somewhat interesting, then you could probably get a good mark on them. I actually think that getting a good mark in Religious Studies is pretty much a given (if you do the work, of course)!

Regarding Economics, I think you should be fine if you're worried about the maths content as Edexcel, AQA and OCR have very little quantitative assessment in their A-level Economics specifications.

In the new Edexcel Spec (Economics A) only 10% of the course consisted of quantitative assessment, so that's about 30 out of 300 marks. The actual maths you do is very simple divisions, percentage changes, index numbers and so on - very basic maths skills. That said, some sixth forms have a Maths requirement of an A grade for Economics simply due to the fact that if you want to study Economics at very prestigious universities then you'll also need A level Maths.

You should also look up the content for Economics (as well as Religious Studies, Philosophy, Classical Civilisation and Sociology).

I'm honestly not sure how much maths is in Psychology so I wouldn't be able to answer that.
(edited 5 years ago)
if psychology has maths im not gonna do it. im going to do law then. i've also heard it's unpopular, there aren't many other options :frown:

i might do politics but it says that politics will be taughted at a different school i think and i can't travel there. i'll ask them about it on the indcution date and if its taught at the school i'll choose it.

There is almost zero maths in Psychology A level - it gets a lot more stats heavy at degree level which comes as a bit of a nasty shock to people who don't like maths, but you won't have that issue at A level.

As for Law, it is an acceptable subject at A level (people used to say it wasn't but top Law unis have since confirmed that they have no problem with it).

And you will be able to change your subjects as long as your new combination fits ok onto the timetable
It should not be too late to change if you still want to. Psychology isn't horrifically mathsy and there are other aptitude tests for law (such as the LNAT) that are good at showing your aptitude at university. I think just do what your gut tells you, it usually works out much better that way :smile:
Original post by harrysbar
There is almost zero maths in Psychology A level - it gets a lot more stats heavy at degree level which comes as a bit of a nasty shock to people who don't like maths, but you won't have that issue at A level.

As for Law, it is an acceptable subject at A level (people used to say it wasn't but top Law unis have since confirmed that they have no problem with it).

And you will be able to change your subjects as long as your new combination fits ok onto the timetable

thats so refreshing to hear, i'll ask my sixth form about it after gcses and check the spec! i dont plan on doing psy at uni anyway.

i think i'll probably choose psychology as it's science aspect(bio) might intrigue me a lot as it won't be a lot of science which is good for me because I don't like too much stem.

Original post by barror1
It should not be too late to change if you still want to. Psychology isn't horrifically mathsy and there are other aptitude tests for law (such as the LNAT) that are good at showing your aptitude at university. I think just do what your gut tells you, it usually works out much better that way :smile:

i heard about the LNAT, does that contain maths?

Quick Reply

Latest