The Student Room Group

Uni tutor gave me higher mark than he should have!

Hey,So I just got my mark back for a 3500 word assignment.
He gave me a 80 but I totalled the marks again and realised it's actually 78.
So should I email him about this or just leave it?
I want to know what you'll do in my situation please.
Thank you.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is it a summative piece? If so, all results should be double-checked ahead of the board reviewing them in the Summer. I would let them know now anyway, it won't harm you as it's still a great mark. Well done!
It's only 2 marks, so it won't change your overall grade, right (think both are still a first) so maybe just drop your lecturer a quick email and say that the total is wrong by 2, and nothing else should change, but they might trust you a little more from now on. But check first, I once did that and they emailed back saying "check again" and the total was right and I'd miscounted.
Reply 3
Hey, it's a summative piece and its' weighting is 100% for the module. Like you said I've decided to email him about it. Thank you for your opinion.
Reply 4
I would do nothing :smile:.
email him, it wont change the mark but he would like you for being honest
Honestly, I would do nothing. Just pretend you haven't noticed. It's not your responsibility to verify the addition, so there's no expectation on you to report this.

This sort of thing happens quite a lot in exams. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, often you will never know about it. Just let this be one of the times you win, to balance out the times when you sometimes lose due to poor marking.
Reply 7
Hey, I just realised he didn't give me a higher mark than I should have gotten because he replied to my email and told me 80 is the mark he gave me. It's just he forgot to update the marks for one of the sections which made the total 78 and not 80.
What's happened is that he's probably given an initial mark, then after marking all of the assignments, he's adjusted some marks slightly. I do much the same in my own marking of assignments. I'll start by marking everything, then I'll go back and reflect on whether I think some of my earlier marks are fully representative of the standard of that piece of work. For example, I might mark the first assignment a low 2:1, but when I see what else I awarded a low 2:1 to, I'll then adjust that early mark higher if it's of a higher standard, or equally lower it if it's not as good.
Original post by Gale248
Thank you.

What subject??? Rs??? What uni???
I once had the opposite...

Got a grade back at 74%. Was really happy with my grade! In the pub for a post-exam results celebration, I was looking through my exam script and realised one of my answers hadn't been marked worth FIFTEEN %!!!!

Ran to my lecturer's office, he confirmed I was correct so my grade was (rightfully) changed to 89%. :biggrin:
Original post by CTLeafez

Got a grade back at 74%. Was really happy with my grade! In the pub for a post-exam results celebration, I was looking through my exam script and realised one of my answers hadn't been marked worth FIFTEEN %!!!!

Ran to my lecturer's office, he confirmed I was correct so my grade was (rightfully) changed to 89%. :biggrin:

Once had the oppsite result.

Die to poor handwriting thought I got 95% but it was actcually 05%
.... Lol wish they gave 89% in my uni lol. . .

Kids today :rolleyes:

So moral
Honesty won't harm you , 2 marks does nothing . Well done btw, that a nice grade
Original post by Gale248
Thank you.

Just accept that grade? It's not that far off and it's higher than what you predicted.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
.... Lol wish they gave 89% in my uni lol. . .

What can I say? :colondollar: When I had the choice between getting the stereotypical "uni experience" and working my arse off for 3 years, I chose the later...
Lol well if the end result turned out ok... I gues that's fine...and often i sit there and think this RG can keep its degree lmao. But im too far gone now have to power through bearly a 3rd year..
What can I say? :colondollar: When I had the choice between getting the stereotypical "uni experience" and working my arse off for 3 years, I chose the later...
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Lol well if the end result turned out ok... I gues that's fine...and often i sit there and think this RG can keep its degree lmao. But im too far gone now have to power through bearly a 3rd year..

I can understand that... I've got one last exam and it's taking all my motivation to even revise!

I had a rough couple years during A-Levels so didn't get the grades I think I was capable of...Ended up at a non-RG uni.
I saw my time away from home as my chance to "get my life back on course" so now I'm on track for a high 1st and got a conditional offer to a RG uni for PG. Finally getting my life back on track :h:
Perfect bro :smile: best of luck...

Im currently fighting for my MsC plans also...having to apply with these second year marks in October. The added pressure is real, since i can't really go to a Non-Russell group for my MsC and am not keen on continuing in the UK. Want to do it in the Netherlands where its quite competitive at the top have my eyes on their Oxbridge. University of Amsterdam and Erasmus Rotterdam School of Management.
I can understand that... I've got one last exam and it's taking all my motivation to even revise!

I had a rough couple years during A-Levels so didn't get the grades I think I was capable of...Ended up at a non-RG uni.
I saw my time away from home as my chance to "get my life back on course" so now I'm on track for a high 1st and got a conditional offer to a RG uni for PG. Finally getting my life back on track :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending