The Student Room Group

Is NCS worth it? And is it better in certain areas?

Hi😊I'm 17 and I'm thinking of doing NCS is Birmingham this year. I used to live in Reading and I heard great reviews from a lot of my friends who went to the one up in Reading. However, whenever I go online to get other opinions, people claim that it's not very good? Is this just NCS as a whole or is NCS better in some areas of the UK?

Scroll to see replies

I did NCS Oxfordshire, and I can say that it was the best experience of my entire life, especially as it was my first ever experience of proper friendship.
I also happen to know that in the first week there happened to be a Birmingham group staying in the same place as us lol (I found out in the most awkward way possible lmao)
it's great, I did it in Nuneaton but we had people from bham in our wave, I recommend it :smile:
I dropped out last minute as they lied about everything we were doing. My friends did it in Peterborough/ Stamford area and not one person liked it but this was about 3 years ago.
Original post by Meganxo447
I dropped out last minute as they lied about everything we were doing. My friends did it in Peterborough/ Stamford area and not one person liked it but this was about 3 years ago.

Yes they lie
They told the Oxfordshire people wales or Devon
Then we end up in Swindon 😂
Cheeky *******s
Original post by Laurence010401
Yes they lie
They told the Oxfordshire people wales or Devon
Then we end up in Swindon 😂
Cheeky *******s

They didn’t just lie about the location but how long we were on the program for, how many hours we had to do and what we would be doing during those weeks 😤. If you’re a artistic person I’d recommend doing the arts award program as not many people know about it .
Original post by Meganxo447
They didn’t just lie about the location but how long we were on the program for, how many hours we had to do and what we would be doing during those weeks 😤. If you’re a artistic person I’d recommend doing the arts award program as not many people know about it .

I’m not really an artistic person
I am an autistic person thoooo
But there’s probably a big difference, even tho it’s only one letter 😂
I’m not really an artistic person
I am an autistic person thoooo
But there’s probably a big difference, even tho it’s only one letter 😂

https://www.artsaward.org.uk/site/?id=64
I’ve nearly finished my gold arts award, it has the same weight as a As level and carries ucas points. You don’t need to be 100% artistic or creative 😊
Reply 8
i did it in shropshire three years ago, the activities were so dead but the people I met were nice. I'm still in touch with some of them to this day
Reply 9
you either love it or hate it
My mum forced me to do it. I don't like being forced to make friends with people, so I hated it. I'm a bit picky when it comes to people I surround myself with.
Original post by jupi6ter
My mum forced me to do it. I don't like being forced to make friends with people, so I hated it. I'm a bit picky when it comes to people I surround myself with.

In the long run it'll be beneficial. When you're working somewhere, you can't really decide who your colleagues are. Gotta develop some interpersonal skills somewhere :tongue:

Did you enjoy any portion of the programme?
Reply 12
Heard mixed opinions on it some ppl said it was being at school for another month and some people loved it - personally I chose not to go as there’s only like 1 good week it seems
Original post by CTLeafez
In the long run it'll be beneficial. When you're working somewhere, you can't really decide who your colleagues are. Gotta develop some interpersonal skills somewhere :tongue:

Did you enjoy any portion of the programme?

That's true. But for me, it just didn't work, I'm too stubborn haha. I didn't really enjoy much apart from the rock climbing and that's about it.
Is anyone doing ncs this year ?
I’m going this year; when are you going like?
Original post by Paulina-sz
Is anyone doing ncs this year ?
I’m going phase 3 , when are you going ?, I don’t know anyone so I’m kinda stressed
Original post by PetitePanda
I’m going this year; when are you going like?
Original post by Paulina-sz
I’m going phase 3 , when are you going ?, I don’t know anyone so I’m kinda stressed

Idk what phase 3 is but I’m going on 22 July
i did it last year in wilmslow and it was ok but i do hate being forced to be friends with people and cliques can form which isnt ideal... it was v boring but if you havent got anything on ur cv its something to do for 4 weeks
I did NCS Oxfordshire, and I can say that it was the best experience of my entire life, especially as it was my first ever experience of proper friendship.
I also happen to know that in the first week there happened to be a Birmingham group staying in the same place as us lol (I found out in the most awkward way possible lmao)

I’m doing the Oxfordshire one next summer, I’ve heard lots of negatives though about being disorganised and bad food, is that the case with this one too??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending