The Student Room Group

Do protestant and Church of England share the same views ??

Im unsure of this Question need to know for my Short Coarse RS GCSE WJEC
varying opinions, Anglicanism does incorporate a lot of things from Catholicism despite branching from the Reformation so sometimes classes as both, a lot of reading available on google/Wikipedia too :smile:
CoE is protestant :s-smilie:
The CofE is one protestant sect, also known as Anglicanism.
There are many other protestant sects including: Adventism, Anabaptistism, Lutheranism, Methodism and Pentecostalism.
Different sects have different traditions and ideological focuses.
Reply 4
So ive got this revision sheet which another teacher made it has Anglican beliefs on it but in my class our teacher always taught us about Protestant, so are their views the same so then could just revise from the Sheet instead of always having to check their views don't collide ?
Original post by londonmyst
The CofE is one protestant sect, also known as Anglicanism.
There are many other protestant sects including: Adventism, Anabaptistism, Lutheranism, Methodism and Pentecostalism.
Different sects have different traditions and ideological focuses.
Reply 5
So are their views the same ?

Original post by Cryoraptor
CoE is protestant :s-smilie:
Original post by JaferAli
So ive got this revision sheet which another teacher made it has Anglican beliefs on it but in my class our teacher always taught us about Protestant, so are their views the same so then could just revise from the Sheet instead of always having to check their views don't collide ?

Anglican beliefs do have some beliefs in common with other protestant sects but there are also many differences.
Check all the different protestant beliefs, then make your own revision notes about shared beliefs and the differences between protestant sects.
Reply 7
For the short coarse exam I only need to know about Catholic and protestant I think - Also then do church of England have the Same views as protestant then since they're a Protestant sect?

Anglican beliefs do have some beliefs in common with other protestant sects but there are also many differences.
Check all the different protestant beliefs, then make your own revision notes about shared beliefs and the differences between protestant sects
(edited 5 years ago)

Protestant is an umbrella term for different denominations with pretty similar views.

It's not as simple as saying that they're "the same".

For example, Methodists and Anglicans are both Protestants, but have different views over e.g. alcohol.
There's no such thing as a 'protestant chuch'. A sect is protestant if it doesn't acknowledge the pope/goes against the pope. At the time it was conceived, the Anglican Church didn't recognise the pope as the leader and incorporated some protestant reformations but still held some Catholic traditions to keep both parties happy. If you're being asked about the differences then it will be in the context of 'what parts of the CoE did protestants agree and disagree with'. If your teacher is saying the CoE isn't protestant then they are wrong.
Reply 10
Depends. There are Anglo-Catholics (also known as high church) who have similar views to Roman Catholics and don't view themselves as protestant. There are also low churches who have more similar views to Methodists. The church of England is very broad, there are lots of churches who believe different things. It's wrong to classify them as simply protestant.

Protestants likewise believe lots of different things and have different ways of worshipping. Quakers worship by sitting in silence for an hour. Baptist churches most definitely do not worship in silence.

There are lots of similarities in all churches. All believe in the Bible, but have varying interpretations and ways of worship. It's complicated.
Reply 11
For my short coarse exam I only need to Know Catholic and Protestant, but I'm not sure what Protestant views are because they're in so many sects isn't there a way to like Generalise like Protestants believe this and this ?
Original post by katf
Depends. There are Anglo-Catholics (also known as high church) who have similar views to Roman Catholics and don't view themselves as protestant. There are also low churches who have more similar views to Methodists. The church of England is very broad, there are lots of churches who believe different things. It's wrong to classify them as simply protestant.

Protestants likewise believe lots of different things and have different ways of worshipping. Quakers worship by sitting in silence for an hour. Baptist churches most definitely do not worship in silence.

There are lots of similarities in all churches. All believe in the Bible, but have varying interpretations and ways of worship. It's complicated.
Reply 12
To what extent do I need to Know for my short coarse RS GCSE?

Original post by katf

Reply 13
For my short coarse exam I only need to Know Catholic and Protestant, but I'm not sure what Protestant views are because they're in so many sects isn't there a way to like Generalise like Protestants believe this and this ?

Not really. The only unifying belief amongst protestants is the rejection of the authority of the Pope. There are some differences between the approach to the Eucharist and whether Christ is actually present in the bread and wine or it's merely symbolic.

Generalisation quickly becomes offensive and is often inaccurate and flat out wrong. Christianity is a complicated faith. The differences between different churches and forms of worship are very complicated, and there's no way to generalise without being wrong.
For the short coarse exam I only need to know about Catholic and protestant I think - but do church of England have the Same views as protestant if so ill just put protestant ?

If you are going to revise with a table divided into half for catholic and protestant beliefs, focus on the points where all protestant groups agree and catholicism teaches different beliefs.
You don't want to be taking shortcuts that rely on very short summaries that are not accurate, when it comes to exam revision.
Reply 15
If you are going to revise with a table divided into half for catholic and protestant beliefs, focus on the points where all protestant groups agree and catholicism teaches different beliefs.
You don't want to be taking shortcuts that rely on very short summaries that are not accurate, when it comes to exam revision.

Not sure there are any points where all Protestants agree beyond the authority of the Pope.
Original post by katf
Not sure there are any points where all Protestants agree beyond the authority of the Pope.

There are a few, mainly based upon the three solas.
Also the rejection of vatican claims of exclusive monopoly upon the christian faith and reformation era repudiation of papal authority to claim title of God's representative on earth.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest