The Student Room Group

Wearing a hoodie with shorts? (good look or bad?)

I have noticed this combination has become quite popular in the UK in recent years, especially among boys, teenagers, students and men in their 20's, 30's and even 40's (though I have seen a few girls do it as well).

What do you think about this look? My girlfriend thinks it's cute and seems to like it when I show her pics on my smartphone of me wearing it. She actually prefers me wearing shorts over jeans.

I personally like it as it gives off a sort of relaxed, chilled vibe if you know what I mean. A nice casual, easy-going, sporty, comfortable outfit.

I know some people say "if it's not warm enough for a t-shirt then you shouldn't be wearing shorts" but the way I see it it's no different from wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants.

I have noticed this combo seems to be particularly popular with male college students, especially during the warmer months.

I do wear this combo sometimes, esspecially in the house, I find it very comfy, more comfortable than I would be in jeans and a t-shirt for example.

Yesterday it was 17C and Sunny and I went out wearing grey shorts with a t-shirt and a black zip-up hoodie, with the zipper pulled down a bit to make it look a bit more summery.

On the way back I pulled the zip fully open and pushed the sleeves up a bit, as it got quite warm. It felt very pleasant. :smile: I could have worn a t-shirt I suppose but:

1. There was a slight breeze.
2. My arms get cold a lot easier than my legs.
3. My house isn't usually warm enough to wear a t-shirt inside (indoor temp typically around 18-19C).

I find this combo very practical (esspecially with a zip-up hoodie) becuase if it gets too warm I can open the zipper and push the sleeves up or even take it off altogether and tie it round my waist and if it gets too cold I can put the hood up. Also I find I can regulate my body temperature better when I wear shorts (less likely to overheat when walking) than if I was wearing pants.

I also find this combination comfortable at night as well (say if it's 12C with no wind).

So do you wear this combination a lot are just when you are at the gym or playing sport?

Here are few examples to see what i mean:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eAkMZENCvqV7oRM68
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why so many breaks in your post?

Also, as a girl, I do this often.

Spoiler

For me, in most cases wearing shorts with long sleeves is a big no no. It just looks bizarre.
It's really not that deep. People tend to just feel the cold more easily in their shoulders/arms than in their legs.
Original post by batter mix
Why so many breaks in your post?

Also, as a girl, I do this often.

Spoiler

Sorry, typed this on a notepad before pasting it on here so that is why the formatting is a bit off.

EDIT: Fixed it now! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by randomsheep11
For me, in most cases wearing shorts with long sleeves is a big no no. It just looks bizarre.

Strange as I’ve always thought it looks cool myself. Anyway, today it is currently 19°C and sunny where I am with barely any breeze and I’m sat sunbathing in the bay window in the dining room so I’m in grey shorts and a black t-shirt. :smile:

What about men wearing long pants with tank tops?
(edited 5 years ago)
I think it looks hot especially
Also when men wear tank tops and stuff ... I like it when men normal tops or full sleeves
I find it quite casual and comfy to wear that combination, and it does look stylish too. :smile:
Original post by sinfonietta
It's really not that deep. People tend to just feel the cold more easily in their shoulders/arms than in their legs.

I’m a bit like that, esspecially at night.
This is a big, thought out thread for such a small thing. :lol: It looks fine. I don't really care or notice. I don't really wear that outfit because I only wear shorts when it's really hot and I would boil if I wore a hoodie. Maybe on holiday, if it's the evening, I would put a hoodie on to keep me warm from the nip in the air.
Original post by CollegeStudent99
I have noticed this combination has become quite popular in the UK in recent years, especially among boys, teenagers, students and men in their 20's, 30's and even 40's (though I have seen a few girls do it as well).

What do you think about this look? My girlfriend thinks it's cute and seems to like it when I show her pics on my smartphone of me wearing it. She actually prefers me wearing shorts over jeans.

I personally like it as it gives off a sort of relaxed, chilled vibe if you know what I mean. A nice casual, easy-going, sporty, comfortable outfit.

I know some people say "if it's not warm enough for a t-shirt then you shouldn't be wearing shorts" but the way I see it it's no different from wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants.

I have noticed this combo seems to be particularly popular with male college students, especially during the warmer months.

I do wear this combo sometimes, esspecially in the house, I find it very comfy, more comfortable than I would be in jeans and a t-shirt for example.

Yesterday it was 17C and Sunny and I went out wearing grey shorts with a t-shirt and a black zip-up hoodie, with the zipper pulled down a bit to make it look a bit more summery.

On the way back I pulled the zip fully open and pushed the sleeves up a bit, as it got quite warm. It felt very pleasant. :smile: I could have worn a t-shirt I suppose but:

1. There was a slight breeze.
2. My arms get cold a lot easier than my legs.
3. My house isn't usually warm enough to wear a t-shirt inside (indoor temp typically around 18-19C).

I find this combo very practical (esspecially with a zip-up hoodie) becuase if it gets too warm I can open the zipper and push the sleeves up or even take it off altogether and tie it round my waist and if it gets too cold I can put the hood up. Also I find I can regulate my body temperature better when I wear shorts (less likely to overheat when walking) than if I was wearing pants.

I also find this combination comfortable at night as well (say if it's 12C with no wind).

So do you wear this combination a lot are just when you are at the gym or playing sport?

Here are few examples to see what i mean:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eAkMZENCvqV7oRM68
I do that look pretty often when the weather allows. I agree with your point about taking off the hoody - you can't take off jeans if you get hot so there's better temperature control. I live in the south (where you from, dude?) so it gets very hot outside - but then you go to a bar or mall and it is often very cold because of the air conditioning so wearing a hoody stops you getting too cold inside without sacrificing your outdoor comfort.
Original post by randomsheep11

What if they push the sleeves up?

Also, I personally don't see how it is any different from wearing a t-shirt with sweatpants or a tank top with long pants.
I've never wore shorts before
Original post by Obolinda
I've never wore shorts before

WoW Really?

Not even for PE at school??

I find that hard to believe, but If you really haven't worn shorts before then you don't know what you're missing!

I love wearing shorts, esspecially when the suns out. 🙂☀️

I've also found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency so the more skin exposed to the sun the better! (I do wear sun cream though of course).
My parents wouldn't let me. I wear leggings or tracksuit bottoms for PE.

Original post by CollegeStudent99
WoW Really?

Not even for PE at school??

I find that hard to believe, but If you really haven't worn shorts before then you don't know what you're missing!

I love wearing shorts, esspecially when the suns out. 🙂☀️

I've also found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency so the more skin exposed to the sun the better! (I do wear sun cream though of course).
just wear whatever you want man, people don't care as much as you think.
Personally, I think it looks stupid. But each to their own...
I’m a girl and I love doing this!! It’s super comfy
Original post by Obolinda
My parents wouldn't let me. I wear leggings or tracksuit bottoms for PE.

You're not missing much.
The last time I wore shorts, my leg was bitten by a dog.

Quick Reply

Latest