The Student Room Group

Whats the difference between tree diagram and venn diagram/

Yr 12 here. Basically, why is it ok to times probabilties in tree diagrams without 'proportion' (you don't divide the wanted probability but the whole) but with venn diagrams you do (0.3 (probability of say sharks) / 0.7 (probability of fish)) ?

i hope i have contructed at least a broken bridge you can understand :P
Reply 1
Original post by Kangaroo17
Yr 12 here. Basically, why is it ok to times probabilties in tree diagrams without 'proportion' (you don't divide the wanted probability but the whole) but with venn diagrams you do (0.3 (probability of say sharks) / 0.7 (probability of fish)) ?

I think you're going to need to give us a proper example because it's not clear what you mean, at least to me.
Reply 2
Original post by Kangaroo17

This may help:

In the second column of a tree diagram you have conditional probabilities. In a Venn diagram you just have the probability e.g. P(N). Maybe that's what's confusing you?

Quick Reply

Latest