The Student Room Group

circles help

22.PNGso what ive done is i expanded the circle equation to get x^2-6x+y^2+6y-35=0 and then i substituted y=3/2x+c into the circle to eliminate y and got x^2-6x+9x^2/3+3xc+c^2+9x+6c
i dont know what to do at this point because i have 2 unknowns and i cant really use the discriminant because its not a quadratic. anyone help ?
the intersections are going to be the intersections of the circle with a line of gradient -2/3 that passes through the centre, which is a little easier to manage, but what you have there is a quadratic, find the discriminant and you should end up with a quadratic in c, because there are two possible values for c that cause a gradient 3/2 line to just touch the circle
(edited 5 years ago)
i dont get what you mean, becuase ive reattempted this question and used y=-2/3x+c and subbed it into x^2-6x+9+y^2+6y+9=52
and i got x^2-6x+9+4x^2/9-4xc/3+c^2-4x+6c+9=52
Reply 3
Original post by 13.oswin.tsang
i dont get what you mean, becuase ive reattempted this question and used y=-2/3x+c and subbed it into x^2-6x+9+y^2+6y+9=52
and i got x^2-6x+9+4x^2/9-4xc/3+c^2-4x+6c+9=52

This is very similar to the last question I helped you with. You need to group the x^2, x terms etc. like you did last time. Then use the discriminant.
Original post by Notnek
This is very similar to the last question I helped you with. You need to group the x^2, x terms etc. like you did last time. Then use the discriminant.

im stuck on this bit because theres a c^2 in the equation and i dont know how to group it. like i know that im meant to factorise to get it in the form ax^2+bx+c where a is what i factorised but i dont know how to do it with the c^2
Reply 5
im stuck on this bit because theres a c^2 in the equation and i dont know how to group it. like i know that im meant to factorise to get it in the form ax^2+bx+c where a is what i factorised but i dont know how to do it with the c^2

c^2 is a constant like 2 so group it with all the other numbers. So your ‘c’ could be something like

(c^2 + 5)
Original post by Notnek

ive just searched it up using the solution bank and ive just done it completely wrong, thats why i got c as a unknown..i shouldve used y=-2/3x+c and subbed the circle midpoint to find the equation of the diameter of the circle that is perpendicular to l1 and l2 then to solve it
Original post by Notnek
c^2 is a constant like 2 so group it with all the other numbers. So your ‘c’ could be something like

(c^2 + 5)

my equation that i have is 13x^2/9+c^2-2x-4xc/3+6c+9+9-52
Original post by Notnek

(c^2 + 5)

could i ask, when would u need to know to use the discriminant
I gave the question a try;
You usually never need to expand the equation of a circle. Instead, since it tells you the gradient of the tangents, you can work out the gradient of the line that passes through the centre and the two tangents (perpendicular). Then you can use that equation to find the intersection and allowing you to complete the rest of the question.

I hope this was helpful :smile:
Original post by ShylaB14
I gave the question a try;
You usually never need to expand the equation of a circle. Instead, since it tells you the gradient of the tangents, you can work out the gradient of the line that passes through the centre and the two tangents (perpendicular). Then you can use that equation to find the intersection and allowing you to complete the rest of the question.

I hope this was helpful :smile:

yeah thats how i ended up doing it at the end, because the first method i thought of didnt work. thanks !
but your original method WOULD work if/when you followed notnek's advice.

read your textbook about how/when to use discriminant to solve such problems/questions. it explains very clearly.

But you must be able to handle the algebra effectively, too.

There are many questions in the text book and online for you to see examples of where/how/why to use the discriminant in problems like this.
yeah thats how i ended up doing it at the end, because the first method i thought of didnt work. thanks !

Quick Reply

Latest