The Student Room Group

Woman burnt to death at Islamic school after sexual assault

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RichPiana
Some of them are raised in the UK, but that’s besides the point I was making. And someone who is from Bangladesh is known as a Bengali.

I believe it’s more to do with the level of corruption than simply just the culture or religion.

Religion heavily influences culture.
Reply 41
Original post by AJ126
It's not the people I have a problem with but their beliefs.And seeing as lots of countries are governed based on those beliefs.....

You can’t bash their beliefs without bashing them I’m afraid. Would you walk down to your local corner shop (or whatever) and declare the owner a racist, sexist, homophobe? Yes I realise this is a generalisation of egregious proportions but my point stands.
Are they? I can name but a handful. On the other hand almost every western country has Christianity as a de facto religion (if not de jure) and the legal system stems from the bible...
I have read many of your posts and just wanted to say please do not blame the religion. (I am muslim). The religion is not sexist/misogynistic or the other terms you have been using, it is just the society interpreting it wrong.
Some of the things that are prohibited by our religion and related to this case:
Adultery (having sex wit someone other than your spouse) violated
Insult
The unjust government
False testimony (probably was there)
Slander
Fraud
The injustice in general
lie
I am not some sort of scholar, this is the knowledge any muslim should have. Not saying my religion is perfect either. All these "rules" were violated directly or indirectly.
Original post by Napp
Long walk for a short drink of water kiddo.

Not at all.

Besides, the most toxic religion is quite clearly Christianity. I mean, you can admit that in all honesty or deny it and thus prove that not only are you utterly ignorant of what you try to speak of but are also a bigot (although given your posturing history...)

Christianity's text is an extremely toxic religion, but how it's practised has largely modernised, unlike Islam. You appear to be an apologist for horrendous crimes and no amount of throwing around words like "bigot" makes your points valid. Calling out beliefs for what they are, toxic and vile, isn't bigotry.
Original post by Napp
You can’t bash their beliefs without bashing them I’m afraid.

Yes you most certainly can. You really need to learn the difference between ideas and people. While they may be linked, they are most certainly not the same, fact. It is perfectly valid, under freedom of speech, to attack and criticise beliefs, while it is not legal to attack people and incite violence towards them. So on this point you are wrong, I'm afraid.
Reply 45
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Christianity's text is an extremely toxic religion, but how it's practised has largely modernised, unlike Islam. You appear to be an apologist for horrendous crimes and no amount of throwing around words like "bigot" makes your points valid. Calling out beliefs for what they are, toxic and vile, isn't bigotry.

How so?

Oh what clap trap. If Christianity were only practiced in europe you might have a point but europe is not the centre of the world anymore.
Ahahaha is that the best you can do? Throw baseless accusations? I never apologised for anything I merely called you out for abusing over a billion people.
All religions are toxic and vile, without exception, you’d do well to remember that instead of getting uppity over the one which happens to be foreign.
Original post by Napp
Long walk for a short drink of water kiddo.
Besides, the most toxic religion is quite clearly Christianity. I mean, you can admit that in all honesty or deny it and thus prove that not only are you utterly ignorant of what you try to speak of but are also a bigot (although given your posturing history...)

And yet the principle of separation between religion and state is pretty much non-existent in most Islamic countries.
Yes you most certainly can. You really need to learn the difference between ideas and people. While they may be linked, they are most certainly not the same, fact. It is perfectly valid, under freedom of speech, to attack and criticise beliefs, while it is not legal to attack people and incite violence towards them. So on this point you are wrong, I'm afraid.

You also need to learn the difference between the ideas and the people.
Reply 48
Original post by Soul Wavel3ngth
And yet the principle of separation between religion and state is pretty much non-existent in most Islamic countries.

Your point being...?
Although given that almost all western states (as I noted) derive their juris prudence from religion...
Original post by Napp
Oh what clap trap. If Christianity were only practiced in europe you might have a point but europe is not the centre of the world anymore.

Strawman. The fact Christianity in some places has modernised, whereas Islam hasn't anywhere, means that Christianity has modernised more than Islam. I never said that Christianity has modernised everywhere.

Ahahaha is that the best you can do? Throw baseless accusations? I never apologised for anything I merely called you out for abusing over a billion people.

Abusing over a billion people? Where have I abused anyone? I was calling out the beliefs, not the people.

All religions are toxic and vile, without exception, you’d do well to remember that instead of getting uppity over the one which happens to be foreign.

And I said Christianity's text is toxic, just like Islam's. You're just getting triggered because you were trying to get me to say Islam is toxic, but that Christianity is fine, so you could justify accusations of pseudo racism and xenophobia. Unfortunately for you it hasn't worked, the beliefs in that country are toxic and vile, and that would still be the case if those things were happening in European countries.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ibyghee
You also need to learn the difference between the ideas and the people.

No I don't, I know the difference perfectly. What makes you think otherwise?
Original post by Homo Fuge
Yes how admirable that this small island nation went round massacring natives of the countries they colonised and effectively tried to destroy their culture, forcing Christianity on them.

*salt levels critical*

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Napp
Your point being...?
Although given that almost all western states (as I noted) derive their juris prudence from religion...

Um I don't know.... Maybe sharia law? Homosexual sex being a criminal offense? Blasphemy laws? You must incredibly naïve if you think that the absence of separation between religion and state is a non-issue.
No I don't, I know the difference perfectly. What makes you think otherwise?

Because I follow the so-called toxic beliefs and I ain't sexually assaulting any wahmen :s-smilie: .
Original post by Napp
No you can’t, especially given the crap you spout.
It is a lazy and petulant excuse to be a tosser.
Opinion, not fact.
There is no freedom of speech. You have freeish speech, that is it. Only an utter moron would contend otherwise.
Нет.

Yes, you can, it's freedom of speech, deal with it. You're now just resorting to insults because you're supremely triggered and have no cogent argument. We can call Islam toxic, vile, backwards and horrendous, because it is, fact, and my ability to do so are protected by free speech. You cannot incite violence towards people without breaking the law.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Soul Wavel3ngth
Um I don't know.... Maybe sharia law? Homosexual sex being a criminal offense? Blasphemy laws? You must incredibly naïve if you think that the absence of separation between religion and state is a non-issue.

Err you do know those laws exist across the west right? Or at least did in many countries until very recently. You must be very ignorant if you don’t know such basic facts.
Original post by Napp
Do you even know what that means?
What a load of rubbish 😂
The implication was quite clear.
Please see above, if you need me to recite your comments back to you that’s a rather damning indictment of you.
Triggered? Oh very droll. Is that really the best you can do? Use some petulant trumpesque insult bereft of meaning? Bless you.
As for your quaint remarks on 164,700,000 people? You’re an idiot if you think you can tar (as you literally just did) people with the same brush.

atheist here, but it is quite clear that although the Bible like the Quran has violent (less than however) verses, it is Muslim countries where the majority of the world's fight against women's and human rights comes in fed by outdated reason from imo a mostly irrelevant 6th piece, which does have some good messages, but leads the way for things like this.

there arent many Christian women fleeing to countries like Saudi, but plenty in the reverse for good reason.

no western religion can lay claim to be peacefuly including Christianity and Islam, although there are good messages, this outdated construct is thankfully dying in this country for good reason :smile:

All religions including Islam should be open to be criticised and debated as for as, including its lending to extremist governments and repression against groups like women, slavery etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Strawman. The fact Christianity in some places has modernised, whereas Islam hasn't anywhere, means that Christianity has modernised more than Islam. I never said that Christianity has modernised everywhere.

Abusing over a billion people? Where have I abused anyone? I was calling out the beliefs, not the people.

And I said Christianity's text is toxic, just like Islam's. You're just getting triggered because you were trying to get me to say Islam is toxic, but that Christianity is fine, so you could justify accusations of pseudo racism and xenophobia. Unfortunately for you it hasn't worked, the beliefs in that country are toxic and vile, and that would still be the case if those things were happening in European countries.

Exactly, although Christianity is far from perfect, at least it has been reformed multiple times in order to make it compatible with a civilised society in which personal liberty, freedom of speech and safety from religious prosecution is valued.
Original post by Napp
Do you even know what that means?
What a load of rubbish 😂
The implication was quite clear.
Please see above, if you need me to recite your comments back to you that’s a rather damning indictment of you.
Triggered? Oh very droll. Is that really the best you can do? Use some petulant trumpesque insult bereft of meaning? Bless you.
As for your quaint remarks on 164,700,000 people? You’re an idiot if you think you can tar (as you literally just did) people with the same brush.

I agree, what you're spouting is risible, apologist rubbish :lol:

Oh, I have seen above and there's nothing that a "damning indictment". What's ridiculous is that you are trying to stop people rightly calling out a horrendous ideology and what it can inspire people to do.

It's true, you're triggered. There's nothing Trumpesque about it, is that the best you can do? Glibly accuse anyone who calls you out on your nonsense of being Trump's views? :rofl:

What quaint remarks? I repeat, I have made no remarks on people, I was calling out beliefs. If you disagree then please quote where I was insulting people.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Napp
You can’t bash their beliefs without bashing them I’m afraid. Would you walk down to your local corner shop (or whatever) and declare the owner a racist, sexist, homophobe? Yes I realise this is a generalisation of egregious proportions but my point stands.
Are they? I can name but a handful. On the other hand almost every western country has Christianity as a de facto religion (if not de jure) and the legal system stems from the bible...

Yes I can.Plenty of people believe that their lives are dictated by the movement of stars i.e astrology.I think thats a stupid belief and I'm perfectly entitled to say so.Doesnt mean I'd like a person less for believing it.

The difference is that in western countries nobody actually believes it.We might call ourselves a Christian country but it's in name only.The proportion of people who actually go to church every week and actually believe in Jesus Christ is only getting smaller.None of the decisions in government are made through reflecting on the bible.Its simply not relevant because most people don't believe in it.America of course is an exception but they are weird over there.

Contrast that with Muslim countries where the majority of the population believe in God and where the laws are based on what the Qur'an says.You would never in a western country for example be killed simply for being an atheist.This has happened in Bangladesh not that long ago.Someone was hacked to death with machetes simply for the crime of atheism.That just wouldn't happen here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending