The Student Room Group

Help with ram upgrade

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CommanderKeen
8G is enough

I need more because I need to run VMmachines more ram is preferable. I didnt get this laptop for gameing
i already have the laptop
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4

Open the base up and look at the current module installed - take the specs of that module and pop on to Amazon to find another in the capacity you want.

Slide the new one in, close the base, problem solved.
8G is enough for few VMs. The i5 wont handle many of them anyway. It is a gaming laptop, there are better options when it comes to running VMs only.Also, you might be better off by just running them on AWS and GCP free tiers.

Your laptop comes with 2 DIMM slots with each loaded with 4GB stick. So you have to throw one away to upgrade from 8G to 12G
Reply 7
Your laptop comes with 2 DIMM slots with each loaded with 4GB stick. So you have to throw one away to upgrade from 8G to 12G

Not necessarily - this laptop could have a single 8GB stick. Only way to tell is to open the base.
may be able to advise :smile:
No it does not, I checked 2x 4GB.
Original post by IWMTom
Not necessarily - this laptop could have a single 8GB stick. Only way to tell is to open the base.

so what do I do?
Do i just open the base find the spec info google it and make purchase? and replace it?

or should i get a professional to do this?
I have never done this before
(edited 5 years ago)
You can do it yourself, I can send you few links to the Amazon. How much ram you think you need? Laptop you picked can take p to 16gb sticks, so i you buy one 16gb stick you will then have 20gb ram, that is definitely enough.
Original post by 14yalamanchilig
so what do I do?
Do i just open the base find the spec info google it and make purchase? and replace it?

Reply 12

Checked where exactly..?

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/dell-g3-15-gaming-laptop,review-34422.html

"On our review unit, with 8GB of RAM, there was a free DIMM slot to allow you to upgrade to 16GB memory."

Clearly not every unit comes with 2x4GB.

EDIT: Even the Dell website states "8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz" !!!

Original post by 14yalamanchilig
so what do I do?

I have never done this before

Yep, it's really easy - a few screws and it just pops open. If you have one stick in there, happy days! Buy another 8GB stick of the same type (and speed!), fit it, close the case, done.

If you have two sticks installed (which I have my doubts about...) then you'll need to decide how to proceed - probably buy two 8GB sticks and keep the others as spares. Same procedure applies.

This guide explains how easy it is: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/g-series-15-3579-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf
(edited 5 years ago)
Pre-sale review unit with similar specs for the US market is not the same what ends up as the cheapest offering in the UK Currys. Dell issues gaming laptops with both slots populated unless customer specifies otherwise. You lose performance by using a single stick, it also costs more. So the default is 2x 4G
Original post by IWMTom
Checked where exactly..?

"On our review unit, with 8GB of RAM, there was a free DIMM slot to allow you to upgrade to 16GB memory."

Yep, it's really easy - a few screws and it just pops open. If you have one stick in there, happy days! Buy another 8GB stick of the same type (and speed!), fit it, close the case, done.

If you have two sticks installed (which I have my doubts about...) then you'll need to decide how to proceed - probably buy two 8GB sticks and keep the others as spares. Same procedure applies.

This guide explains how easy it is: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/g-series-15-3579-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf
Reply 14
Pre-sale review unit with similar specs for the US market is not the same what ends up as the cheapest offering in the UK Currys. Dell issues gaming laptops with both slots populated unless customer specifies otherwise. You lose performance by using a single stick, it also costs more. So the default is 2x 4G

You seem to have missed my edit - the Dell website quotes "8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz"!

Thanks for you help

Original post by IWMTom
Checked where exactly..?

EDIT: Even the Dell website states "8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz" !!!

You are a life saver...
Might be, it really depends on the version he is going to end up with. Dell G3 3000 3579 suppose to have both slots populated unless it is an Optane version.
Original post by IWMTom
You seem to have missed my edit - the Dell website quotes "8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz"!
4G modules are currently lot cheaper per G when bought in bulk, they are essentially the previous generation of the main stream DIMM, as now the most produced ones are 8G, Laptop production is heavily cost optimised process, if they can save $3 on using 4gb dimms they will, and every point they can squeeze from benchmarks for free, definitely counts.

When it comes to non production VMs, CPU matters a lot, especially on laptop where you suppose to work and run those vms. Linux server than knows that it's running in vm can work with about 120mb ram. It's all about comfort, you have to be able to switch between IDE, multiple shells, pdf reader and Chrome in meaningful manner without freezing and lags or you get suicidal really quick :biggrin: He is clearly a beginner, so I guess it's going be one instance of Ubuntu and Windows Server 2016. 8gb is more than enough.
Reply 18
I'd rep again if I could :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending