The Student Room Group

Chemistry - jump from AS to A2 - help!

Hi everyone,

About to finish chemistry AS this year and have really really enjoyed it, and was thinking about doing a chemistry degree. Everyone in the year above at my school absolutely hates chemistry (and pretty regularly see people on here complaining about it too), so I was wondering if it gets lots worse next year? If I've found it fine this year should it be the same next year? Obviously it's down to the individual, but is there a large leap from AS to A2?

Just wondering if my dreams of a chemistry degree will go out the window in september/if I should look at a wider degree of options at open days for unis (looking at biochem etc anyway, but if I should focus on a bigger range!)

Thanks for any replies!
it does get harder, a lot harder but if ur like me you'll enjoy it too
In what way does it get harder? Is it more content/more difficult questions/harder concepts? Or a mix of everything?
Thanks!
Original post by alstudent_2019
it does get harder, a lot harder but if ur like me you'll enjoy it too
I don't know how Year 1 is taught at your college, but in my college, both AS and A2 are integrated. For example, we were taught A2 periodicity and kinetics in AS, and we begin A2 organic after the easter holidays.

From what I've done and seen so far, it gets harder. A lot of what your learn in AS is essentially the 'basis' for your A2 content. Like, we learnt the AS Kinetics before A2 Kinetics, and everybody that AS kinetics was easy but we sh*t ourselves with A2 because of how big of a jump it was. But it was still really good.

I always talk to Yr 13s in our school and they all talk about how hard it is - in fact, chemistry is one of the hardest A-Levels. But they love it. I think if you enjoy it and try your hardest and do your work, you should be fine. No body will find it easy initially, but just stick with it, I suppose.
Original post by jsjsjsjs333
In what way does it get harder? Is it more content/more difficult questions/harder concepts? Or a mix of everything?
Thanks!

definitely a mix of that and more things to remember!
We teach AS and A2 separate - not really sure why (I think it might be so they can use last years AS paper for our mock, then predicted grade, rather than guessing boundaries? Maybe...). How are you finding the A2 material? Are most people in your class finding it bearable or way too hard to manage?

The year 13s at my school aren't that much to go by - I have a different teacher to them and they complained at AS too because the teacher they have isn't too great apparently.

How would you compare the AS/A2 jump to the GCSE/AS jump? :smile:
Original post by inoubliable
I don't know how Year 1 is taught at your college, but in my college, both AS and A2 are integrated. For example, we were taught A2 periodicity and kinetics in AS, and we begin A2 organic after the easter holidays.

From what I've done and seen so far, it gets harder. A lot of what your learn in AS is essentially the 'basis' for your A2 content. Like, we learnt the AS Kinetics before A2 Kinetics, and everybody that AS kinetics was easy but we sh*t ourselves with A2 because of how big of a jump it was. But it was still really good.

I always talk to Yr 13s in our school and they all talk about how hard it is - in fact, chemistry is one of the hardest A-Levels. But they love it. I think if you enjoy it and try your hardest and do your work, you should be fine. No body will find it easy initially, but just stick with it, I suppose.
thanks for you input :smile:
Original post by alstudent_2019
definitely a mix of that and more things to remember!
I don’t hate it, but I know a few people that do. It isn’t hard if you put effort in right from the start, to me it wasn’t that big of a jump and it was quite manageable, but I started going over everything and making revision resources as I went along.

If that’s your dream go for it and try it! If it doesn’t work there’s always different options
its a step up
the content is harder with things like NMR
overall things just come together a lot which can make it quite difficult
make sure you stay on top of things!
Reply 9
It’s not a very big jump, a lot of AS chemistry links with A2 chemistry. If you understand the basis of AS, then A2 will be fine. (Not saying it’s easier)
Original post by jsjsjsjs333
We teach AS and A2 separate - not really sure why (I think it might be so they can use last years AS paper for our mock, then predicted grade, rather than guessing boundaries? Maybe...). How are you finding the A2 material? Are most people in your class finding it bearable or way too hard to manage?

The year 13s at my school aren't that much to go by - I have a different teacher to them and they complained at AS too because the teacher they have isn't too great apparently.

How would you compare the AS/A2 jump to the GCSE/AS jump? :smile:

The A2 material is definitely harder than the AS material. But I think if you are completely confident in your AS knowledge in that chapter, or in the basic knowledge you need going into that chapter, that should be quite helpful, considering most of it is just a development on ideas and things you already know. As for my class, we have a range, definitely. Thankfully, we are a very small class of 10 and the people who are more confident can help the less confident people. I can tell you that none of us start confident in it, we have to practice a lot, make mistakes, ask the teacher, restart etc. Definitely use the people in your class, especially those who seem to get it.

tbh I thought the GCSE-AS jump was pretty seamless. I know the year above us struggled, but I think that's because of the new GCSEs which really help the bridge. The AS-A2 jump in the topics we've done, and are to do, are definitely based on how well you understand the topics you have been taught already. The people that weren't confident with AS periodicity/Kinetics struggled a lot with A2 periodicity/Kinetics, but they eventually got there. But it is still quite a jump, imo.
Thanks for your help! I found the GCSE/AS jump not too bad either, especially since we started with periodicity and bonding and that, which is pretty much gcse. I guess I'll just see how it goes next year... Thanks again :smile:
Original post by inoubliable
The A2 material is definitely harder than the AS material. But I think if you are completely confident in your AS knowledge in that chapter, or in the basic knowledge you need going into that chapter, that should be quite helpful, considering most of it is just a development on ideas and things you already know. As for my class, we have a range, definitely. Thankfully, we are a very small class of 10 and the people who are more confident can help the less confident people. I can tell you that none of us start confident in it, we have to practice a lot, make mistakes, ask the teacher, restart etc. Definitely use the people in your class, especially those who seem to get it.

tbh I thought the GCSE-AS jump was pretty seamless. I know the year above us struggled, but I think that's because of the new GCSEs which really help the bridge. The AS-A2 jump in the topics we've done, and are to do, are definitely based on how well you understand the topics you have been taught already. The people that weren't confident with AS periodicity/Kinetics struggled a lot with A2 periodicity/Kinetics, but they eventually got there. But it is still quite a jump, imo.
I personally think AS chem is super easy and A2 is defo a lot harder but A2 is so so so much more interesting and as I love it so much I work hard for it, so the gap didn’t really affect me

Quick Reply

Latest