The Student Room Group

European parliamentary elections

What do you feel the upcoming EU parliamentary elections will say about how the UK feels about our membership of the EU?
Would you accept that a huge vote for the brexit party/UKIP is a massive indictment against the EU and also our Governments/Parliaments failure to agree a deal to leave the workings of the EU.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
It could be argued that the 2019 Euro Elections in the UK are a unfortunate consequence of the incompetence of Parliament in securing a deal then leaving the EU before the election takes place. It is a Euro Election unlike all previous Euro Elections.

Therefore is there any sensible reason why any parties other than the Brexit Party, Lib-Dems, SNP, and the Islamophobic rump of UKIP should contest them? If Labour and Conservative field candidates, even out of tradition of taking part and providing the choice on the ballot slip, then what message does this convey to the voters? Does it imply that both parties at heart oppose Brexit and believe that Britain remains in the EU indefinitely?

A straight fight between the Brexit Party and the pro-EU Lib-Dems will turn the Euro Elections into a virtual second referendum that so many folk are demanding, but other parties will result in a far less clear outcome as to whether the public still wants Britain to leave the EU.
As allegedly one of the very main parties activists are not bothering proselytising in the run-up to May’s unsought election , (due to the dire state of uk politics and non deliverance they claim) then I could see almost any vote outcome being a protest against our government, as you postulated.

I don’t think that we’ll be able to read much pro or anti european union into the results, well , it *might* be possible - say the turnout was down from its usual ~34%, to perhaps ~27%, that would be an indication of “I’m not bovvered about EU”, but should the turnout be over and above the historic lows, that to me would perhaps be an almost pointless actual use of the European democratic tools. A genuine last-gasp interest in the EU.

That which might be extremely interesting, is if the UK proportional representation votes under the May EU elections manage to sway the power balance in the European Parliament such that the “wrong” spitzenkandidat is elected as head of the European Commission.

Further reading required, EPP, ACRE, PES, ALDE, EGP... a loud voiced former banker and their other old party are not the most interesting feature of these elections, it is who will get the 385 MEP bloc first?
Reply 3
This round of elections is a blessing, like a valve for people to vent out their exasperation at the whole thing. Free from the constraints imposed by a general election or even local ones, where there is much more at stake than a bunch of politicos going to live the life in Brussels, this is the freest of votes we can dream of. It's all about Brexit and in a way it's going to be that second referendum. For the first time ever, I'll be voting away from base and delighted at the opportunity. The Brexit party are the protest vote by disillusioned Brexiteers and democrats, they'll be on the way to that Euro parliament only to muck it up as they can. Only positive brought about by yet another pointless extension.
Reply 4
But aren't the younger generation going to vote Labour, not because of Brexit but because of Jeremy Corbyn their superhero?
Reply 5
Original post by Arran90
But aren't the younger generation going to vote Labour, not because of Brexit but because of Jeremy Corbyn their superhero?

Possibly, but they are they in for a shock!
Reply 6
Sorry I forgot to mention in my OP that I will accept that my dream of leaving the godforsaken institution that is the EU would almost certainly be over in the case of a large remain backing vote.
Tbh something tells me that it won't happen anyway unless there's a general election and the brexit party/UKIP win a **** load of seats.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by LuigiMario
As allegedly one of the very main parties activists are not bothering proselytising in the run-up to May’s unsought election , (due to the dire state of uk politics and non deliverance they claim) then I could see almost any vote outcome being a protest against our government, as you postulated.

I don’t think that we’ll be able to read much pro or anti european union into the results, well , it *might* be possible - say the turnout was down from its usual ~34%, to perhaps ~27%, that would be an indication of “I’m not bovvered about EU”, but should the turnout be over and above the historic lows, that to me would perhaps be an almost pointless actual use of the European democratic tools. A genuine last-gasp interest in the EU.

That which might be extremely interesting, is if the UK proportional representation votes under the May EU elections manage to sway the power balance in the European Parliament such that the “wrong” spitzenkandidat is elected as head of the European Commission.

Further reading required, EPP, ACRE, PES, ALDE, EGP... a loud voiced former banker and their other old party are not the most interesting feature of these elections, it is who will get the 385 MEP bloc first?

This is a very interesting point, there is a possibility that Eurosceptic parties will make huge gains around Europe, where would the EU stand if this group formed the biggest bloc, this could be made even more ironic if it's a large vote for The Brexit party/UKIP here that makes the difference.
As I live in the North and previously lived South I have no choice but to vote tactically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending