The Student Room Group

GCSE English grade 9 exemplar answers

The exemplars have been removed.

Inspired by @_gcx and his post ten months ago, I have decided to post my English scripts. I achieved two grade 9s in English last year. I have handed these scripts to a few people, but this is just an easier way to link them, and it's open to everyone. The post: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5390332
I got my scripts a while ago, but only recently has the awarding body decided to release their papers. I post this early so people can see what decent answers look like, just like _gcx decided to. (I wonder if this will become a trend?)

In the two documents in this post, you will see my answers. Let's not be too harsh please, haha. You might see me prattle on a bit, and you might see some long answers.

For English literature, I studied Romeo & Juliet, An Inspector Calls, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and power and conflict poetry. I scored 78/80 in the first paper and 76/80 in the second. You might have to scroll down a bit to see the answers because these were typed.

These are the English literature papers that I sat:

Spoiler

For English language, I scored 59/64 in the first paper (full marks in the creative writing though, which was a nice consolation) and 96/96 in the second paper.

These are the English language papers that I sat:

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aw thats really nice of u thankssss
Reply 2
Original post by jjjjxxx
Aw thats really nice of u thankssss

Final words before ideas are stolen... :wink:
Reply 3
im afraid ur precious ideas wont let me steal them from the rightful owner:tongue: the links dont work:colone:
Original post by Tolgarda
Final words before ideas are stolen... :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by jjjjxxx
im afraid ur precious ideas wont let me steal them from the rightful owner:tongue: the links dont work:colone:

Ah drat, I've put them up again. I tried to be too fancy but aesthetics aren't worth it if people can't access the content. Let's see if they still don't work. I've made them public and they seem just fine for me aha.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Im sorry for being so annoying but they still dont work:biggrin:
Ah drat, I've put them up again. I tried to be too fancy but aesthetics aren't very good if people can't access the content. Let's see if they still don't work. I've made them public and they seem just fine for me aha.
Reply 6
Original post by jjjjxxx
Im sorry for being so annoying but they still dont work:biggrin:

If someone else raises the issue, I will act, but until then, they seem to be working fine even when I'm not logged in to my Google Drive account. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
nice one.

links worked for me when you posted the thread and still work now.
Reply 8
ohh no worries thanks anyways x
If someone else raises the issue, I will act, but until then, they seem to be working fine even when I'm not logged in to my Google Drive account. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Reply 9
Original post by jjjjxxx
ohh no worries thanks anyways x

No problem. Best of luck with your examinations. If you need any help for English language (with any form of creative writing or Edexcel's reading-comprehension questions) or English literature (mainly with the text that I've studied or with Edexcel answer structure), just PM me. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by _gcx
nice one.

links worked for me when you posted the thread and still work now.

Thanks. I think I'll just keep the thread like this. Nothing wrong with that. On the flip side, I have learnt a new skill. Thanks for the information. :smile:
It might help if somebody else who did AQA did this as well.
Reply 12
Original post by mjhmichael18
It might help if somebody else who did AQA did this as well.

The post for last year's cohort was for AQA. The poor Edexcel kids probably need something like this too, lol.
Wow! Incredible! Definitely deserved that grade. May I ask how you approached english revision?
Reply 14
Original post by Littlegeekgirl_
Wow! Incredible! Definitely deserved that grade. May I ask how you approached english revision?

After learning all the prescribed texts, I practised the **** out of a set of practice questions my teacher gave our class.

I was also fortunate enough to have a bank of practice papers with me for English langauge. I remember my last feedback from revision being an e-mail from my teacher the night before the exam for the second language paper.
Reply 15
Inspired by @_gcx and his post ten months ago, I have decided to post my English scripts. I achieved two grade 9s in English last year. I have handed these scripts to a few people, but this is just an easier way to link them, and it's open to everyone. The post: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5390332
I got my scripts a while ago, but only recently has the awarding body decided to release their papers. I post this early so people can see what decent answers look like, just like _gcx decided to. (I wonder if this will become a trend?)

In the two documents in this post, you will see my answers. Let's not be too harsh please, haha. You might see me prattle on a bit, and you might see some long answers.

For English literature, I studied Romeo & Juliet, An Inspector Calls, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and power and conflict poetry. I scored 78/80 in the first paper and 76/80 in the second. You might have to scroll down a bit to see the answers because these were typed.

Spoiler

For English language, I scored 59/64 in the first paper (full marks in the creative writing though, which was a nice consolation) and 96/96 in the second paper.

Spoiler

English langauge papers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj1p4oA5EvcYTJ0YjVwb0s5TWZ3NUc0ZWx6aUZoLTQzQjFv/view?usp=sharing
Englihs literature papers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj1p4oA5EvcQ3FOdUpnbEl0cjBmdGdoUllNaFJXTVBwS0tB/view?usp=sharing

Could this be applicable to AQA English? I've studied Macbeth, an inspector calls Frankenstein and power and conflict however on the AQA spec
Reply 16
Original post by miss_ambitious
Could this be applicable to AQA English? I've studied Macbeth, an inspector calls Frankenstein and power and conflict however on the AQA spec

In your case, unfortunately not (for the most part). The two specifications not only mainly require different essay structures for their answers, but you've only really studied one of the texts that I did.

However, you can still probably use this for power and conflict poetry, and DEFINITELY for comparisons between unseen poems. :smile:

English language can mainly be applied as well.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
In your case, unfortunately not. (for the most part). The two specifications not only mainly require different essay structures for their answers, but you've only really studied one of the texts that I did.

However, you can still probably use this for power and conflict poetry, and DEFINITELY for comparisons between unseen poems. :smile:

English language can mainly be applied as well.

Thanks for answering, also may I say congratulations on your grade, you should be really proud :smile: Can I ask, how did you revise for eng lit and eng lang? I'm currently doing GCSEs, and I'm really confused as to how to revise and remember all those quotes.
Reply 18
Original post by miss_ambitious
Thanks for answering, also may I say congratulations on your grade, you should be really proud :smile: Can I ask, how did you revise for eng lit and eng lang? I'm currently doing GCSEs, and I'm really confused as to how to revise and remember all those quotes.

The post above explains how I mostly revised, but I just stored memorable quotes in my head. If you read the answer for Romeo & Juliet, you'll see that I only remembered quotes from a specific scene, and I really liked Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, so the quotes stuck with me (ditto for An Inspector Calls). I heavily focused my revision on Exposure for poetry, so I was fortunate that it came up. That's now the cookie crumbles really.
(edited 4 years ago)

Spoiler

Spoiler

English langauge papers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj1p4oA5EvcYTJ0YjVwb0s5TWZ3NUc0ZWx6aUZoLTQzQjFv/view?usp=sharing
Englihs literature papers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj1p4oA5EvcQ3FOdUpnbEl0cjBmdGdoUllNaFJXTVBwS0tB/view?usp=sharing

How did you get your papers?