Want to self study in my 2nd year of A levels but how do I go about this Watch

DJones0909
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So im about to come to the end of my first year of A levels (Business,psychology and computer science) and I'm currently on course for A,A,B so im doing really well but thats mostly down to my work that I put in rather than the teachers ability. There isnt anything wrong with the teachers (apart from that we have had quite a few supply lessons this year) but alot of the work that ive done this year has all been from learning through textbooks and other sources and applying that knowledge in assignments and other pieces of work (Especially in computer science and Psychology). Im at a point where I realise I can do all of the work that im currently doing at home and I know Im capable of doing so. I'm also doing external work outside of college (Drama, Charity work, occasional travelling etc) and these are all really important to me and it would be alot easier for me to be able to not have this fixed timetable schedule for my next year and therefore I can plan my time accordingly. My college offers Exam services with it being £100 per A level unit. I've given this alot of thought and I feel like its the right decision for me. Should I go to my college immediately about this or do I wait till the end of the college year because I'm not sure if its possible for this to be effective immediately, also I havent told my parents about this and I doubt theyll agree with my decision (Im 17 but they treat me as if im 12 regarding decision making mostly due to being over protective) so any advice on how to tell them and convince them would be great too.
Lady Jamie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not sure about the admin and procedural stuff as my high school was quite different.

Re the parents: I just sat them down and told them the rationale behind my decision. Gave them a list of reasons, supporting points (e.g: good academic history, my teachers & their teaching style, my learning style, good prep for uni etc...), and addressed their concerns. Present yourself in a way to show that you are mature enough to make this decision.

Edit* Happy to pm my experience with self-studying/techniques & whether or not I would personally recommend it.
Last edited by Lady Jamie; 2 months ago
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
Not sure about the admin and procedural stuff as my high school was quite different.

Re the parents: I just sat them down and told them the rationale behind my decision. Gave them a list of reasons, supporting points (e.g: good academic history, my teachers & their teaching style, my learning style, good prep for uni etc...), and addressed their concerns. Present yourself in a way to show that you are mature enough to make this decision.

Edit* Happy to pm my experience with self-studying/techniques & whether or not I would personally recommend it.
Hi, I'm actually self studying my A-Levels rn, any tips for the road ahead would go a long way :chaplin:
Lady Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
Hi, I'm actually self studying my A-Levels rn, any tips for the road ahead would go a long way :chaplin:
pmed
bmgrace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by DJones0909)
So im about to come to the end of my first year of A levels (Business,psychology and computer science) and I'm currently on course for A,A,B so im doing really well but thats mostly down to my work that I put in rather than the teachers ability. There isnt anything wrong with the teachers (apart from that we have had quite a few supply lessons this year) but alot of the work that ive done this year has all been from learning through textbooks and other sources and applying that knowledge in assignments and other pieces of work (Especially in computer science and Psychology). Im at a point where I realise I can do all of the work that im currently doing at home and I know Im capable of doing so. I'm also doing external work outside of college (Drama, Charity work, occasional travelling etc) and these are all really important to me and it would be alot easier for me to be able to not have this fixed timetable schedule for my next year and therefore I can plan my time accordingly. My college offers Exam services with it being £100 per A level unit. I've given this alot of thought and I feel like its the right decision for me. Should I go to my college immediately about this or do I wait till the end of the college year because I'm not sure if its possible for this to be effective immediately, also I havent told my parents about this and I doubt theyll agree with my decision (Im 17 but they treat me as if im 12 regarding decision making mostly due to being over protective) so any advice on how to tell them and convince them would be great too.
Be careful, because whilst having free time is great and you may feel like you could do this all by yourself, it’s not as easy as you think. I’m currently self studying History and whilst m managing I don’t think doing things like this is for everyone. You could have all the time in the world but if you don’t know how to manage it and lack routine, you’ll find that things easily go wrong. If you think you’re up to it though, then do it, but remember it takes A LOT! Feel free to messsge me if you have any questions.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Computer Science may be a problem- I don't think it's available to private candidates because of the non-examination assessment. You'd need to be sure that your current school (or another centre) was willing to enter you as a centre candidate for this and to mark your NEA.
DJones0909
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Yeah ive seen that, OCR website says its up to the school to decide so Ill be sure to bring that up
(Original post by Compost)
Computer Science may be a problem- I don't think it's available to private candidates because of the non-examination assessment. You'd need to be sure that your current school (or another centre) was willing to enter you as a centre candidate for this and to mark your NEA.
Last edited by DJones0909; 2 months ago
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by DJones0909)
Yeah ive seen that, OCR website says its up to the school to decide so Ill be sure to bring that up
OCR is slightly more lenient than AQA on this but the school will have to be prepared to authenticate the work as yours (more possible than usual as they've taught you for a year) and monitor and mark your work. Expect to pay extra for this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (22)
25.58%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (24)
27.91%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (19)
22.09%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (7)
8.14%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (14)
16.28%

Watched Threads