The Student Room Group

Qutting university to do youtube?

Long story short, I am a third year student doing pharmacy (4 year course) and I am making more than enough money to make a living. Some months I can earn as much as 7k (Minimum 2k) so I dont see the point of studying anymore..Any thoughts??

Scroll to see replies

You're in 3rd year so you might as well finish the degree even if you dont think you'll use it in the future. Youtube isnt the most reliable so it would be better to have the degree as a back up just in case
Reply 2
YouTube is not a career in my opinion, however, what you are studying is a very good course and you should continue with the course.
Get your degree then see. Social media platforms come and go. A change in popularity or the payment algorithm and the rug is pulled from under your feet.
Reply 4
How is it not a career if I am getting paid that much doing it part time?
Original post by Hamaads
YouTube is not a career in my opinion, however, what you are studying is a very good course and you should continue with the course.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
How is it not a career if I am getting paid that much doing it part time?

Look over the other reply
Reply 6
Finish your degree. It's one more year and it'll give you a good fallback if YouTube goes tits up for whatever reason. It's one more year, not that long.
Reply 7
I get that its good to have the degree but it requires so much time and effort for something I will probably not use in the future
Original post by katf
Finish your degree. It's one more year and it'll give you a good fallback if YouTube goes tits up for whatever reason. It's one more year, not that long.
Reply 8
Do what makes you happy.

Money is nice but give it a few years and you soon realize that money does not = happiness.

I've quite a well paying job to go back to study because although the money was nice the job was just soul destroying.
Reply 9
I know I didnt make it clear but Im having the best time doing youtube. What was your job btw?
Original post by adam271
Do what makes you happy.

Money is nice but give it a few years and you soon realize that money does not = happiness.

I've quite a well paying job to go back to study because although the money was nice the job was just soul destroying.
It’s not a stable income. why don’t you just do youtube as a part time job and make extra money?
I am doing that atm but its the fact that i enjoy it a lot and i can make so much more if I put more time to it
Original post by CHANEL&DIAMONDS
It’s not a stable income. why don’t you just do youtube as a part time job and make extra money?
I am doing that atm but its the fact that i enjoy it a lot and i can make so much more if I put more time to it

you’re already in your 3rd year, you may aswell finish it though. 3 years wasted then.
Long story short, I am a third year student doing pharmacy (4 year course) and I am making more than enough money to make a living. Some months I can earn as much as 7k (Minimum 2k) so I dont see the point of studying anymore..Any thoughts??

i smell fibs. if this was true you wouldn't be anonymous - you'd be telling everyone your name on youtube
I dont need to lol
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i smell fibs. if this was true you wouldn't be anonymous - you'd be telling everyone your name on youtube
Reply 15
I get that its good to have the degree but it requires so much time and effort for something I will probably not use in the future

What's the plan if for some reason YouTube goes away and you don't have the degree? It's not a stable career and it can go away at any time.
Reply 16
What’s your channel
What if it doesnt go away?
Original post by katf
What's the plan if for some reason YouTube goes away and you don't have the degree? It's not a stable career and it can go away at any time.
Youtube isnt a stable career, and youre in 3rd year anyway so you might as well finish to at least have a back up.
I have a friend, several actually, who rely on YT for income.

Sadly (well, not sadly, but for the sake of this discussion) only one of them actually went to Uni while sorting out his YT career, and he isn't exactly the biggest of the few. However he does earn enough to live on rather comfortably.

Ad revenue isn't stable generally, with large variations month to month, so that's worth considering. The actual way that they calculate revenue changes periodically, too, as you might know from that scat a few years ago now with YT changing things around and demonetising a lot of random videos. In the long term, you need to also realise that it's an entertainment industry and you might not always stay relevant dependent on what you do.

If in the future your revenue were halved or perhaps quartered, you might have issues. Frankly with the ~£7,000 I don't think it'd be a problem, I live comfortably on something like £16,000 from my student loans/bursaries, but hey. I'm a student who lives rent free in my uncles flat.

Anyway,

Be cautious. It's one more year of hard work, and you get your degree. If you lose that YT career, which is possible bear in mind, you still have your degree which you can use.

Plus frankly who the heck doesn't want a degree at that point? Three years in you might as well do the whole lap. Same goes for anything in life, if you're already that far in, you take it all the way. Make a suicide joke or something else for all I care, there are some moral exceptions, but this imo isn't one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending