Qutting university to do youtube? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Long story short, I am a third year student doing pharmacy (4 year course) and I am making more than enough money to make a living. Some months I can earn as much as 7k (Minimum 2k) so I dont see the point of studying anymore..Any thoughts??
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
You're in 3rd year so you might as well finish the degree even if you dont think you'll use it in the future. Youtube isnt the most reliable so it would be better to have the degree as a back up just in case
HSet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
YouTube is not a career in my opinion, however, what you are studying is a very good course and you should continue with the course.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Apachecow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Get your degree then see. Social media platforms come and go. A change in popularity or the payment algorithm and the rug is pulled from under your feet.
Anonymous #1
How is it not a career if I am getting paid that much doing it part time?
(Original post by Hamaads)
YouTube is not a career in my opinion, however, what you are studying is a very good course and you should continue with the course.
HSet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How is it not a career if I am getting paid that much doing it part time?
Look over the other reply
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Finish your degree. It's one more year and it'll give you a good fallback if YouTube goes tits up for whatever reason. It's one more year, not that long.
Anonymous #1
I get that its good to have the degree but it requires so much time and effort for something I will probably not use in the future
(Original post by katf)
Finish your degree. It's one more year and it'll give you a good fallback if YouTube goes tits up for whatever reason. It's one more year, not that long.
adam271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do what makes you happy.

Money is nice but give it a few years and you soon realize that money does not = happiness.

I've quite a well paying job to go back to study because although the money was nice the job was just soul destroying.
Anonymous #1
I know I didnt make it clear but Im having the best time doing youtube. What was your job btw?
(Original post by adam271)
Do what makes you happy.

Money is nice but give it a few years and you soon realize that money does not = happiness.

I've quite a well paying job to go back to study because although the money was nice the job was just soul destroying.
CHANELDIAMONDS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It’s not a stable income. why don’t you just do youtube as a part time job and make extra money?
Anonymous #1
I am doing that atm but its the fact that i enjoy it a lot and i can make so much more if I put more time to it
(Original post by CHANEL&DIAMONDS)
It’s not a stable income. why don’t you just do youtube as a part time job and make extra money?
CHANELDIAMONDS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am doing that atm but its the fact that i enjoy it a lot and i can make so much more if I put more time to it
you’re already in your 3rd year, you may aswell finish it though. 3 years wasted then.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Long story short, I am a third year student doing pharmacy (4 year course) and I am making more than enough money to make a living. Some months I can earn as much as 7k (Minimum 2k) so I dont see the point of studying anymore..Any thoughts??
i smell fibs. if this was true you wouldn't be anonymous - you'd be telling everyone your name on youtube
Anonymous #1
I dont need to lol
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
i smell fibs. if this was true you wouldn't be anonymous - you'd be telling everyone your name on youtube
katf
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I get that its good to have the degree but it requires so much time and effort for something I will probably not use in the future
What's the plan if for some reason YouTube goes away and you don't have the degree? It's not a stable career and it can go away at any time.
Dunno_1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What’s your channel
Anonymous #1
What if it doesnt go away?
(Original post by katf)
What's the plan if for some reason YouTube goes away and you don't have the degree? It's not a stable career and it can go away at any time.
Steph4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Youtube isnt a stable career, and youre in 3rd year anyway so you might as well finish to at least have a back up.
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have a friend, several actually, who rely on YT for income.

Sadly (well, not sadly, but for the sake of this discussion) only one of them actually went to Uni while sorting out his YT career, and he isn't exactly the biggest of the few. However he does earn enough to live on rather comfortably.

Ad revenue isn't stable generally, with large variations month to month, so that's worth considering. The actual way that they calculate revenue changes periodically, too, as you might know from that scat a few years ago now with YT changing things around and demonetising a lot of random videos. In the long term, you need to also realise that it's an entertainment industry and you might not always stay relevant dependent on what you do.

If in the future your revenue were halved or perhaps quartered, you might have issues. Frankly with the ~£7,000 I don't think it'd be a problem, I live comfortably on something like £16,000 from my student loans/bursaries, but hey. I'm a student who lives rent free in my uncles flat.

Anyway,

Be cautious. It's one more year of hard work, and you get your degree. If you lose that YT career, which is possible bear in mind, you still have your degree which you can use.

Plus frankly who the heck doesn't want a degree at that point? Three years in you might as well do the whole lap. Same goes for anything in life, if you're already that far in, you take it all the way. Make a suicide joke or something else for all I care, there are some moral exceptions, but this imo isn't one of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (17)
35.42%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (14)
29.17%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (9)
18.75%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (3)
6.25%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (5)
10.42%

Watched Threads