The Student Room Group

Moved To Tills Permanently; Severe Mathematics Problems...

I never realized how utterly stupid I was with counting until I was put on the tills at work. I work at a football stadium part-time; the till TELLS you what change you're to give out, hence why I was fairly confident there wouldn't be a problem. Now, at the beginning of my shift, my manager told me (and everyone else really) how much he saw me struggling with the tills. At the end of the shift, he tells me he's moving me onto the tills permanently... Oh boy.

If I still manage to give out the wrong change, and someone points it out... I literally cannot work out what's being said. There's an incredible lack of comprehension about the numbers. People could be speaking Chinese to me and it'd register the same. So say that I give someone the wrong change, and they say "I paid ___ for this, you gave me ___"... I can't recover from this. I can't remember what the prices were supposed to be, and I have absolutely no comprehension about how much change to give them. For some reason, I can't grasp what it means when someone says 'Have you got change for a £20' either. I mean, surely it just means 'do you have two tenners at hand? Do you have enough money to make change for £20'?

Say if something cost £7, and a customer gave me £10... I'd know without a problem to give them £3. But adding pences just blows my tiny little mind out the water.

It's really bleak. It's literally got me so concerned about my mathematics that I'm thinking of going to a doctors about it. What do you guys think? Is it just a matter of having to practice/educate myself about numbers? Or does it sound more severe?

I wouldn't call myself an unintelligent person, but I definitely come off those tills feeling pretty special needs, LOL.
Original post by Ashfire45
I never realized how utterly stupid I was with counting until I was put on the tills at work. I work at a football stadium part-time; the till TELLS you what change you're to give out, hence why I was fairly confident there wouldn't be a problem. Now, at the beginning of my shift, my manager told me (and everyone else really) how much he saw me struggling with the tills. At the end of the shift, he tells me he's moving me onto the tills permanently... Oh boy.

If I still manage to give out the wrong change, and someone points it out... I literally cannot work out what's being said. There's an incredible lack of comprehension about the numbers. People could be speaking Chinese to me and it'd register the same. So say that I give someone the wrong change, and they say "I paid ___ for this, you gave me ___"... I can't recover from this. I can't remember what the prices were supposed to be, and I have absolutely no comprehension about how much change to give them. For some reason, I can't grasp what it means when someone says 'Have you got change for a £20' either. I mean, surely it just means 'do you have two tenners at hand? Do you have enough money to make change for £20'?

Say if something cost £7, and a customer gave me £10... I'd know without a problem to give them £3. But adding pences just blows my tiny little mind out the water.

It's really bleak. It's literally got me so concerned about my mathematics that I'm thinking of going to a doctors about it. What do you guys think? Is it just a matter of having to practice/educate myself about numbers? Or does it sound more severe?

I wouldn't call myself an unintelligent person, but I definitely come off those tills feeling pretty special needs, LOL.

Have you ever looked into dyscalculia? I'd definitely look it up and see if it's something you think might be worth seeking advice on!
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Have you ever looked into dyscalculia? I'd definitely look it up and see if it's something you think might be worth seeking advice on!

Hi there! I took your advice and read up on it - and it's insane how much of the criteria I fit! It goes beyond maths, things like absent-mindedness, not being able to find my way out of streets I know really well, absolutely no chance of remembering phone numbers if they're said to me, things like that. Unfortunately, to get assessed, I'd have to pay £600 to see an Educational Psychologist (funnily enough what I'm studying to be, LOL)

Thanks for the guidance! I feel this explains so much of my weaknesses, it's just a shame it seems unlikely I'll ever get an official diagnosis.
If you cannot afford a proper formal assessment, take this one it's free of charge and only takes 20 minutes to complete- http://www.educational-psychologist.co.uk/free-tests/
Reply 4
Original post by Visual_Learner
If you cannot afford a proper formal assessment, take this one it's free of charge and only takes 20 minutes to complete- http://www.educational-psychologist.co.uk/free-tests/

You know, I 'breezed' through that test, felt pleasantly surprised that I was doing so well... Turns out I -hadn't- been breezing and I, in fact, did not do well. I got a low score. >.>

This is interesting... I'm not sure where to go from here, though. My manager has expressed previously that anyone claiming to have these sorts of difficulties can only stay off the tills as long as they have a medical note/proof.

Thank you for recommending the test!
According to the site, they have a proper centre in London where they do assessments- http://www.educational-psychologist.co.uk/
Original post by Ashfire45
You know, I 'breezed' through that test, felt pleasantly surprised that I was doing so well... Turns out I -hadn't- been breezing and I, in fact, did not do well. I got a low score. >.>

This is interesting... I'm not sure where to go from here, though. My manager has expressed previously that anyone claiming to have these sorts of difficulties can only stay off the tills as long as they have a medical note/proof.

Thank you for recommending the test!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending