A level combos - i'm dying! Watch

username4401864
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, hope you're having a good day!

I'm about to do my GCSEs in 3 weeks (wish me luck lol I'm so screwed for them 😭) , and obviously after GCSES typically come A levels..

I've already handed in my options, and they're currently English Lit, Psychology and German. Our final decision is made on results day though, and so I'm thinking, is English, Psychology and Sociology a combination that Russel Group Universities would accept? I'm aiming for Cambridge (even though it's quite unlikely haha but who's to stop me from trying?) I would like to do 2 facilitating subjects, but I'm quite shaky on them :/ i.e history, while I can get content down, essay structure is very, VERY stressful for me. I'm very much struggling with maths too, so that's out of the question. Likewise chemistry and physics and I do German at the moment, and I enjoy it but I'm not quite sure I want to do a full A level in it. Biology is also something to ponder over because I'm not a sciencey person but I am decent at the sciences, but not enough to spend all of my time studying it.

Anyway, point of the question! Would English Lit, Psychology and Sociology be an accepted combination amongst Russel Group unis? Thank you if you take the time to read and answer 😊
STEM.lover
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Many subject combinations are accepted at top universities and some courses have specific entry requirements. I’m very scientific hence I’ve only looked at science UCAS courses and these are very specific with the requirements being maths and two sciences normally. And I can’t comment on English lit, psychology and sociology but i know a few people who have done that combination. However, I seem to think the humanities and arts subjects are not as specific in requirements. I’d recommend at least one essay subject and if you want to go to Cambridge just do wider reading around the course.

The best advice I can give you is to focus on your GCSE’s now. You have the entire summer to choose your A levels and you can still change your mind in the first few weeks of starting.

When you have finished all your GCSE’s I would suggest looking at university courses on UCAS, and make sure you don’t discriminate towards a university such as I really want to go to Cambridge, this course looks alrightish I’ll do that. You need to do something you love at uni as it is a lot of money and a lot of time.

When you find a course or a list of courses that really interest you they should influence your A level choices. Don’t pick subjects because they’re facilitating, I would say that is it generally a good idea but if the facilitating subjects don’t interest you and will stress you out there is no point doing them. You need to do something you enjoy as you will be spending a lot of time on it and if you don’t enjoy it you will struggle to dedicate time to it.

I hope this helps, I’m sorry that’s it’s so long. Good luck with your GCSE’s
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username4401864
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!! This was very helpful
(Original post by STEM.lover)
Many subject combinations are accepted at top universities and some courses have specific entry requirements. I’m very scientific hence I’ve only looked at science UCAS courses and these are very specific with the requirements being maths and two sciences normally. And I can’t comment on English lit, psychology and sociology but i know a few people who have done that combination. However, I seem to think the humanities and arts subjects are not as specific in requirements. I’d recommend at least one essay subject and if you want to go to Cambridge just do wider reading around the course.

The best advice I can give you is to focus on your GCSE’s now. You have the entire summer to choose your A levels and you can still change your mind in the first few weeks of starting.

When you have finished all your GCSE’s I would suggest looking at university courses on UCAS, and make sure you don’t discriminate towards a university such as I really want to go to Cambridge, this course looks alrightish I’ll do that. You need to do something you love at uni as it is a lot of money and a lot of time.

When you find a course or a list of courses that really interest you they should influence your A level choices. Don’t pick subjects because they’re facilitating, I would say that is it generally a good idea but if the facilitating subjects don’t interest you and will stress you out there is no point doing them. You need to do something you enjoy as you will be spending a lot of time on it and if you don’t enjoy it you will struggle to dedicate time to it.

I hope this helps, I’m sorry that’s it’s so long. Good luck with your GCSE’s
barror1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What would you be applying for at Cambridge? I might be able to give you some pointers
username4401864
Rep:
?
Thank you! I'm likely applying for English but I'm thinking about Psychology too
(Original post by barror1)
What would you be applying for at Cambridge? I might be able to give you some pointers
barror1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nerdynerdy)
Thank you! I'm likely applying for English but I'm thinking about Psychology too
Ok! I was actually interviewed at Cambridge for English in December so I hope this helps!
I an doing English lit (obviously lol), Sociology, and an AS in psychology. I already have an A in English language for various reasons, but that's besides the point. I would probably take history instead to make up the accommodating subjects, but honestly it is not the end of the world as long as the rest of your application is strong.

As for psychology, you will have to tread much more carefully. It is treated as a science at Cambridge, and so would probably need biology or another science to complement it.

Have you looked into HSPS? That is probably another option for you
username4401864
Rep:
?
Wow, that's amazing, congrats! How did you find it? I've heard they're very academic interviews rather than 'where do you live, what's your favourite colour' type of thing haha. Thanks for the advice! I think I'll probably end up applying for English and so will likely end up with sociology/history as my third option. I've also looked into HSPS, not too sure where I stand on the course Thank you for the advice, it was really helpful!
(Original post by barror1)
Ok! I was actually interviewed at Cambridge for English in December so I hope this helps!
I an doing English lit (obviously lol), Sociology, and an AS in psychology. I already have an A in English language for various reasons, but that's besides the point. I would probably take history instead to make up the accommodating subjects, but honestly it is not the end of the world as long as the rest of your application is strong.

As for psychology, you will have to tread much more carefully. It is treated as a science at Cambridge, and so would probably need biology or another science to complement it.

Have you looked into HSPS? That is probably another option for you
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi all, hope you're having a good day!

I'm about to do my GCSEs in 3 weeks (wish me luck lol I'm so screwed for them 😭) , and obviously after GCSES typically come A levels..

I've already handed in my options, and they're currently English Lit, Psychology and German. Our final decision is made on results day though, and so I'm thinking, is English, Psychology and Sociology a combination that Russel Group Universities would accept? I'm aiming for Cambridge (even though it's quite unlikely haha but who's to stop me from trying?) I would like to do 2 facilitating subjects, but I'm quite shaky on them :/ i.e history, while I can get content down, essay structure is very, VERY stressful for me. I'm very much struggling with maths too, so that's out of the question. Likewise chemistry and physics and I do German at the moment, and I enjoy it but I'm not quite sure I want to do a full A level in it. Biology is also something to ponder over because I'm not a sciencey person but I am decent at the sciences, but not enough to spend all of my time studying it.

Anyway, point of the question! Would English Lit, Psychology and Sociology be an accepted combination amongst Russel Group unis? Thank you if you take the time to read and answer 😊
That combination would be fine for English at RG Unis, and for most RG Psychology courses.

However, some RG unis like 2 Sciences for Psychology (typically Psychology and Biology or Maths) and some of the Cambridge colleges require 2 Science A levels for their degree in Psychological & Behavioural Sciences.
username4401864
Rep:
?
Thank you! Do you know where I can see which colleges require what subjects at A level should I choose to apply for Psychology?
(Original post by harrysbar)
That combination would be fine for English at RG Unis, and for most RG Psychology courses.

However, some RG unis like 2 Sciences for Psychology (typically Psychology and Biology or Maths) and some of the Cambridge colleges require 2 Science A levels for their degree in Psychological & Behavioural Sciences.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you! Do you know where I can see which colleges require what subjects at A level should I choose to apply for Psychology?
Just google Psychology at Cambridge and it will direct you to Psychological &
Behavioural Sciences. Click on Entry Requirements and then Course Requirements. I have copied and pasted the next bit directly from the website:

"Course requirements
No specific subjects required by all Colleges
Some Colleges require A Level/IB Higher Level in one or two science/mathematics* subjects

See PDF icon PBS: Subject Requirements and Typical Offer by College for College-specific requirements/preferences. All undergraduate admissions decisions are the responsibility of the Cambridge Colleges, so please check College websites for further details".
username4401864
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!!
(Original post by harrysbar)
Just google Psychology at Cambridge and it will direct you to Psychological &
Behavioural Sciences. Click on Entry Requirements and then Course Requirements. I have copied and pasted the next bit directly from the website:

"Course requirements
No specific subjects required by all Colleges
Some Colleges require A Level/IB Higher Level in one or two science/mathematics* subjects

See PDF icon PBS: Subject Requirements and Typical Offer by College for College-specific requirements/preferences. All undergraduate admissions decisions are the responsibility of the Cambridge Colleges, so please check College websites for further details".
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much!!
You're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (301)
15.13%
The paper was reasonable (1101)
55.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (432)
21.71%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
7.84%

Watched Threads