The Student Room Group

Disgusting attack on Sri Lankans and Christians during Easter Sunday :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maachu_pichuu
Eighth blast hits Colombo, reports say, locating it in the district of Dematagoda.

Absolutely shocking and devastating especially on such a holy day...

Sri Lanka's government has declared an islandwide curfew from 18:00 local time to 06:00 (12:30 GMT-00:30).

At least 138 confirmed to be dead now :frown:
Sri Lanka's government has declared an islandwide curfew from 18:00 local time to 06:00 (12:30 GMT-00:30).

Personally they should declare martial law and put the military on the street, the place is under attack and the authorities have no control.
Reuters is reporting that the Sri Lankan government has shut down access to major social media messaging services, though the BBC has received sporadic social media messages from people in Sri Lanka. It is unclear how far messaging services are affected.
(edited 5 years ago)
How are your family?
I truly do sympathise with you and I hope they are all doing fine.
Original post by RazzzBerries
I’m British Sri Lankan (also Christian) and we’ve just been phoning family and friends back home to find out if everyone’s OK.

If there’s only one thing to say to this: please be kind. There’s no reason to hurt others. We’re all human.
Utterly horrific.

I fear the death toll is going to go up.
This is absolutely disgusting.
These acts have no excuse whatsoever.
I sympathize with all families and people affected by this horrific situation.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 26
It’s just awful. My family is Sri Lanka originally and I’m Christian as well so it is horrific to see this. So many people just brutally slaughtered, ripped apart into shreds by shrapnel, it will remind a lot of Sri Lankans of the old days of the war. May God bless them and give them eternal life.
That’s such a relief. Which areas are they in?

Colombo and Jaffna. Everyone is being told to stay inside their homes apparently, and there’s still a risk of further bombers.
Reports that death toll has risen as far as 210. Praying for all the families affected
Someone should ban explosives.
:colonhash:
ISIS *******s need shooting
Original post by Obolinda
:colonhash:
Original post by Tawheed
A terrible loss of life in Sri Lanka by callous terrorist attacks. Our thoughts and prayers are with our Christian brothers and sisters in humanity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48001720

here^^
ok, although I didn't realise this was by ISIS.:confused:
@The_Lonely_Goatherd hope your family are ok :frown: :hugs:
here^^

Okay thanks I stand corrected
ok, although I didn't realise this was by ISIS.:confused:

It is unlikely to be any other perpetrator. If it however transpires that the attacks are down to buddhists or some other group I will retract my statement
have to admire the lack of a PC filter :smile:
Lol :laugh: I don't care
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
have to admire the lack of a PC filter :smile:
Being a Sri Lankan myself this is an utter shock for me as Sri Lanka is accepting of other religions and I did not know there would be hate and people who target religious communities.I am deeply sorry for those who have lost relatives and have been affected and hope the death toll does not rise.
I hope the Sri Lankan government get to the bottom of this attack and find the true perpetrators.

I just want to say lets not put the blame on Buddhist extremists or any other extreme groups without facts.
Original post by DetectivePeralta
I’m a Christian and originally from Sri Lanka so this really hits hard. Sri Lanka has been at peace for nearly 10 years now and even during the war Christians were never a specific target. We’ve always gotten along well there with other religions but I’ve heard that there’s been a rise in Buddhist nationalism a few years ago- but even that was mainly just protests about Muslims. And there has never been a Muslim terror attack here so this just seems so crazy. I don’t think any of my relatives are dead though, but tbh I see them all sort of as my relatives.

I’m British Sri Lankan (also Christian) and we’ve just been phoning family and friends back home to find out if everyone’s OK.

If there’s only one thing to say to this: please be kind. There’s no reason to hurt others. We’re all human.

Lots of hugs to both of you (am British Sinhalese Catholic) :frown:

:grouphugs:

Thank you @CoolCavy for the tag. My family are all safe as far as we know, but my mum's brother goes to one of the churches targeted every Tuesday, so it still feels raw and close to home :cry2: My sister and I stayed in Cinnamon Grand Hotel for a week in 2009 as well :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending