The Student Room Group

GCSE advice

Anyone got any inspiring gcse stories
My history teacher said at the start of GCSE’s at parents evening that I remind her of someone who gets a 6. I got a 9. She also said to my friend that they would be lucky to get a 4. They got an 8.
Reply 2
Well done ! :biggrin:
Original post by Js048326
My history teacher said at the start of GCSE’s at parents evening that I remind her of someone who gets a 6. I got a 9. She also said to my friend that they would be lucky to get a 4. They got an 8.
I was predicted a D in Physics (old system) and a 5 in Maths and got an A* and an 8 respectively. These were definitely my most hated subjects and I found it soo hard to revise for them because I found them so frustrating. I didn't even feel happy with them after the actual exams and my results were a complete surprise so don't ever doubt yourself !!
i was predicted a 5 in english because i ****ed about every lesson (which was completely true), i played geometry dash as a joke on my laptop every lesson and did no work whatsoever for about 2 years, still got a 9 because i worked hard at home
I got predicted 3A 2B 4C and they tried to make me take foundation sciences and maths. I got 5A* 4A and 1B and AAB in my science and A* in maths. Any things possible if you just try :smile:
Reply 6
That’s so good well done !! :colone: How’d you revise for maths !!
Original post by straight_U's
I was predicted a D in Physics (old system) and a 5 in Maths and got an A* and an 8 respectively. These were definitely my most hated subjects and I found it soo hard to revise for them because I found them so frustrating. I didn't even feel happy with them after the actual exams and my results were a complete surprise so don't ever doubt yourself !!
I did a lot of past paper questions and when I found a topic that I consistently got wrong (which was most of them lol), I'd find questions specifically on that area and do loadss of them. I'd also try and break the questions down into steps so I could see which bits i was okay with, and which bits were harder. And it seems obvious, but I asked for help from teachers and friends a lot too.
The hardest part is to keep working at it because it was so annoying when I was getting it all wrong and felt like I couldn't do it. You'll defo see an improvement tho if you just keep going with the practise papers and topic questions!!
I got a D in my English lit mock exam about a month before the exam, somehow came away with an A*
Reply 9
Original post by straight_U's
Reply 10
That’s so amazing English Lit is defo a struggle for me on my recent mock I got a 4 and am aiming for 7/8 how’d you revise and how long ago were your gcses !! X
Original post by STEM.lover
I got a D in my English lit mock exam about a month before the exam, somehow came away with an A*
Reply 11
Well done Thankyou 🌟
Original post by ArchieHunt
I got predicted 3A 2B 4C and they tried to make me take foundation sciences and maths. I got 5A* 4A and 1B and AAB in my science and A* in maths. Any things possible if you just try :smile:
Reply 12
Omg same story here hopefully I turn it around like you did !! X
Original post by Gent2324
i was predicted a 5 in english because i ****ed about every lesson (which was completely true), i played geometry dash as a joke on my laptop every lesson and did no work whatsoever for about 2 years, still got a 9 because i worked hard at home
Original post by shani02
That’s so amazing English Lit is defo a struggle for me on my recent mock I got a 4 and am aiming for 7/8 how’d you revise and how long ago were your gcses !! X

Thank you, I did mine last year but my school did English lit in year 10 so I did it two years ago I watched some great YouTube videos, can’t remember the channel sorry. Loads of practice questions and pretty much memorised the revision guide.
Original post by Js048326

How did you revise?
Original post by Littlegeekgirl_
How did you revise?

I did loads of mind maps and went through them all on a whiteboard. I also used quizlet to remember loads of dates and used them in my essays. They make you seem like you know your stuff.
Reply 16
Okay thankyou x
Original post by STEM.lover
Thank you, I did mine last year but my school did English lit in year 10 so I did it two years ago I watched some great YouTube videos, can’t remember the channel sorry. Loads of practice questions and pretty much memorised the revision guide.

Quick Reply

Latest