The Student Room Group

Disgusting attack on Sri Lankans and Christians during Easter Sunday :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTharma
It’s just awful. My family is Sri Lanka originally and I’m Christian as well so it is horrific to see this. So many people just brutally slaughtered, ripped apart into shreds by shrapnel, it will remind a lot of Sri Lankans of the old days of the war. May God bless them and give them eternal life.

Sorry, only quoted people on the first page - thoughts and prayers with you too
Reply 41
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sorry, only quoted people on the first page - thoughts and prayers with you too

And the same to you. This is just so shocking, of all places it happened in Sri Lanka.
Original post by DetectivePeralta
I’m a Christian and originally from Sri Lanka so this really hits hard. Sri Lanka has been at peace for nearly 10 years now and even during the war Christians were never a specific target. We’ve always gotten along well there with other religions but I’ve heard that there’s been a rise in Buddhist nationalism a few years ago- but even that was mainly just protests about Muslims. And there has never been a Muslim terror attack here so this just seems so crazy. I don’t think any of my relatives are dead though, but tbh I see them all sort of as my relatives.

very sad especially in a country that has a recent history of bloody civil war between the government and tamil tiger groups.
it seems nowadays though that some islamist ( no doubt externally funded) groups are the primie suspects for terrorism in srilanka, given the significance of the targets. the NTJ were known to have atatcked buddhists sites before today and there was some intelligence they were planning to target catholic churches and also in fact the indian embassy in colombo
"Two Suicide Bombers Behind Sri Lanka Blasts Identified As Zahran Hashim, Abu Mohammed".

I'm surprised paddypower aren't doing odds on guessing the religion after every terrorist attack, I guess the margin wouldn't be particularly high though.
@Obolinda @Ladbants @Lala143 @The_Lonely_Goatherd + everyone that repped my first post, thank you for the support, hugs to you all too! :hugs:
Also, to the Sri Lankan TSR community, prayers for everyone and get family back home to stay safe! x

In terms of the affect of this on me personally, my immediate family appear to be safe and sound. They live in Colombo, mainly, so they don't live too far from the hotels that were bombed (Shangri-La and Cinnamon Grand) and they heard the explosions. They were told to stay inside so they aren't badly affected. However, the last bombing reported (in Dehiwala) is a little worrying since we have family friends who live in the area. We're in the process of trying to contact everyone we know, but given the circumstances (the curfew etc.) I'm 99% sure they're OK too. I'll update on that when I can.

Social media (just WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook) have been blocked which makes this slightly harder than normal.

Again, thanks to you all for your thoughts. At the end of the day, love will reign over this hate. We will overcome.

Razzz x

(@Ladbants, I'm glad! @The_Lonely_Goatherd, literally had no idea you were Sri Lankan until now! Sad it was revealed to me under bad circumstances though. :facepalm: )
Original post by RazzzBerries
@The_Lonely_Goatherd, literally had no idea you were Sri Lankan until now! Sad it was revealed to me under bad circumstances though. :facepalm: )

Literally :ditto:

:jumphug:
Quite frankly, it doesnt matter what religion you follow (or claim to follow), this is a terrible thing that has happened, and people really need to help each other more than anything else.
Original post by ARealNowhereMan
Quite frankly, it doesnt matter what religion you follow (or claim to follow), this is a terrible thing that has happened, and people really need to help each other more than anything else.

thye also need to take out the islamist cell thats doing these attacks to prevent further ones
I’d like to point out that the terrorist that claim to be Muslims are not. I happen to be Muslim, and I dont like it when they’re called things such as Islamic state, islamists, Muslim extremists, etc.
Original post by Reformed
thye also need to take out the islamist cell thats doing these attacks to prevent further ones
I’d like to point out that the terrorist that claim to be Muslims are not. I happen to be Muslim, and I dont like it when they’re called things such as Islamic state, islamists, Muslim extremists, etc.

not sure thats relevant to anything. you may not like them calling themeselves that , but i assume islamist terrorists in general take little notice of you

Agreed. I'm a Sri Lankan Christian too.

Terrorism has no religion.
I mean that's the truth. Someone who murders people in the name of an ideology or religion is an Extremist because they take the it to the extreme.
But in doing so they remove themselves from said religion or ideology. They just use a line or two from our holy book to justify all this **** and I hate it and it should be recognised that in doing what they do “in the name of [insert religion], they eject themselves from said religion.
Original post by SimpleMathsPhys
I mean that's the truth. Someone who murders people in the name of an ideology or religion is an Extremist because they take the it to the extreme.

I get very emotional about this. Sorry for wasting people’s time while reading this.
So, this is another consequence of Islamic fundamentalism again or something? Should have been indoctrinated with western values, then.
I mean, a lot of Christians and related entities are being attacked all over the globe by these people, and it's getting even more out of hand than it was long before.
first of all i condemn this action whoever did it so dont think i support
But in doing so they remove themselves from said religion or ideology. They just use a line or two from our holy book to justify all this **** and I hate it and it should be recognised that in doing what they do “in the name of [insert religion], they eject themselves from said religion.

I get very emotional about this. Sorry for wasting people’s time while reading this.

second of all
stop lying they ARE muslim, what proof do you have to back your statement, killing people generally isnt major kufr dont lie about the religion
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4qPOSZX4Ao3OX7.jpg:large

Powerful image of a blood splattered Christ, on what should be a day of rejoicing for Christians on Easter Sunday but instead has turned into a day of mourning and pain for Sri Lankans. :frown:
Jihad is not allowed unless sanctioned by a prophet, of which none are still alive
Original post by verycoolperson
first of all i condemn this action whoever did it so dont think i support

second of all
stop lying they ARE muslim, what proof do you have to back your statement, killing people generally isnt major kufr dont lie about the religion
Jihad is not allowed unless sanctioned by a prophet, of which none are still

where did u get that from lol
There is a verse in the Quran, i forgot the actual translation but remember what it means. Was taught it by a teacher who was very dear to me at the masjid
Original post by verycoolperson
where did u get that from lol
There is a verse in the Quran, i forgot the actual translation but remember what it means. Was taught it by a teacher who was very dear to me at the masjid

which verse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending