The Student Room Group

Science and Maths Questions

Hi

I am a year 12 student studying all 3 sciences then maths at A-Level and got 9s in these subjects as GCSE. If you have any questions about how to do well in these subjects at GCSE, be it how to revise or specific questions regarding content or specific exam questions, I am happy to help. I thought it would be nice to give back to the forum where I gained so much last year.
Basically I am predicted 9s and I believe I can get them. Also in the past papers I've been scraping in (for bio and chem anyways). Yet I want to improve so I have a better chance in the real thing. I'm not sure about how to improve because it's the specific wordings which I keep forgetting or not knowing. I keep getting losing a single mark.

Also physics, sometimes I'm good, other times I'm horrible. What do I do to revise? I know the content but it doesn't translate when I try practise papers.
Original post by Goldenshark
Hi

I am a year 12 student studying all 3 sciences then maths at A-Level and got 9s in these subjects as GCSE. If you have any questions about how to do well in these subjects at GCSE, be it how to revise or specific questions regarding content or specific exam questions, I am happy to help. I thought it would be nice to give back to the forum where I gained so much last year.

How Do I get a 9 in Bio , Currently achieving a Strong 7
For real, I'm inconsistent as **** in Physics, Chemistry is the easiest I would say
Original post by ThunderBeard
Basically I am predicted 9s and I believe I can get them. Also in the past papers I've been scraping in (for bio and chem anyways). Yet I want to improve so I have a better chance in the real thing. I'm not sure about how to improve because it's the specific wordings which I keep forgetting or not knowing. I keep getting losing a single mark.

Also physics, sometimes I'm good, other times I'm horrible. What do I do to revise? I know the content but it doesn't translate when I try practise papers.
- Make sure you know the content inside out before you start exam papers.
- Print off the specification from the exam board website. Make sure you know everything on the list.
- Don’t just go by revision guides, as they can miss some detail out. To get the full detail- use the text book.
- Know the required practicals inside out.
- remember as science grade boundaries are usually quite low, don’t be deflated if you feel you haven’t got 100%

For physics:
- Learn all the equations. Search ‘gcse physics equations song” on youtube. It’s horrible but I promise it will get stuck in your head
- Make sure you’re okay with re arranging equations and using pythagoras/basic trig. These often come up in Physics.

Good luck

Original post by ThunderBeard

You legend. Thank you.
Original post by Goldenshark
- Make sure you know the content inside out before you start exam papers.
- Print off the specification from the exam board website. Make sure you know everything on the list.
- Don’t just go by revision guides, as they can miss some detail out. To get the full detail- use the text book.
- Know the required practicals inside out.
- remember as science grade boundaries are usually quite low, don’t be deflated if you feel you haven’t got 100%

For physics:
- Learn all the equations. Search ‘gcse physics equations song” on youtube. It’s horrible but I promise it will get stuck in your head
- Make sure you’re okay with re arranging equations and using pythagoras/basic trig. These often come up in Physics.

Good luck
For biology, make sure you know all the tricky, detailed bits of content. The kind of thing that the revision guide is likely to skim over or miss out entirely. Use the specification and an endorsed text book to get this info. Many exam questions have tiered marking, and so you will only get the final one or two marks for mentioning a really nuanced piece of information. Make sure you can pull these out of the bag for 4 and 6 mark questions.

Also, learn some staple answers for biology exams.Things such as ‘increases the surface area’ or ‘denatures the enzymes’ often show up in biology exams.

Lastly, make sure you can do magnification calculations and are good with data (GCSE maths- bar and pie charts, averages etc)

Good luck.
Original post by SchmuckOff
How Do I get a 9 in Bio , Currently achieving a Strong 7

Quick Reply

Latest