The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
'Hope they're happy', or something?

Wouldn't think much else.
Pretty weird.
Nothing.
When I was 17, I was dating a guy in his late 30s.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
What do you think?

I think it's perfectly acceptable when I see it on paper [like here]

but i've found that when i've seen relationships like that IRL I tend to automatically think the guy is manipulating her or something sinister

not sure why i feel this way tbh
I notice the hotter the girl the more likely I am to think there's some foul play going on here
Nothing. A 23yo is old enough to know what they want.
To be honest, I think it's a lot harder to tell someone's age just by looking at them (certainly when you get past your mid / late 20's anyway).

Once you get past around the age of 25, your lifestyle choices will determine far more what you look like than your actual biological age. For example, those who live a healthy lifestyle (i.e.. exercise regularly, eat decent / clean food etc.) are known to age a lot slower/better than those who don't exercise, drink heavily / regularly etc.).... also genetics and ethnicity may play a significant part to the ageing process. People like Liz Hurley, Hallie Berry etc. can easily pass for some 15-20 years younger than their chronological age.

Besides, IMHO, there comes a point when you just have to accept that someone is in no way a child but a fully grown adult and can do what they want, when they want... with whom they want. Personally, I would put that age at 25 years old (IMHO 23 is close enough to that age).

Besides Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher were similar ages when they started dating... no on seemed to mind lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
I was bonking a woman who was early 40s when I was mid 20s, it was great.
Original post by ANM775

but i've found that when i've seen relationships like that IRL I tend to automatically think the guy is manipulating her or something sinister

I think this argument would be more valid if the girl was about 16-18 years old, when their personality / character is more malleable . Most people in their mid 20's have their personalises etc. more or less set in stone.

I notice the hotter the girl the more likely I am to think there's some foul play going on here

Hmmm. .. Jealousy immediately springs to mind.:wink:

Think about it... she's hot,so I'm sure she could easily find a guy her own age if she really wanted to.
gold digger
Original post by ANM775

Thank you so much. I'm 19 years older than my wife. And yes, she's quite "hot".
Original post by Anonymous
What do you think?

I was 23 when I started seeing my partner who was 42 at the time. It's perfectly normal.
Original post by bones-mccoy
I was 23 when I started seeing my partner who was 42 at the time. It's perfectly normal.

Just because you did it doesn't make it "normal".
weird but I don't care tbh.
Original post by londonmyst
Nothing.
When I was 17, I was dating a guy in his late 30s.

That doesn't make it normal. It makes 17yo you not normal.
Original post by Palmyra

Original post by Notoriety
That doesn't make it normal. It makes 17yo you not normal.

Phrased it identically, my Cantab friend.
Original post by Palmyra

It's perfectly normal for two consenting adults to be in a relationship.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra

Well that's the second 19-year age gap in this thread, both started at identical ages. So neither is it extremely rare.
It's perfectly normal for two consenting adults to be in a relationship.

The age gap is too much, once the age gap is over 15 years, the relationship is going on because the other partner can provide something that they can't get anywhere else. i.e. either security or sexual desires.

I wouldn't class that as normal, just based on the age gap of nearly 20 years. He could be your father frankly.