The Student Room Group

Mature student with young kids

Hiya! I am hoping to start studying adult nursing in 2020. I have two small kids aged 4 and 2. In 2020 they will both be in school. Which is why I am waiting. Has anyone been in a similar position and can offer any tips. My husband works full time Monday- Friday 9-5 so I’m hoping this will be helpful when it comes to getting started. Can’t wait to hear some of your stories! 😁

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maturehopeful30
Hiya! I am hoping to start studying adult nursing in 2020. I have two small kids aged 4 and 2. In 2020 they will both be in school. Which is why I am waiting. Has anyone been in a similar position and can offer any tips. My husband works full time Monday- Friday 9-5 so I’m hoping this will be helpful when it comes to getting started. Can’t wait to hear some of your stories! 😁

Hi! I’m afraid I can’t give any advice but sounds like we’re in similar situations. I have one child who is 2 and I am planning on starting a child health nursing degree in Sept 2020 when she starts school. My soon to be husband also works full time and is very supportive about my wish to train to be a children’s nurse. Are you doing an access course? I am planning on starting an online access course in May next year as much easier around childcare and work as I want to work for as long as I can before starting the course. 😊
Hi! I’ve seen some pretty positive similar experiences on a few different forums so keeping my fingers crossed it won’t be too hectic! Lol! I qualified as a dental nurse a few years ago, so I may not have to do an access course. I’ve booked to go to the uni open day at the end of September so hoping to find out for definite then as I can’t seem to get a straight answer from google. You seem well prepared. I feel like 2020 is way off but the years are flying by so won’t be long coming round. Where abouts are you?
Original post by Maturehopeful30
Hi! I’ve seen some pretty positive similar experiences on a few different forums so keeping my fingers crossed it won’t be too hectic! Lol! I qualified as a dental nurse a few years ago, so I may not have to do an access course. I’ve booked to go to the uni open day at the end of September so hoping to find out for definite then as I can’t seem to get a straight answer from google. You seem well prepared. I feel like 2020 is way off but the years are flying by so won’t be long coming round. Where abouts are you?

Hi! I’m in Suffolk so I’ll be applying to University of Suffolk, it’s not one that ever seems to be mentioned when it comes to nursing but I did a foundation degree there 5 years ago and found them to be really good. Also with a young family, jobs & a mortgage I wouldn’t be able to just up and attend any university. Oh that sounds great, I need to attend an open day too to find out whether the access course I’ve chosen is accepted by my uni. I’m not 100% whether I would need the access course as I have a degree in children’s development and my background is with children but I have no medical experience, something else I need to ask then at the open day. I think I would prefer to do it to improve my chances and get my brain working again! Where are you hoping to attend? 2020 will come quick, it’s almost 2019 when we could apply then it’ll be 2020 before you know it! 😊
Reply 4
Original post by Hopeful2020
Hi! I’m afraid I can’t give any advice but sounds like we’re in similar situations. I have one child who is 2 and I am planning on starting a child health nursing degree in Sept 2020 when she starts school. My soon to be husband also works full time and is very supportive about my wish to train to be a children’s nurse. Are you doing an access course? I am planning on starting an online access course in May next year as much easier around childcare and work as I want to work for as long as I can before starting the course. 😊

Hi

Just wondering did you the access course online? As I’ve noticed you said you were thinking of doing it before nursing degree.

I’m thinking about doing access to he course online too.
Original post by Janey44
Hi

Just wondering did you the access course online? As I’ve noticed you said you were thinking of doing it before nursing degree.

I’m thinking about doing access to he course online too.

Hi 😊 I have found 3 companies that accept the 19+ learner loan (learn direct don’t accept them anymore). I’ve got an open day booked at my local uni so I’m going to discuss with them which ones they accept. X
Reply 6
Hi :smile:

In a similar situation. I have 4 little ones aged 1 6,7 and 8 and will start my adult nursing degree in January 2020. I am currently doing my access course through distancelearningcentre.

My soon to be husband (roll on December) works full time as a web developer so can thankfully work from home half of the day. So the plan is our youngest goes to nursery and he will pick the older three up from school work for a bit at home and then pick up our youngest. I will pick up as and when my schedule allows. Slightly nervous but cant wait to start!

Wishing you all luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Hi KellB

Nice to hear someone else with a young family are thinking of doing nursing and is going for it.

I’m considering distance learning or college. Prefer distance learning as you can work from home etc but concerned it may be too hard!!

How are you finding it working from home? Do you get a lot of support?

Thanks

Jane
Reply 8
Hi Jane,

I considered doing the access course in college as I am almost 29 its been a long time since I have done any academic learning. My youngest was only a few months old when I started the course and I really didn't want to put her into nursery so young. I did a little research and must have annoyed them with my million questions lol. I decided to take the plunge and I'm really glad I did.

They have been amazing. I am doing the access to HE allied health professions. They have two options both have an introductory ungraded module, I chose the one that allows you to brush up on your maths and English at level 2. I had the same tutor for that module and my psychology modules which was great! She was lovely always replied to emails quickly, explained things in detail and was always available on the phone during working hours.

I was so pleased with my experience I enrolled on their functional skills maths course and again my tutor has been amazing! My exam is coming up in May. They don't rush you and allow you to move along at a pace that is good for you. They also go over things as many times as you need which was great for me especially with the maths lol.

The staff that work in the office have been amazing as well, which is always reassuring. They also reply to emails outside of core working hours.

Work wise I would say its 'intense' as its literally coursework after coursework but I'm using this as prep, arranging study time around family time can be a struggle but you work it as best suits your family. Once uni starts in January it will be a lot busier so enjoying the slow pace while I can.

Best of luck in your decision and the course when you start.
Kell :smile:
Original post by Janey44
Hi KellB

Nice to hear someone else with a young family are thinking of doing nursing and is going for it.

I’m considering distance learning or college. Prefer distance learning as you can work from home etc but concerned it may be too hard!!

How are you finding it working from home? Do you get a lot of support?

Thanks

Jane
Reply 9
Hi Kell

Thanks so much for the info it has really give me confidence that I will most likely go ahead with access course with distance learning. It seems you have been happy with the course and support I guess after that it’s down to us to put the hard work in!!

I will enroll soon provably in May and hope to go to uni to also study nursing!!

Good luck with everything

Jane
Original post by KellB
Hi Jane,

I considered doing the access course in college as I am almost 29 its been a long time since I have done any academic learning. My youngest was only a few months old when I started the course and I really didn't want to put her into nursery so young. I did a little research and must have annoyed them with my million questions lol. I decided to take the plunge and I'm really glad I did.

They have been amazing. I am doing the access to HE allied health professions. They have two options both have an introductory ungraded module, I chose the one that allows you to brush up on your maths and English at level 2. I had the same tutor for that module and my psychology modules which was great! She was lovely always replied to emails quickly, explained things in detail and was always available on the phone during working hours.

I was so pleased with my experience I enrolled on their functional skills maths course and again my tutor has been amazing! My exam is coming up in May. They don't rush you and allow you to move along at a pace that is good for you. They also go over things as many times as you need which was great for me especially with the maths lol.

The staff that work in the office have been amazing as well, which is always reassuring. They also reply to emails outside of core working hours.

Work wise I would say its 'intense' as its literally coursework after coursework but I'm using this as prep, arranging study time around family time can be a struggle but you work it as best suits your family. Once uni starts in January it will be a lot busier so enjoying the slow pace while I can.

Best of luck in your decision and the course when you start.
Kell :smile:
Hi both 😊 Can I ask who you’re doing/planning on doing your access course with? I’m a mum too and am planning on starting my access course for nursing the next couple of months. X
Reply 11
Best of luck! Hope all goes well x
Original post by Janey44
Hi Kell

Thanks so much for the info it has really give me confidence that I will most likely go ahead with access course with distance learning. It seems you have been happy with the course and support I guess after that it’s down to us to put the hard work in!!

I will enroll soon provably in May and hope to go to uni to also study nursing!!

Good luck with everything

Jane
Reply 12
Hi Hopeful2020!

I’m doing mine with the distance learning centre and have been offered a place at DMU starting in Jan2020 as I won’t finish my access course until the end of October.

Xx
Hi both 😊 Can I ask who you’re doing/planning on doing your access course with? I’m a mum too and am planning on starting my access course for nursing the next couple of months. X
Original post by KellB
Hi Hopeful2020!

I’m doing mine with the distance learning centre and have been offered a place at DMU starting in Jan2020 as I won’t finish my access course until the end of October.

Xx

Thank you 😊 My local uni’s in take is September only for children’s nursing (which is what I want to do) so hoping to start September 2020. Good luck x
We
Original post by KellB
Hi Hopeful2020!

Xx

Hi KellB

I’m a bit confused as looked on distance learning centre and there two websites for the access course one with - in between the words and one without!!

What is the website where you took your access course. Just want to make sure I enroll in the right one!!

🙏 thanks

Jane
Reply 15
Thank you. That's good gives you some time to get everything sorted. Best of luck x
Thank you 😊 My local uni’s in take is September only for children’s nursing (which is what I want to do) so hoping to start September 2020. Good luck x

Original post by Janey44
We

Hi KellB

I’m a bit confused as looked on distance learning centre and there two websites for the access course one with - in between the words and one without!!

What is the website where you took your access course. Just want to make sure I enroll in the right one!!

🙏 thanks

Jane

Hi Jane,

Yeah sure this is the part that shows you all the courses they offer. I am doing the Nursing (Allied Health Professions) as this has more biology which is what my uni required. They do have another which is Nursing (Nursing and Midwifery)

https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/courses.php

Let me know how you get on.

Rickelle x
That’s great thanks will let you know how I get on xx😊
Original post by KellB

In a similar situation. I have 4 little ones aged 1 6,7 and 8 and will start my adult nursing degree in January 2020. I am currently doing my access course through distancelearningcentre.

My soon to be husband (roll on December) works full time as a web developer so can thankfully work from home half of the day. So the plan is our youngest goes to nursery and he will pick the older three up from school work for a bit at home and then pick up our youngest. I will pick up as and when my schedule allows. Slightly nervous but cant wait to start!

Which uni will you be attending
Reply 18
DMU
Original post by FionaLOck
Which uni will you be attending
Original post by KellB

Hi there, Iam in same situation, I am mother of 3 kids, 13, 10 and my princess in 5.
I am on my Access to high education Nursing, I am strugling on my assignements, any help plzzzzzz, as I applied for adult nursing Walsall campus university of Wolverhampton, sep 2019.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending