National 5 English Exam (what is in it?) Watch

HSet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Abit confused with what we do in the English Exam. There will be a Close Reading Paper and an Essay?

I’m not too sure!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As I understand it, the N5 exam has three components:-
a) Close Reading
b) Critical Essay which can be on any text of literature - and can even be a Scottish Set Text - provided that same text is not also used in part (c)
c) Answering set questions on your chosen Scottish Set Text
HSet
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamesg2)
As I understand it, the N5 exam has three components:-
a) Close Reading
b) Critical Essay which can be on any text of literature - and can even be a Scottish Set Text - provided that same text is not also used in part (c)
c) Answering set questions on your chosen Scottish Set Text
Thank you.
Have you been through the National 5 English Exam?
CharG3
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hey guys any predictions what the poem for McCaig is gonna be in the exam?
HSet
Rep:
?
(Original post by CharG3)
hey guys any predictions what the poem for McCaig is gonna be in the exam?
That’s a good question. I would want the answer to that too.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Hamaads)
Abit confused with what we do in the English Exam. There will be a Close Reading Paper and an Essay?

I’m not too sure!
This is last year's paper- yours will be in the same format, and your answers go in a blank answer booklet. https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/pa...h_all_2018.pdf
jamesg2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Predictions can be a fools game. That said, this is the first year of the "Refreshed List." Maybe the SQA will use one of the two New York poems:
"Hotel room 12th floor"or "Brooklyn cop."
That said, the SQA could also use one of the four other poems.
There is no way to know, but maybe a little more work on the New York might be a good idea.
CharG3
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yea, i was thinking that too and I have another question on how you write the critical essay I'm doing mine on "The sniper".
(Original post by jamesg2)
Predictions can be a fools game. That said, this is the first year of the "Refreshed List." Maybe the SQA will use one of the two New York poems:
"Hotel room 12th floor"or "Brooklyn cop."
That said, the SQA could also use one of the four other poems.
There is no way to know, but maybe a little more work on the New York might be a good idea.
jamesg2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
From my perspective - and I do not suggest it is a universally agreed approach.

First be able to decode the Critical essay question. A N5 question usually has two parts - unlike the Higher which usually has three parts.
Second I recommend use use a formal structure such as PEEL or SQAE. They are both the same approached but just named differently. It has always been my opinion that a formal approach is helpful to the examiner and it better allows him/her to see and follow your argument and tends to create a happy examiner. I feel it is a truism: a happy examiner means more marks.
Third ensure you answer the question and only the question. Do not stray into areas you may be interested in but are not asked for. I have always believed and have always taught my classes that the first paragraph should be longer than six lines - and better if less.
i. What is the text you have chosen and who wrote it.
ii. What is your overall position to the question asked.
iii. What are the two areas you are going to answer the question on
iv. And no more.
Usually that is all a question demands. Everything you feel you need to say should be in the body of your essay.

You then have two main sections to your essay - or three if you decide to include evaluation as a separate section.
The order of the two sections should follow what you said in your introduction. So if - for example - your two reasons why the central character was important to the story X and Y then section 1 should be about X and section 2 should be about Y. The only reason I argue this is because it makes it easier for the examiner to follow your essay and happy examiners mean more marks.

Section 1 is your first argument as to whether you agree with the question or not. E.g. if the question asks for character is important to the story. Then the first argument is all about the first reason you feel the character is important to the story. There should - and ideally must not be - anything in this argument that does not relate to why this character is important to the story.

Section 2 is devoted to your second reason this character is important to the story.

Now we are left with the Evaluation. I prefer to include it with each section. Put simply the SQA are looking to see whether you have been emotionally involved in what you have read. Recently the SQA stated that in an examination situation evaluation can be implied as opposed to formally stated. What they mean by that is that you have not explicitly used the term evaluation - but reading between the lines the examiner can see you actually have evaluated.

I prefer and always counsel that evaluation should be formal and part of your critical essay preparation. There are numerous topics for evaluation such as why you like OR disliked a character; OR enjoying particular descriptions the writer has written OR being moved by a theme you realise is still topical today OR impressed or disappointed with a particular moment in the story.

You envaluation demonstrates you have not only read the text but you have also reflected on it. You have demonstrated your knowledge has not just come from York Notes.

And finally your conclusion which sums - briefly - your argument. Do not introduce a new topic in your conclusion.

That roughly is my approach to the Critical essay. Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed