The Student Room Group

My gf won't stop wearing the hijab for me

Hi guys,
I've been in a relationship with a 19 year old girl for about 8 months, she's Muslim (I'm fine with that) and mixed race and gorgeous with an amazing personality and I really like her a lot.
The only issue is that she wears a hijab in 2019, she argues that I am being 'oppressive' by trying to get her to take it off as I believe she should be free. she insists its 'her choice' but we all know she's clearly been brainwashed and she's too nice to see through that. We had a major argument over this and she said that she's sick of western feminists and men like me trying to liberate her when she wears it as 'her choice' and out of 'love' for her religion. She called me an ignorant white boy and blocked me. Now I'm waiting for her to get over it and call me back, however, idk what to do in the long run? How can I convince her that its a sexist and ancient symbol of patriarchy.

Scroll to see replies

i think you should let her wear what she wants to
At the end of the day, it's her choice whether or not she wants to wear the hijab. You can tell her what you think, but there's no reason to be obsessive in trying to get her to take it off.
I think you need to respect her choices. If she doesn’t want to remove it she shouldn’t have to. As someone who loves her you should understand this
Dump her or let it go.
I’m sorry to tell you that you’re being hypocritical. Her beliefs are her beliefs and if she believes that the hijab is not oppressive then she can wear it. You are not deserving of her if you force her to take it off for you. It’s her choice what she wants to wear and the hijab is a big symbol and she believes she is serving God. Do not make her choose religion over her relationship or vice versa
Reply 6
I think you should shut up and let her wear what she wants to wear
its her choice respect that. Don't argue over something you clearly dont understand that well :/
If she loves her religion so much, why date outside of it?
Reply 8
Original post by verycoolperson
i think you should let her wear what she wants to

she needs to see it's sexist
Original post by Andrew97
If she loves her religion so much, why date outside of it?

good question but doesnt really matter to this
Honey you’re being ignorant if you think it’s sexist. If you hate it so much break up with her. You’re clearly not okay with her religion as you stated so dump her
Original post by TomPic
This is a complete troll account. I 100% guarantee this is coming from some lefty loser/muslim who is trying to bait out people so they can go 'well, actually its....' and make themselves feel better.
Original post by TomPic

She doesn't see it that way. What makes you think that your view is the right one?
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
Honey you’re being ignorant if you think it’s sexist. If you hate it so much break up with her. You’re clearly not okay with her religion as you stated so dump her

i would never break up with her and her religion is not a problem but I know so many Muslim girls who don't wear it
Original post by That'sGreat
This is a complete troll account. I 100% guarantee this is coming from some lefty loser/muslim who is trying to bait out people so they can go 'well, actually its....' and make themselves feel better.

yeh its obvious that its a troll
Original post by TomPic
f*ck off mate she can date whoever she wants

Firstly I am not your mate.
Secondly, please point out where I said she couldn’t.
Reply 16
Original post by That'sGreat

try again, I can tell your one of those annoying people who have never seen an inter faith relationship, gtfo
"She called me an ignorant white boy and blocked me" ffs 😂
Reply 18
Original post by Andrew97
Firstly I am not your mate.
Secondly, please point out where I said she couldn’t.

you criticised her for it
Original post by TomPic
try again, I can tell your one of those annoying people who have never seen an inter faith relationship, gtfo

Ah yes, I hate those 'annoying people' who don't engage in inter faith relationships! How dare they not base their relationships on faith!

Get a grip mate, it's your girlfriends choice to wear a hijab. Stop trying to overcompensate for your inadequate c*ck by dictating to her what she can and can't do, and let her wear what she wants.

Quick Reply

Latest