The Student Room Group

GCSEs !

GCSEs are quickly approaching and I just want to explore revision techniques that you guys have.

I do: Geography, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, English Lang, Drama, Sociology and Spanish.

Any techniques are very much appreciated 💕
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
& Maths lol
For the content heavy subjects, flashcards testing yourself on the content and definitions that you need to memorise are amazing. I usually use a 'good pile, bad pile' system where I test myself on a bunch of flash cards. The ones I answer correctly go into the good pile and the ones I don't get go into my bad pile. I then go on to memorise the cards left in my bad pile. As time goes by, you should find your bad pile decreasing until exam time when you should be amazing at all your subjects! :woo:
With Maths, I literally just did tons and tons of exam questions/practice question/summary questions from exercises in the textbook and I ended up getting a 9 :biggrin:
Original post by cheetos
& Maths lol
And seriously.. make sure you go over the hard stuff. I know so many people who decided to revise only the easy stuff (because it's fun getting stuff right) and ended up not having enough time to cover the hard topics i.e. vectors, graphs etc.
Original post by mohamadjamil03
With Maths, I literally just did tons and tons of exam questions/practice question/summary questions from exercises in the textbook and I ended up getting a 9 :biggrin:
Reply 5

Well done!! I’m aiming for a 7/8 so I’m definitely going to be doing much more of that
I honestly can't give you English tips because I had no idea how to revise any of that and ended up not doing as well as I wanted to.
Reply 7
For the content heavy subjects, flashcards testing yourself on the content and definitions that you need to memorise are amazing. I usually use a 'good pile, bad pile' system where I test myself on a bunch of flash cards. The ones I answer correctly go into the good pile and the ones I don't get go into my bad pile. I then go on to memorise the cards left in my bad pile. As time goes by, you should find your bad pile decreasing until exam time when you should be amazing at all your subjects! :woo:

This sounds like such a good system, thank youuuu
i love this idea and i have a tonne of flashcards but i fear i have too many and won't be able to learn them all!! i have like 400
Reply 9
And seriously.. make sure you go over the hard stuff. I know so many people who decided to revise only the easy stuff (because it's fun getting stuff right) and ended up not having enough time to cover the hard topics i.e. vectors, graphs etc.

Okay I will, thank you for the tip ☺️
Yeah.. I have my A-Levels in a month and have around 700 flash cards for the whole course but I've been slowly getting through it all a couple chapters at a time and I'd say it's going pretty well! :biggrin:

Trust me... if you start now and keep consistent with it, you'll have no problem at all.
Original post by angrybear247
i love this idea and i have a tonne of flashcards but i fear i have too many and won't be able to learn them all!! i have like 400
Theres this amazing thread for spanish gcse- its helped jump my grades for spanish dramatically

Heres the link below
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5241834
How are people revising geography? There's so much content, I spent about 4 days of this Easter on just learning Geography from the textbook but I only finished the stuff for paper 1 - and I'm still not sure if I remember it! I'm predicted a 9 and I really want to achieve it so does anyone have any tips?
One more thing... when you're memorising new flash cards, make sure you go over them again multiple times on the same day. I don't know if it's just me, but when memorising something new, I tend to forget it pretty quickly (usually by the next day). I'd suggest spending 10 minutes on them every 2 hours or so.
ahh thank you!!! good luck or your a levels :eek:
Yeah.. I have my A-Levels in a month and have around 700 flash cards for the whole course but I've been slowly getting through it all a couple chapters at a time and I'd say it's going pretty well! :biggrin:

Trust me... if you start now and keep consistent with it, you'll have no problem at all.
Reply 15
Original post by Layla20125
Theres this amazing thread for spanish gcse- its helped jump my grades for spanish dramatically

Heres the link below
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5241834

I have my Spanish speaking exam on the 30th so I’m defoo gonna put this into use😂😂 thank you
Reply 16
Original post by studyingpeach
How are people revising geography? There's so much content, I spent about 4 days of this Easter on just learning Geography from the textbook but I only finished the stuff for paper 1 - and I'm still not sure if I remember it! I'm predicted a 9 and I really want to achieve it so does anyone have any tips?

I don’t know if this will help but for processes, e.g formation of a tropical storm, I make flash cards. I write the process out one side. Then I do questions on the other side with a mini diagram on the same side.
No problem :smile:
I have mine the week after which im absoulutely scared about but good luck with your exams xxx
Original post by cheetos
I have my Spanish speaking exam on the 30th so I’m defoo gonna put this into use😂😂 thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending