The Student Room Group

Asthma attack. No inhalers

I'm meant to take my blue inhaler when I'm wheezy but it has just ran out. It is the middle of the night. My dad's at work and im only 14 so I can't go anywhere but I'm starting to wheeze and feel tight chested. Any advice on what I can do?

Scroll to see replies

is it a full on asthma attack?
My recommendation is to call 111. They may be able to help you get hold of a replacement inhaler, (ie. tell you where to go) they can also get you an ambulance if you need urgent medical asssistance.

At 14 you should not be stuck in the house, especially if you are home alone and need medical help.
Reply 3
Original post by Gent2324
is it a full on asthma attack?

no not yet. But normally when it's like this it will get serious after about 10 minutes - a couple of hours. There has only been about two or three times when it hasn't got worse
Reply 4
Ok. I will call 111 if it starts to get serious
Original post by Nefarious
My recommendation is to call 111. They may be able to help you get hold of a replacement inhaler, (ie. tell you where to go) they can also get you an ambulance if you need urgent medical asssistance.

At 14 you should not be stuck in the house, especially if you are home alone and need medical help.
Reply 5
Original post by cari_jones1
I'm meant to take my blue inhaler when I'm wheezy but it has just ran out. It is the middle of the night. My dad's at work and im only 14 so I can't go anywhere but I'm starting to wheeze and feel tight chested. Any advice on what I can do?

Call 111. If need be you can ask a neighbour for a lift or get your dad to call you a taxi and charge it to his card. Hopefully 111 can sort you out a way to get a replacement without any fuss, but if you feel like you will need something pretty immediately or 111 can't help A&E is your best option.
I'm pretty sure any of my neighbours would be willing to get up in the middle of the night for a kid who can't breathe so if you can't get there any other way choose your nicest neighbour and kncok the heck out of their door.
Reply 6
Ok. Thank you . I will try this if it gets bad at all

Original post by Kindred
Call 111. If need be you can ask a neighbour for a lift or get your dad to call you a taxi and charge it to his card. Hopefully 111 can sort you out a way to get a replacement without any fuss, but if you feel like you will need something pretty immediately or 111 can't help A&E is your best option.
I'm pretty sure any of my neighbours would be willing to get up in the middle of the night for a kid who can't breathe so if you can't get there any other way choose your nicest neighbour and kncok the heck out of their door.
Reply 7
Ok. Thank you . I will try this if it gets bad at all

If you know that it's probably going to get bad it would be better to start things now so it's not an emergency in 10mins.
Do you have any breathing exercises or anything that you've been told to do?
Reply 8
No. I've never got given any
Original post by Kindred
If you know that it's probably going to get bad it would be better to start things now so it's not an emergency in 10mins.
Do you have any breathing exercises or anything that you've been told to do?
Reply 9
No. I've never got given any

Try googling some. I would think deep, slow breaths and leaning against a wall with your knees up and your arms and head resting on them.
Reply 10
Asthma attacks can be fatal if untreated. You won't be able to get a reliever at this time of night, so your best bet is A and E. Call 111, call your dad, and get an adult. You can't leave this, it has a potential to get serious.

And get the gp to prescribe multiple inhalers so when one runs out you aren't stuck.
Ok thank you for the advice. I managed to sleep through the night without getting one and I told my dad about it. He said he will get me a new inhaler and if I get an asthma attack before it comes then we will call 111 or if it is really bad, we can go to a + e. The thing is that we don't have a car and the hospital is like an hour's walk away so what would I have to do if it got that bad?
Original post by Kindred
Try googling some. I would think deep, slow breaths and leaning against a wall with your knees up and your arms and head resting on them.
Ok. Thank you
Original post by katf
Asthma attacks can be fatal if untreated. You won't be able to get a reliever at this time of night, so your best bet is A and E. Call 111, call your dad, and get an adult. You can't leave this, it has a potential to get serious.

And get the gp to prescribe multiple inhalers so when one runs out you aren't stuck.
Ok thank you for the advice. I managed to sleep through the night without getting one and I told my dad about it. He said he will get me a new inhaler and if I get an asthma attack before it comes then we will call 111 or if it is really bad, we can go to a + e. The thing is that we don't have a car and the hospital is like an hour's walk away so what would I have to do if it got that bad?

Glad you are okay. :smile:
If it does get bad you can ask a neighbour or get a taxi to avoid that walk. Probably not the best thing for an asthma attack.
Hopefully your dad can get you a fresh inhaler before you get another attack though.
Thank you for all of your help :smile: I will but I've got my fingers crossed :crossedf: that I won't get another one :five:
Original post by Kindred
Glad you are okay. :smile:
If it does get bad you can ask a neighbour or get a taxi to avoid that walk. Probably not the best thing for an asthma attack.
Hopefully your dad can get you a fresh inhaler before you get another attack though.
Don't ever sleep again, if the asthma attack is bad you can actually die while you sleep.
No I hadn't because it wasn't bad at all. I was just wheezing the tiniest bit and was worried it might of got worse but it didn't....LUCKILY :rofl2:
Ok..... I was only wheezing the tiniest bit. I could still breathe well. I was just worried it was going to get worse and whenever it does I always wake up anyway. But it wasn't bad enough for me to die :dontknow:
Original post by ibyghee
Don't ever sleep again, if the asthma attack is bad you can actually die while you sleep.
Ok..... I was only wheezing the tiniest bit. I could still breathe well. I was just worried it was going to get worse and whenever it does I always wake up anyway. But it wasn't bad enough for me to die :dontknow:

thats ok then IG, but just to be sure stay awake lol
Jeez. I would say always have an inhaler that you NEVER use unless it is an emergency. So have two in the house but constantly use one and only use it if you begin to feel like you are having an attack and your other one is out and you haven't got a replacement, but as policy try to never use the emergency one. Also, don't feel embarrassed to call an ambulance, it is their job to collect people and help them out, and odds are they have treatment in the ambulance so you don't even need to go to the hospital, but asthma attacks are life-threatening, so don't hesitate to call for help.

Quick Reply

Latest