The Student Room Group

Is it a good idea to sleep for 7 hours everyday?

I am in year 11 and I want to start waking up at 5 everyday to go through flashcards. Apparently a 16 year old should sleep 8/9 hours. Am I helping myself by getting extra revision done or am I just making it worse

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
7 hours is more than enough for most people so its completely fine
7/8 hours is pretty normal. 6/5 is less than that but it’s still pretty normal. I would start to worry when it’s less than 4
Original post by jjjjxxx
7 hours is more than enough for most people so its completely fine

It's not more than enough for most people. For a small proportion of the population yes. But it is certainly not optimal for most.
Sleep for at least 7h a day. It improves your ability to concentrate and make studying more efficient. I doubt you can remember those flashcards half awake (provide you have the ability to keep up with the schedule)
I genuinely love waking up at 5am to revise. Something about it makes me 10 times more productive compared to when I'm normally revising. I'd highly suggest at least trying it out for anyone reading this, and hell yeah, 7 hours of sleep is great! :woo:
As long as it's quality sleep and you feel rested, it's fine.
Lil' heads up. If you wanna try it out tonight, you should probably get some sleep ASAP. :biggrin:
Original post by Littlegeekgirl_
I am in year 11 and I want to start waking up at 5 everyday to go through flashcards. Apparently a 16 year old should sleep 8/9 hours. Am I helping myself by getting extra revision done or am I just making it worse

Most teenagers will sleep about 6 hours. Margaret Thatcher ran the country on 3 hours a night, and well.
Original post by mohamadjamil03
Lil' heads up. If you wanna try it out tonight, you should probably get some sleep ASAP. :biggrin:

Nah, not until term starts
as in for teens we usually sleep less and some people even sleep for 3-5 hours - all im tryna say is 7 hours is perfect
Original post by SanicSpeed
It's not more than enough for most people. For a small proportion of the population yes. But it is certainly not optimal for most.

no, dont, get more sleep, revision is quality not quantity, you can survive on 7 but you're better off with more, your brain learns and stores memory whilst you sleep.
7 hours is usually enough to be vaguely functional. Five or less is objectively terrible for you, somewhere between 7-9 is usually the hot 'good rest' zone. But you are correct that as a young person you'll likely function better on slightly more.

Regardless of all of that though, this is absolutely overkill for revision and you shouldn't compromise your rest for an extra round of flashcards at ****ing GCSE level. Calm down.
Original post by Laurence863
no, dont, get more sleep, revision is quality not quantity, you can survive on 7 but you're better off with more, your brain learns and stores memory whilst you sleep.

How many hours do you think is ideal?
How many hours do you think is ideal?

Go to bed. From the time that you fall asleep to the time that you naturally wake up feeling aight is usually the ideal, assuming you're not woken up by some external thing like a loud noise or an insomnia condition.

Seeing as getting 7 hours is apparently abnormal for you, it's probably too little for you.
Original post by SanicSpeed

Actually, the National Sleep Foundation recommends 7-9 hours sleep for adults (the majority of the population).

For those U18 it gradually increases.
The optimal figure for 16 year olds is around 9 (almost nobody gets this regularly since school whacks our schedules badly)

7 is on the lower end of acceptable in my opinion. I've certainly never done well on that little. Never mind revising after waking up.

If you work significantly better in the early mornings than in the afternoons, then it's worth a shot. Otherwise, it's really counterproductive
Reply 17
Sleep when yer dead.
I would say at your age it’s probably good to sleep 8 if possible because your body is still developing rapidly. At my stage I can sleep 4 hours. :biggrin:

Original post by gjd800
Sleep when yer dead.

Go hard or go home am I right? :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by Themysticalegg
I would say at your age it’s probably good to sleep 8 if possible because your body is still developing rapidly. At my stage I can sleep 4 hours. :biggrin:

Go hard or go home am I right? :biggrin:

Yep!

Quick Reply

Latest