The Student Room Group

Higher English 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brooke6468
doing the 2015 higher English past paper and these are 2 questions that are relevant to my text

1. Choose a novel or short story in
which there is a moment of significance for one of the characters. Explain
briefly what the significant moment is and discuss, with reference to
appropriate techniques, its significance to the text as a whole. (2015)

1. Choose a novel or short story which
has a satisfying ending. Discuss to what extent the ending provides a
successful conclusion to the text as a whole. (2015)

how would i go about these/structure these essays?

for the satisfying ending, I'd do a paragraph each on things like theme, character, symbolism, setting, and in each, I'd first analyse a quote from the conclusion/ending, then look at one from earlier in the story, and compare them, looking at how they link... hope that helps...
Reply 61
What poem does everyone think is going to come up for Carol Ann Duffy? I reckon it’ll be one of the new ones or part 2 of Mrs Midas.
Hey guys, im also doing higher English this year and its by far my worst subject, I am wondering if people could help boost my confidence with the essay question for the non fiction prose section, im doing "A Hanging! by George Orwell and there has been a suitable question for the text every year but I just want some reassurance that people think there will also be a question for it this year, it was also featured on the understanding standards page which slightly helps me but I would love to hear from some other students.

Thanks! :smile:
I'm sure you'll be fine. If it fits with past papers, it will this year, and if you look above, it seems someone else is doing your text. Don't worry!
Original post by Unknown1719
Hey guys, im also doing higher English this year and its by far my worst subject, I am wondering if people could help boost my confidence with the essay question for the non fiction prose section, im doing "A Hanging! by George Orwell and there has been a suitable question for the text every year but I just want some reassurance that people think there will also be a question for it this year, it was also featured on the understanding standards page which slightly helps me but I would love to hear from some other students.

Thanks! :smile:
Hi all. For those doing J&H I know there's not much time left- I'm stressing too, but here's a quotes list/analysis tips booklet I found on another thread. Also, I've attached a list of possible 10 mark questions on the text, which my teacher gave us. Hope this helps :smile:
Thank you @ChrisC19!
I was worrying about Jekyll and Hyde today, as we have did no analysis whatsoever on the quotes. Thanks again!😊
Original post by Smilingtribute
Thank you @ChrisC19!
I was worrying about Jekyll and Hyde today, as we have did no analysis whatsoever on the quotes. Thanks again!😊

no problem at all, happy to help :smile:
I'm doing the Great Gatsby for my critical essay and was wondering how I should revise for possible different essay questions. Right now I'm looking over the event timeline of the novel to refresh my memory and I was looking for tips on how to plan out possible essays. Many thanks.
Original post by AyrshireStudent
I'm doing the Great Gatsby for my critical essay and was wondering how I should revise for possible different essay questions. Right now I'm looking over the event timeline of the novel to refresh my memory and I was looking for tips on how to plan out possible essays. Many thanks.

what you want to do is get a list of quotes that fit more than one of theme, character, symbolism, setting etc so you can answer any style of essay question. quotes are by far the way to go I'd say, even if you have only a simple understanding of them. Using a quote-analysis-evaluation structure (you may prefer something more like Point-Evidence-Develop-Evaluate-Link, or PEDEL to help you remember) is the simplest way to structure paragraphs. you may do two PEDELS in a paragraph on the same topic/ concern of your text, if you have two pieces of evidence (quotes). main thing is BE FAMILLIAR with quotes, so you can remember them quickly, and use them in any context.
Original post by ChrisC19
what you want to do is get a list of quotes that fit more than one of theme, character, symbolism, setting etc so you can answer any style of essay question. quotes are by far the way to go I'd say, even if you have only a simple understanding of them. Using a quote-analysis-evaluation structure (you may prefer something more like Point-Evidence-Develop-Evaluate-Link, or PEDEL to help you remember) is the simplest way to structure paragraphs. you may do two PEDELS in a paragraph on the same topic/ concern of your text, if you have two pieces of evidence (quotes). main thing is BE FAMILLIAR with quotes, so you can remember them quickly, and use them in any context.

Thanks for the advice, I was planning on creating topic sentences for each individual paragraph and using Point Evidence Explain and link back to the question. I think I'll write down to quotes as soon as the exam begins so I don't forget them. The problem with myself is just time and trying to write enough in the time given. Do you have any advice on how long it should be as I've been told around I should be looking at writing around 3-5 sides. Many Thanks.
Thanks for the advice, I was planning on creating topic sentences for each individual paragraph and using Point Evidence Explain and link back to the question. I think I'll write down to quotes as soon as the exam begins so I don't forget them. The problem with myself is just time and trying to write enough in the time given. Do you have any advice on how long it should be as I've been told around I should be looking at writing around 3-5 sides. Many Thanks.

sides is a poor indicator of length and quality. 4-5 strong paragraphs, plus intro and conclusion should serve you well. Make sure you cover the plot briefly in your intro so you don't have to keep referring to it for your essay to make sense. that should save some time. Your explanation of quotes doesn't have to be to the letter, you can do simple points on each, and make sure to connect how techniques give the reader better appreciation, but don't get caught up waffling too much trying to link every minute detail.

Not sure how many sides, as each person writes different sizes, but I think for my Higher English, the critical essay was an intro, 3/4 paragraphs and a very short conclusion. While you do need quantity to some extent in terms of doing enough analysis and having enough points to make a good argument, it is mostly quality over quantity :smile:
Anyone doing carol ann Duffy? Just wondering what predictions you have for the 10 marker and for what poem will turn up as the text?
I'd say it's going to be one of the new ones that show up and I think the 10 marker will be on change or relationships (hopefully change) as these are the 2 themes that are in both new poems and every other poem too.
Also if anyone has any exam style questions for the new poems that they could share could you please do that :smile:
Thanks !!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 73
It's just 3 weeks left and i haven't yet memorized quotes for either the prose or drama, we're doing J
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Daniyal Khan
It's just 3 weeks left and i haven't yet memorized quotes for either the prose or drama, we're doing J

Honestly same I’ve spent more time doing other subjects than English lol
Reply 75
Quick question about the essay.

My class has given me 6 poems to use, after talking with my tutor, I will be focusing on using one of the 6 (War Photographer, Carol Ann Duffy) but just incase it isn't usable in the questions, she has advised me to use one I did for Nat5 (Mid Term Break, Seamus Heaney). Am i allowed to do this? i'm not sure how it works and if they will ignore my paper as it wasn't written on the ones I did in class. Thanks
Original post by OSkis

My class has given me 6 poems to use, after talking with my tutor, I will be focusing on using one of the 6 (War Photographer, Carol Ann Duffy) but just incase it isn't usable in the questions, she has advised me to use one I did for Nat5 (Mid Term Break, Seamus Heaney). Am i allowed to do this?

If you've been given 6 poems, that sounds like Scottish text- do you have something else to use for your set Scottish text?

Original post by OSkis
i'm not sure how it works and if they will ignore my paper as it wasn't written on the ones I did in class. Thanks

They won't ignore your paper- they won't know what you studied in class.
Original post by OSkis

My class has given me 6 poems to use, after talking with my tutor, I will be focusing on using one of the 6 (War Photographer, Carol Ann Duffy) but just incase it isn't usable in the questions, she has advised me to use one I did for Nat5 (Mid Term Break, Seamus Heaney). Am i allowed to do this? i'm not sure how it works and if they will ignore my paper as it wasn't written on the ones I did in class. Thanks

The advice from Labrador99 is correct. That said I am not completely sure what you mean. In your post you say your "teacher has given you 6 poems to use." It is clear you have been given the Carol Ann Duffy set of poems. What is concerning me is whether you are going to use this set to answer the Scottish Set Text question on Carol Ann Duffy as well as the critical essay question. If so you are not allowed to use any of the six poems to answer the critical essay question IF you have already used the same set to answer the Scottish Set Text question. If you have used Carol Ann Duffy for the Scottish Set Text question you must not use any of her six poems for the critical essay question. It will invalidate your critical essay response.

Maybe I miss read your post - and if so I appologise - but I got the impression you intended to use Carol Ann Duffy for both tasks.
Reply 78
I intend to use it solely for the essay, thanks for confirming Labrador's advice. My fault as I was in a hurry and the post was badly worded.
Original post by jamesg2
The advice from Labrador99 is correct. That said I am not completely sure what you mean. In your post you say your "teacher has given you 6 poems to use." It is clear you have been given the Carol Ann Duffy set of poems. What is concerning me is whether you are going to use this set to answer the Scottish Set Text question on Carol Ann Duffy as well as the critical essay question. If so you are not allowed to use any of the six poems to answer the critical essay question IF you have already used the same set to answer the Scottish Set Text question. If you have used Carol Ann Duffy for the Scottish Set Text question you must not use any of her six poems for the critical essay question. It will invalidate your critical essay response.

Maybe I miss read your post - and if so I appologise - but I got the impression you intended to use Carol Ann Duffy for both tasks.
Original post by OSkis
I intend to use it solely for the essay, thanks for confirming Labrador's advice. My fault as I was in a hurry and the post was badly worded.

If you don't mind me asking, why have you decided to only revise 1 of the poems that you've covered during Higher English as well as a poem that you studied during National 5?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending