The Student Room Group

My Ultimate GCSE Grade 9 Strategy!

Hello everyone!

Lately I’ve been trying to figure out the best strategy to get a grade 9 in every subject, so I’d like to share what I’ve discovered and the best strategy to boost my grades from 7 and 8s to straight 9s. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in the comments!

Timetables don’t work for everyone including myself, so I’ve started off by making a loose one, with goals rather than strict deadlines. I’ve given myself 2 hours of revision to complete every day until 7pm, and if I fail that then it has to be 3 by the time I go to bed, this gives me motivation to actually study. On weekends, I can choose to study 3 hours on Saturday or 4 hours on Sunday, again to motivate me to get it done earlier.

Once I worked out my basic schedule, I began figuring out my weakest areas in each subject, and came to the conclusion I need to spend most of my time on Maths, Sciences and History. I’m currently working at a grade 7 in all of these, but they are the most important subjects to me so I should be at an 8 or 9 by now.

This is the most important part: I spent countless hours figuring out where I went right and wrong in terms of revision, and everything always ended up at 3 main points. I’ll summarise them below:

1. SAVE TIME: Elon Musk’s recent letter to employees revealed his best strategies to improve work performance, and it could all be summarised to time saving. You don’t need to revise as much if you’re working much more efficiently. Figure out where you’re wasting time, and organise your revision. I’ve been using Revisely to revise lately and its helped my revision so much just by saving my time.

2. REMOVE DISTRACTIONS: You’re not gonna want to hear this, but you gotta delete instagram, snapchat etc. off of your phone for now. You can redownload them at any time of course, but that takes more time and thought as you’re more than 3 seconds away from scrolling through that feed or those stories. Remove all other distractions in your home, on your phone and your computer as well as it should be a huge help.

3. USE GOOD RESOURCES: Choosing a textbook is vitally important and teachers never emphasise this, they just recommend one, which is quite often terrible. I’d go to a library or rent a couple from amazon to figure out which one works best for you before settling down. The internet has also helped me tremendously with websites like bitesize and revisely - make sure you use these along side textbooks!

Thanks for your time and I really hope this helps, for advice about a specific subject, please ask down below and I’ll see if I can help!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

WhAT HAVE YOU GOT IN YOUR MOCKS SO FAR? (sorry for caps)
By listing the techniques that you mentioned and therefore, it's helpful.Will I will still be able to get good grades at GCSE's if I start doing revision from now?
^ if I start now do you think it's possible?
Reply 4
Hi, which exam board are you doing for history and how are you revising? Thanks for the advice x
That's actually so helpful. Ive been trying to push my grades up
Not everyone takes history...
Original post by Examhelpp
Hi, which exam board are you doing for history and how are you revising? Thanks for the advice x
Reply 7
Hi, AntMan200 said "came to the conclusion I need to spend most of my time on Maths, Sciences and History"
Original post by Simms.exe
Reply 8
Original post by Woofsaidthedog
WhAT HAVE YOU GOT IN YOUR MOCKS SO FAR? (sorry for caps)

7s and 8s
Which subjects do you do?
Reply 10
It's not a guarantee of course, but you're much more likely to get good grades if you start now rather than later.
Original post by LuxuriousAngel
By listing the techniques that you mentioned and therefore, it's helpful.Will I will still be able to get good grades at GCSE's if I start doing revision from now?
Reply 11
Can't really call it 'My Ultimate GCSE Grade 9 Strategy' when you said you hadn't gotten any in your mocks.
Original post by AntMan200
7s and 8s
Reply 12
Definitely possible! Not too late yet.
Original post by Hiro2468
Reply 13
There's not too much I can add to the original post, but I'd put extra emphasis on completing as many past papers as possible since they're especially important for History. A few others things I'd consider are mind maps, creating flash cards and watching revision videos. Hope this helps!
Original post by AntMan200
Definitely possible! Not too late yet.

Thank you! But I'm worried because it doesn't feel like I'm doing any effective revision towards my GCSEs. I'm going to the library today but still it feels like everyday is wasted.
Reply 15
Original post by Hiro2468

never doubt yourself
Reply 16
I'm glad it helps, how have you been doing so far?
That's actually so helpful. Ive been trying to push my grades up
Okay thanks for the advice x
Reply 18
I do though, I said this in the post
Reply 19
Yep
Hi, AntMan200 said "came to the conclusion I need to spend most of my time on Maths, Sciences and History"

Quick Reply

Latest