The Student Room Group

Telling my parents I'm not religious

I'm almost 17 and, after a lot of thought, I'm not religious.

I'm supposed to be catholic; I've been baptised, had communion and have been confirmed a few years back now. I was raised in a household that holds catholic beliefs, but we were never strict on them and nor was it exactly 'shoved down my throat'. I'm a strong believer of: believe in whatever or no upper power, I'll respect you as long as you respect me.

I'm just afraid that my parents, especially my mother, will be extremely disappointed more so angry. She'll think I've gone mad; it's one thing being gay and it's ANOTHER thing suddenly saying hey, I don't believe in Jesus.

I want to tell them, got no idea how. It's like coming out all over again.
(edited 5 years ago)
Just show hints or something. Don’t have to outright tell them but be honest to yourself. Who do you want to impress more? You or your parents?
Original post by totaro_

I'm supposed to be catholic; I've been baptised, had communion and have been confirmed a few years back now. I was raised in a household that holds catholic beliefs, but we were never strict on them and nor was it exactly 'shoved down my throat'. I'm a strong believer of: believe in whatever or no upper power, I'll respect you as long as you respect me.

I'm just afraid that my parents, especially my mother, will be extremely disappointed more so angry. She'll think I've gone mad; it's one thing being gay and it's ANOTHER thing suddenly saying hey, I don't believe in Jesus.

Why do you need to tell them? If it isn't 'shoved down' your throat, does it even come up in conversation? Do you go to Church every sunday? If not, is there any reason to tell them? Is it that important.
Reply 3
Original post by Professional G
Just show hints or something. Don’t have to outright tell them but be honest to yourself. Who do you want to impress more? You or your parents?

Already have. They want me to go to church every Sunday, I say no, and I also have exams coming up so I'd much rather study.

I wanna put myself first, but it's a bit of a pain when stuff like this gets in the way.
Reply 4
Original post by That'sGreat
Why do you need to tell them? If it isn't 'shoved down' your throat, does it even come up in conversation? Do you go to Church every sunday? If not, is there any reason to tell them? Is it that important.

Forgot to mention that they want me to go to church every week, or as often as I can. I avoid it at all costs, which is a hint in itself, and I do have exams coming up relatively soon so them trying to make me go isn't as useful for me as revising would.
Hide it. I’m gonna hide it forever
Original post by totaro_
Already have. They want me to go to church every Sunday, I say no, and I also have exams coming up so I'd much rather study.

I wanna put myself first, but it's a bit of a pain when stuff like this gets in the way.

Well, you still have some time to make yourself comfortable. Perhaps, studying is your best option right now.

Just have to work on yourself now. Don’t have to worry about things like this till much latwr
Reply 7
Original post by CHANEL&amp
Hide it. I’m gonna hide it forever

I wish I could. 😂
Original post by totaro_

Do you believe in God at all? Why have you (apparently) become discontented with your faith?

It is your choice whether to bring this up with your parents, but if you do, I believe it is always best to be honest with your parents.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Professional G
Well, you still have some time to make yourself comfortable. Perhaps, studying is your best option right now.

Just have to work on yourself now. Don’t have to worry about things like this till much latwr

I know I shouldn't but it all gets a bit much when they want you to go to church all the time. They don't get it really.
Reply 10
Original post by Yeshua saves
Do you believe in God at all? Why have you (apparently) become discontented with your faith?

It is your choice whether to bring this up with your parents, but if you do, I believe it is always best to be honest with your parents.

I'm agnostic, there's probably "something" up there and who knows really? I don't believe what's said in the Bible and I've been through a lot to understand that I don't believe in catholicism / religion.

Thank you for your response, I'll try my best to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending