The Student Room Group

Notre Dam inside job?

Alright, chill out. That was just a sensationalist headline, but it's an interesting idea considering what the (supposedly) architect of restoration came out to say. If there is anyone who can speak French who can determine whether what the subtitles say is correct or incorrect, then by all means please do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgY44l7aiBU
Original post by That'sGreat
Alright, chill out. That was just a sensationalist headline, but it's an interesting idea considering what the (supposedly) architect of restoration came out to say. If there is anyone who can speak French who can determine whether what the subtitles say is correct or incorrect, then by all means please do

Don't be ridiculous. These buildings are old and very flammable. Look at Windsor castle and others. St Paul's in London would have burned down during the blitz had it not been for some very vigilant fire fighters. I think the french who are more renowned for their greves than their efficiency took their eye off the ball where electrical safety certificates were concerned
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Don't be ridiculous. These buildings are old and very flammable. Look at Windsor castle and others. St Paul's in London would have burned down during the blitz had it not been for some very vigilant fire fighters. I think the french who are more renowned for their greves than their efficiency took their eye off the ball where electrical safety certificates were concerned

A trained and experienced architect at the top of his game says otherwise
Reply 3

Have you listened to other experienced architects opinions or just this guy?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If you choose to listen to one person’s opinion and ignore the complete lack of evidence then I consider that to be highly irrational.

Yeah and all the "trained and experienced architects" come out of the woodwork. These things happen. Electricity and old wooden buildings don't work well together
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Yeah and all the "trained and experienced architects" come out of the woodwork. These things happen. Electricity and old wooden buildings don't work well together

Yeah, but not all the 'trained and experienced' architects who were in charge of the Notre Dam renovations.
Original post by Notnek
Have you listened to other experienced architects opinions or just this guy?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If you choose to listen to one person’s opinion and ignore the complete lack of evidence then I consider that to be highly irrational.

No, because this topic isn't being covered by MSN. And considering he is in charge of renovations for Notre Dam, he is a pretty credible source.

As I've said, this is just an 'interesting idea', nobody is saying it is definitely an inside job.
Reply 6
I can personally vouch that the lizard people, sorros, the royals, big tobacco, big pharma and the zionists all did this..
Reply 7
Original post by Cxesar
I hope your not being sarcastic because if you right to a small extent

Don't worry, I'm 97% sure that he wasn't being sarcastic.
Original post by Notnek
Don't worry, I'm 97% sure that he wasn't being sarcastic.

Maistre Nottenekke we thinken sans ony shredde of evidaunce thatte this tragedie was sikerley an insyde jobbe forsooth
Reply 9
Original post by the bear
Maistre Nottenekke we thinken sans ony shredde of evidaunce thatte this tragedie was sikerley an insyde jobbe forsooth

I'm sensing lizard. How forked is your tongue on a scale of 1 to 10?
ande we al knoe thatte woden beemes burneth notte with lykewise celeritie unlesse jette fewel ben usedde.
altho the folke yclept Lezards werre parte of thisen grand conspiracie methinks thatte it ben alsoe a trikke of the knaveishe churls yclepen Yellowe Doublettes who neden a goode spanckinge forsooth upon mye trothe.

The subtitles are correct.
But still doesn't mean it was an inside job, or that this guy is who we should be listening too. Don't get caught up in BS until there is real evidence, otherwise other people will peddle these stories on for years.

Also, He's banging on about 800 year old Oak, it was my understanding that dry woods burns better than wood which still has high levels of moisture in it.

No, because this topic isn't being covered by MSN. And considering he is in charge of renovations for Notre Dam, he is a pretty credible source.
As I've said, this is just an 'interesting idea', nobody is saying it is definitely an inside job.

The reason why this isn't being covered by MSN is because we actually haven't heard from the investigators yet. If you think that the MSN hasn't reported on this is some kind of indication that he is correct (which isn't the case) then I think we shouldn't really take any theory, that it was an inside job or it was started by muslims, seriously as the people who make those claims are only doing it to promote their agenda

I wouldn't really take his word as gospel. After all he may be an architect, but that doesn't nessecarily make him an expert on fire prevention and safety which means that what he is saying could be factually incorrect. Not only that, but it is entirely possible that other factors, such as an unknown phenomena could have allowed the fire to spead, 'even if the beams were flame resistant'. Prior to the kings cross fire, we didn't even know that the trench effect (which allowed the fire to quickly spread), existed.

Not to mention that as he was the former chief architect, it is entirely possible that he is trying to cover his arse if he ever approved a alteration to the church that would have aided the spread of the fire.

I don't really get how the fact that the beams old neccesarily supports his theory anyways. If it was an inside job, then how could the perpretrators lit the whole roof on fire if the beams were supposedly flame resistant?

I am just saying that we should take his word with a large pinch of salt.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
MSN or MSM?
Macron needed a distraction so anything is possible...
Original post by stoyfan
The reason why this isn't being covered by MSN is because we actually haven't heard from the investigators yet. If you think that the MSN hasn't reported on this is some kind of indication that he is correct (which isn't the case) then I think we shouldn't really take any theory, that it was an inside job or it was started by muslims, seriously as the people who make those claims are only doing it to promote their agenda

I wouldn't really take his word as gospel. After all he may be an architect, but that doesn't nessecarily make him an expert on fire prevention and safety which means that what he is saying could be factually incorrect. Not only that, but it is entirely possible that other factors, such as an unknown phenomena could have allowed the fire to spead, 'even if the beams were flame resistant'. Prior to the kings cross fire, we didn't even know that the trench effect (which allowed the fire to quickly spread), existed.

As I said, it is not being covered by MSM and and it is just an interesting idea...
Original post by mnot
The subtitles are correct.
But still doesn't mean it was an inside job, or that this guy is who we should be listening too. Don't get caught up in BS until there is real evidence, otherwise other people will peddle these stories on for years.

Also, He's banging on about 800 year old Oak, it was my understanding that dry woods burns better than wood which still has high levels of moisture in it.

Read the post, I said it was a sensationalist headline
Subs are legit as far as my AS level french can tell.

I don't know any architects that spending a lot of time setting wood on fire. While he's obviously gotta know a bit about building materials, I wouldn't be so sure that fire safety is his remit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending