The Student Room Group

Any advice on how to control nerves before a test

I have my proper spanish speaking exam in like 2 weeks, and for part of it we have to memorise about 24 paragraphs of spanish for the General Conversation part and literally just say i in the test, but I have a problem of nerves getting the better of me, and as this is the real this too, I'm gonna be sooo nervous.

The problem is when I'm nervous I tend to forget the thing I'm trying to remember and this is going to be disastrous on the day if it happens, so does anyone have any advice on how to control nerves? xx
Reply 1
bump (sorry just really need help)
Hiya, your speaking is going to be recorded on a voice recorder, so there's no actual camera. My French teacher is letting me bring in my stress ball. Check with your Spanish teacher/examiner within your school to see if they'll let you (I'm 99% sure they well :yep: ). It helps a lot.

Good luck! :five:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RazzzBerries
Hiya, your speaking is going to be recorded on a voice recorder, so there's no actual camera. My French teacher is letting me bring in my stress ball. Check with your German teacher/examiner within your school to see if they'll let you (I'm 99% sure they well :yep: ). It helps a lot.

Stress ball?
Original post by Jinwon
Stress ball?

You squeeze it to get your muscles to stop tensing.
Simple breathing exercises are a place to start. Search the web and look over you tube.

Adjusting your mental attitude will also help - don't be afraid of nerves it's a collection of heightened feelings - there just not organised and focused. If you have done the work you should get the grade - tell yourself (those nerves) that. Believe in yourself and things will calm and settle down so that you can use the heightened feelings constructively and be pleased to show the examiner your skills. You'll probably make some slip-ups but that's only human; your not a robot after all.
Original post by ASJ_12
I have my proper spanish speaking exam in like 2 weeks, and for part of it we have to memorise about 24 paragraphs of spanish for the General Conversation part and literally just say i in the test, but I have a problem of nerves getting the better of me, and as this is the real this too, I'm gonna be sooo nervous.

The problem is when I'm nervous I tend to forget the thing I'm trying to remember and this is going to be disastrous on the day if it happens, so does anyone have any advice on how to control nerves? xx
Reply 6
Original post by RazzzBerries
Hiya, your speaking is going to be recorded on a voice recorder, so there's no actual camera. My French teacher is letting me bring in my stress ball. Check with your German teacher/examiner within your school to see if they'll let you (I'm 99% sure they well :yep: ). It helps a lot.

Thanks, good luck for yours too, oh and its spanish btw :smile: xxx
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Grizwuld
Simple breathing exercises are a place to start. Search the web and look over you tube.

Adjusting your mental attitude will also help - don't be afraid of nerves it's a collection of heightened feelings - there just not organised and focused. If you have done the work you should get the grade - tell yourself (those nerves) that. Believe in yourself and things will calm and settle down so that you can use the heightened feelings constructively and be pleased to show the examiner your skills. You'll probably make some slip-ups but that's only human; your not a robot after all.

Thank you! I really appreciate this
Original post by ASJ_12
Thanks, good luck for yours too, oh and its spanish btw :smile: xxx

Shoot, I was thinking of my cousin who's doing German and his stress ball experience and I typed German. :facepalm: My bad.

Thank you, I hope it works out well for you xxx

Quick Reply

Latest