The Student Room Group

Changed my mind about my course and uni?!

Ok, so I've applied to Psychology at City University. I visited the open day and liked it but I don't think I want to do Psychology anymore. I want to do Radiotherapy. But most unis require a science and I do psychology, sociology and Philosophy and many unis don't consider psychology as a science. I'm thinking about contacting city and changing to radiotherapy and then when adjustment or clearing comes up, I can try other unis and if I don't get in, atleast I can do the course I want? Also, am I supposed to go through clearing or adjustment??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlishaFelicia
Ok, so I've applied to Psychology at City University. I visited the open day and liked it but I don't think I want to do Psychology anymore. I want to do Radiotherapy. But most unis require a science and I do psychology, sociology and Philosophy and many unis don't consider psychology as a science. I'm thinking about contacting city and changing to radiotherapy and then when adjustment or clearing comes up, I can try other unis and if I don't get in, atleast I can do the course I want? Also, am I supposed to go through clearing or adjustment??

yes i would contact city and see if they would let you change then if you exceed your firm offer you can use adjustment, if not you can use clearing. I believe you have to have some experience days to apply for radiotherapy so you may want to consider taking a gap year as back up plan.
Be aware that many Radiography courses interview - and that these will all have been completed weeks/months ago.
And that you will need appropriate 'caring' work-experience for any Uni to take you seriously.

And - they will want a science. This is the requirements for Brum City : https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/diagnostic-radiography-bsc-hons-2019-20

It might be worth rethinking this as 'apply next year' - take a distance learning extra A level in one year and use the next few months to get in some w/exp and write a really good PS.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
yes i would contact city and see if they would let you change then if you exceed your firm offer you can use adjustment, if not you can use clearing. I believe you have to have some experience days to apply for radiotherapy so you may want to consider taking a gap year as back up plan.

My parents wouldn't allow me to take a gap year 😭
Original post by returnmigrant
Be aware that many Radiography courses interview - and that these will all have been completed weeks/months ago.
And that you will need appropriate 'caring' work-experience for any Uni to take you seriously.

And - they will want a science. This is the requirements for Brum City : https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/diagnostic-radiography-bsc-hons-2019-20

It might be worth rethinking this as 'apply next year' - take a distance learning extra A level in one year and use the next few months to get in some w/exp and write a really good PS.

Cardiff and Bristol accept Psychology as a science, so does Sheffield hallam (don't think I like this uni much tho)
Bristol doesnt offer Radiography.
Bristol doesnt offer Radiography.

it offers radiotherapy and oncology

it's your choice not your parents, you could always get a job in your gap year.
it offers radiotherapy and oncology

Suggest you check your facts : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/search/
The University of Bristol does not offer Radiography/Oncology.

UWE does - but that is a TOTALLY different University : https://www1.uwe.ac.uk/study/courses.aspx
Suggest you check your facts : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/search/
The University of Bristol does not offer Radiography/Oncology.

UWE does - but that is a TOTALLY different University : https://www1.uwe.ac.uk/study/courses.aspx

ohhhhh 😂😂
You will have to contact City and see what they say. I've got a place for radiography at UWE in Sept and they take psychology as a science so you should be fine there. However, all the universities I applied for including UWE wanted at least a day of work experience in a radiography department, shadowing radiographers. This took me a while to organise and I had to contact multiple hospitals and travel 1.5 hours to the placement. I feel so lucky and thankful I was able to get that placement, otherwise I wouldn't have my offer. I assume you would need similar work experience for radiotherapy, so I would get onto contacting hospitals ASAP if you're really serious about changing course.
Original post by Laurenloops
You will have to contact City and see what they say. I've got a place for radiography at UWE in Sept and they take psychology as a science so you should be fine there. However, all the universities I applied for including UWE wanted at least a day of work experience in a radiography department, shadowing radiographers. This took me a while to organise and I had to contact multiple hospitals and travel 1.5 hours to the placement. I feel so lucky and thankful I was able to get that placement, otherwise I wouldn't have my offer. I assume you would need similar work experience for radiotherapy, so I would get onto contacting hospitals ASAP if you're really serious about changing course.

Thank you, so do you think it will be in clearing for UWE? Or even Cardiff? Did you do psychology?
Thank you, so do you think it will be in clearing for UWE? Or even Cardiff? Did you do psychology?

There was definitely clearing for radiography last year, i remember Birmingham City was one of them but can't remember the others. I have no idea about radiotherapy clearing though as I always knew I wanted to do radiography instead. I did do psychology, but I did biology as well ( C in bio and B in psych).

Better that than dropping our because you hate/fail the first year, having incurred all the costs thereof.

If you really don't want to do psychology, and do want to go for a course for which you don't currently meet the requirements, taking a year off is your only option.
Original post by Minerva
Better that than dropping our because you hate/fail the first year, having incurred all the costs thereof.

If you really don't want to do psychology, and do want to go for a course for which you don't currently meet the requirements, taking a year off is your only option.

I managed to convince my mum, it wasn't that hard 😊
(edited 5 years ago)
I managed to convince my mum, it wasn't that hard 😊

Good to hear :smile:
and plymouth also takes psychology alone and the university is still open to take applications goodluckkk
these threads are interesting. i question whether a 17/18 year old can really make a decision what to study at university. i could barely get a bus age 17 let alone make a decision about the first or second most expensive thing i'll ever buy
Original post by Shazadazzle
and plymouth also takes psychology alone and the university is still open to take applications goodluckkk

At this time?? How can I apply now? I've firmed my city
Original post by ollie1520
these threads are interesting. i question whether a 17/18 year old can really make a decision what to study at university. i could barely get a bus age 17 let alone make a decision about the first or second most expensive thing i'll ever buy

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do at the time I was applying tbh and now I regret what I chose, it was too early for me to apply. I emailed Sheffield hallam and they told that Radio would be open for clearing so that makes me less panickyy and now I really do think that radio is the right decision for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending