The Student Room Group

Medicine or Computer Science?

Hey,
I’m currently a GCSE student in year 11 and still retain the ability to change my a level subjects (at the moment I’ve put Maths, Further maths, Biology and Physics). My dilemma is whether or not I should do medicine or computer science at uni. (I have to make a decision now as I’d have to do chemistry a level for medicine). I love helping people and people tell me that I have a personality that would fit very well into the role of a doctor. I also love biology and learning about the human body - hence I’ve taken the subject regardless of which degree I want to do.

However at the same time I really enjoy learning about technology and the mathematical theory behind everything to do with computers (i would take maths and further maths either way as they’re my favourite subjects). I’m not too worried about difficulty applying to university as I’m a competent student and I don’t think grades will be an issue. I also looked at BMAT for medicine and CSAT and STEP for computer science as I’m aiming for Oxbridge - I found that BMAT was way easier than expected and I could answer most if not all the stuff on there. CSAT was also not too bad as I’ve studied ahead in maths and know a lot of the A level spec.

I just don’t know what to do.. I’ve thought about this for over a year and I keep going back and forth between the two.. Some people tell me to pursue my hobbies of maths and computer science and do CS at uni whilst others advise me that medicine is a longer to get into but more stable career. Any words of advice?
Reply 1
Two completely different areas, both can offer good stable careers. If we assume you enjoy both equally then I would say, Medicine because you can learn to code in your spare time, but not learn to be a Doctor.

Choice is up to you though!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sigma_108
Hey,
I’m currently a GCSE student in year 11 and still retain the ability to change my a level subjects (at the moment I’ve put Maths, Further maths, Biology and Physics). My dilemma is whether or not I should do medicine or computer science at uni. (I have to make a decision now as I’d have to do chemistry a level for medicine). I love helping people and people tell me that I have a personality that would fit very well into the role of a doctor. I also love biology and learning about the human body - hence I’ve taken the subject regardless of which degree I want to do.

However at the same time I really enjoy learning about technology and the mathematical theory behind everything to do with computers (i would take maths and further maths either way as they’re my favourite subjects). I’m not too worried about difficulty applying to university as I’m a competent student and I don’t think grades will be an issue. I also looked at BMAT for medicine and CSAT and STEP for computer science as I’m aiming for Oxbridge - I found that BMAT was way easier than expected and I could answer most if not all the stuff on there. CSAT was also not too bad as I’ve studied ahead in maths and know a lot of the A level spec.

I just don’t know what to do.. I’ve thought about this for over a year and I keep going back and forth between the two.. Some people tell me to pursue my hobbies of maths and computer science and do CS at uni whilst others advise me that medicine is a longer to get into but more stable career. Any words of advice?

I'd say to follow what your passion is. If Computer Science is what you love, then do that.
Whilst I haven't done both from what I've seen whilst the STEP may be the worse admissions test the medicine admissions process as a whole can potentially be more arduous - especially if you're doing regular work experience (which I would highly recommend) and during interview season. This is worth considering - I don't think there is an easier route here. Again not certain on this but would it be possible for you to switch physics for chemistry to keep both routes open? Additionally If you're doing well enough to go for oxbridge then I'm sure you'll do well enough for CS to be a stable career.

My feeling on it is that medicine is something that you have to decide on for yourself and be sure about. I think it would be worth doing some volunteering at a nursing home - this will give you a genuine insight into medicine and I believe assist you in your decision - there are a vast range of qualities you will need above a love for helping others (although it is fantastic you have that). Hope some of that is of help :smile:
You don't need to make a decision until nearer the end of year 12 at earliest (for medicine, so you have time to make arrangements for work experience). It is possible to take a combination of subjects which would cater to both CS and medicine potentially. A-level Physics is not required by either subject, and A-level Chemistry is not required by all medical schools. You could then either stick with your current combination (but have a more limited range of medical schools to choose from potentially) or swap A-level Physics for Chemistry and have the full range of medicine and CS courses available to choose between.

Then you can see how you cope with the subjects you're taking, and try and do some relevant exploration of those possible university courses (e.g. getting relevant work experience for medicine, which is necessary anyway, and perhaps doing some extracurricular projects involving programming and computing). Hopefully then by the end of year 12 you will have a better idea of which route you want to go for, and then you should have plenty of time to prepare an application for either.

Worse case scenario if you apply to the "wrong" one you can take a gap year and reapply to the other.
I would not go for medicine unless *I* was 100% sure it was my vocation. It’s an incredibly demanding career even after qualifying. It sounds like others think you would suit the role but you’ve said nothing about whether it’s your passion.

If you can’t get some relevant volunteering/work experience to get a feel for it, read This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay, it’s brutally honest.
Reply 6
Because you are going back and forth between the two, go with computer science.
Medicine is only for those that want to it 100% no questions.
And it seems your main reason for thinking about medicine is your family and friends saying it is a stable job etc
If you get into a good uni and do well as comouter science you will have a stable job with that too.
If you like the idea of helping people, you could always take your interests in biology to medical implants?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Molseh
Two completely different areas, both can offer good stable careers. If we assume you enjoy both equally then I would say, Medicine because you can learn to code in your spare time, but not learn to be a Doctor.

Choice is up to you though!

Thanks for your help. That is part of the reason why I would argue for doing medicine. I really enjoy maths but with neither degree will I end up with a job where I can do integration all day 😂. Doing medicine would still allow me to engage in my hobbies so I'll definitely have to consider that aspect of the equation. -Thanks 😊
Reply 8
Original post by Quick-use
I'd say to follow what your passion is. If Computer Science is what you love, then do that.

Lol my problem is I feel I'm passionate about both. I'm confident I can do well in either and will enjoy either - although with Medicine I think I'd love to go into research and a lot of people tell me that such a path can take many years so I'll think about it.
Thanks 😊
Reply 9
Original post by GrapefruitBread
Whilst I haven't done both from what I've seen whilst the STEP may be the worse admissions test the medicine admissions process as a whole can potentially be more arduous - especially if you're doing regular work experience (which I would highly recommend) and during interview season. This is worth considering - I don't think there is an easier route here. Again not certain on this but would it be possible for you to switch physics for chemistry to keep both routes open? Additionally If you're doing well enough to go for oxbridge then I'm sure you'll do well enough for CS to be a stable career.

My feeling on it is that medicine is something that you have to decide on for yourself and be sure about. I think it would be worth doing some volunteering at a nursing home - this will give you a genuine insight into medicine and I believe assist you in your decision - there are a vast range of qualities you will need above a love for helping others (although it is fantastic you have that). Hope some of that is of help :smile:

One of the most well thought out responses I've gotten - Thanks 😊 I can understand your point about the Medicine application process and how it's more than just the written exam papers which I found quite simple. I'll think about it thoroughly and then make a decision soon hopefully.
Thanks 😊
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
You don't need to make a decision until nearer the end of year 12 at earliest (for medicine, so you have time to make arrangements for work experience). It is possible to take a combination of subjects which would cater to both CS and medicine potentially. A-level Physics is not required by either subject, and A-level Chemistry is not required by all medical schools. You could then either stick with your current combination (but have a more limited range of medical schools to choose from potentially) or swap A-level Physics for Chemistry and have the full range of medicine and CS courses available to choose between.

Then you can see how you cope with the subjects you're taking, and try and do some relevant exploration of those possible university courses (e.g. getting relevant work experience for medicine, which is necessary anyway, and perhaps doing some extracurricular projects involving programming and computing). Hopefully then by the end of year 12 you will have a better idea of which route you want to go for, and then you should have plenty of time to prepare an application for either.

Worse case scenario if you apply to the "wrong" one you can take a gap year and reapply to the other.

Yeah, the idea of taking a set of subject that will cater to both university courses has been of consideration to me but I feel as though if I take chemistry and then take Computer Science at uni I'll have wasted two years learning a subject which, yes I enjoy, but is known to be quite difficult and demanding. (The universities I'm looking to apply to; Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc all require chemistry unfortunately). The reason I'm taking physics is because I enjoy it - but in all honesty I enjoy all three sciences and would study them all if I could (Maths, Further Maths, Triple Science would be quite stressful I imagine). I'll consider the option of Maths, FMaths, Biology and Chemistry though as it will allow me an extra year of thinking time.

Thanks 😊
Reply 11
Original post by Admit-One
I would not go for medicine unless *I* was 100% sure it was my vocation. It’s an incredibly demanding career even after qualifying. It sounds like others think you would suit the role but you’ve said nothing about whether it’s your passion.

If you can’t get some relevant volunteering/work experience to get a feel for it, read This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay, it’s brutally honest.

I'm not 100% sure about either to be honest. I was lucky enough to get work experience for a week in a major tech company last year but I didn't enjoy it so much - although I do understand that that was a small section of the vast array of different careers that Computer Science can launch me into. As for medicine, I haven't done any work experience but I like the satisfaction of helping others and am told that my personality suits the role. The problem I see with medicine is that it takes so long to get into exactly what you want to do. 5-6 years of uni, then a couple years of experience etc etc. I know I'll be able to get through it but it sounds rather strenuous compared to a 4 years masters in CS and then (hopefully) straight into a tech related job.
I'll have a read of that book though - seems like it may give me further insight into the reality of the profession.
Thanks 😊
Reply 12
Original post by mnnbv
Because you are going back and forth between the two, go with computer science.
Medicine is only for those that want to it 100% no questions.
And it seems your main reason for thinking about medicine is your family and friends saying it is a stable job etc
If you get into a good uni and do well as comouter science you will have a stable job with that too.
If you like the idea of helping people, you could always take your interests in biology to medical implants?

Yeah, I just feel like with medicine there's more stability but others tell me that I'd excel in anything I'd do so shouldn't be concerned about that. I've definitely considered something that combines the two but is it not more logical to do medicine then go into technology with that knowledge rather than doing CS and then trying to incorporate medicine?

Thanks 😊
Reply 13
Yeah, I just feel like with medicine there's more stability but others tell me that I'd excel in anything I'd do so shouldn't be concerned about that. I've definitely considered something that combines the two but is it not more logical to do medicine then go into technology with that knowledge rather than doing CS and then trying to incorporate medicine?

Thanks 😊

No,
Dont do medicine if you are not 100%
6 years till you will be earing just about 27000 before tax
you have to do competative speciality exams that total to above £2000
and expensive courses ontop of that.
Medicine is only worth it if you really want to do it.
and forget pay, the hours you will have to work are a lot. when i was on w/e, the foundation yr 1s i shadowed said when they work out their pay by the actual amount of hours they work, it is less than a mcdonalds employee

from just this convo, i know it is probably not for you.
(edited 5 years ago)
There are some crossover sectors although nothing patient related as a Doctor, like drug modeling which is maths and computing to model drugs to be used on the human body instead of using animal test subjects or human trials, or biomed/bio engineering which may not have a tonne of code but you will be doing some code and will still be working with the human body, jus the more mathsy side to it. As others of said it is a bad idea to become a doctor unless you are 100% certain on it, as it is a long winded but rewarding process. But you do have a while to decide so keep doing research, I applied to my course as a kind of a wild card and turned down studying at Imperial for Biomedical engineering for this other course this decision was only 2 months ago, and I',m sure this was teh correct choice, but didn't know until then...so you still have like 2 years to decide.
Reply 15
Original post by Admit-One

I have just finished reading this book and so thought it would only be right to thank you for recommending it to me. Unfortunately, it has not definitively given me an answer as to whether medicine is definitely what I want to do - but I knew from the start that it would be an unrealistic thing to expect. However, it has given me a very vivid insight into the true lives of junior doctors and the profession as a whole (as well as providing countless comical moments and rather useful information). I am sure it will ultimately help in my decision and so thanks a lot for recommending it.

:smile:
I have just finished reading this book and so thought it would only be right to thank you for recommending it to me. Unfortunately, it has not definitively given me an answer as to whether medicine is definitely what I want to do - but I knew from the start that it would be an unrealistic thing to expect. However, it has given me a very vivid insight into the true lives of junior doctors and the profession as a whole (as well as providing countless comical moments and rather useful information). I am sure it will ultimately help in my decision and so thanks a lot for recommending it.

:smile:

That's no problem at all. I'm glad that you enjoyed the book even if you are still undecided.

I think another poster did point out that conditions are slightly better now than when Adam was in the profession, but I still think it's a valuable insight into the pro's and con's of medicine as a career.
Reply 17
Haha yes I did do my own research regarding whether or not junior doctors are treated in the same way now and found out that it has improved to some extent. Nevertheless medicine will always be medicine so now I at least have a good understanding of some of the things the profession entails. I suppose right now I’m leaning towards Computer Science as I’m really enjoying some of the maths that I’m doing in my free time durning the summer and know that in medicine there is literally none of that. Even then the prospect of saving lives still entices me to be a doctor but I have until 22nd August to decide as such.
Haha yes I did do my own research regarding whether or not junior doctors are treated in the same way now and found out that it has improved to some extent. Nevertheless medicine will always be medicine so now I at least have a good understanding of some of the things the profession entails. I suppose right now I’m leaning towards Computer Science as I’m really enjoying some of the maths that I’m doing in my free time durning the summer and know that in medicine there is literally none of that. Even then the prospect of saving lives still entices me to be a doctor but I have until 22nd August to decide as such.

Which course you have chosen at the end? I am in the same situation hence asking.
Ecolier advice was always if it’s medicine or something else, pick something else:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending