The Student Room Group

what city should I go to uni in?!

I've applied to do biology at uni of Notts/Manchester/Birmingham. I have lived in notts my whole life, as have all my family, my family is huge and im VERY family orientated so moving away from them literally makes me feel sick. all the unis I've applied to are good for the course so that isn't really affecting my decision. I had no eagerness to move to a new city as im not bored of notts but obvs it would be good to explore somewhere new. also if I stay in notts im still moving out into halls.
Basically im more bothered about the city and don't know if ill cope being far away from them and not being able to see them for weeks/months but at the same time I love big cities so know ill enjoy manc/brum. I need comforting advice :frown:(((
brum is still pretty close, its like an hour via train i think so you would defo be able to see your family as often as you want! not sure about manchester, but honestly moving out is hard but makes you stronger in the long run!
Reply 2
yh manc is just under 2 hrs on the train and id still be moving out tho even if I stayed in notts. UoM has cheaper accommodation and I preferred the location of UoM cus UoB was on its own campus and seemed quite isolated from the city but I did prefer UoB campus itself
Original post by kikideekee
brum is still pretty close, its like an hour via train i think so you would defo be able to see your family as often as you want! not sure about manchester, but honestly moving out is hard but makes you stronger in the long run!
Original post by _roman0f
I've applied to do biology at uni of Notts/Manchester/Birmingham. I have lived in notts my whole life, as have all my family, my family is huge and im VERY family orientated so moving away from them literally makes me feel sick. all the unis I've applied to are good for the course so that isn't really affecting my decision. I had no eagerness to move to a new city as im not bored of notts but obvs it would be good to explore somewhere new. also if I stay in notts im still moving out into halls.
Basically im more bothered about the city and don't know if ill cope being far away from them and not being able to see them for weeks/months but at the same time I love big cities so know ill enjoy manc/brum. I need comforting advice :frown:(((

My advice is to go where you want to go, and if that is Notts, don't feel that you can't stay in Nottingham just because other people say you should move away from home. Everyone's different and Nottingham is a great uni so it's not like you want to go to some rubbish uni just because it's close to home. I think you should Firm Notts if you want to, but agree that it would be a good idea to stilll apply to Halls for the uni experience.

You can always move away at a later stage in your life, for a masters or a job.
Reply 4
people keep telling me that, I just know uni is the best opportunity to be able to move to a new city and the easiest way to make friends in a new city. I do feel like im only considering moving cus its just seen as the normal thing to do. my uni experience will still be the same it will just be in a city I already know. im just stressing cus I have 8 days to accept the offer and they're all unconditional so I can't even put one as insurance. I will probably to a masters after so yeh. thanksss
Original post by harrysbar
My advice is to go where you want to go, and if that is Notts, don't feel that you can't stay in Nottingham just because other people say you should move away from home. Everyone's different and Nottingham is a great uni so it's not like you want to go to some rubbish uni just because it's close to home. I think you should Firm Notts if you want to, but agree that it would be a good idea to stilll apply to Halls for the uni experience.

You can always move away at a later stage in your life, for a masters or a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending