The Student Room Group

Life without alcohol ?

So the other night, I had my first ever proper drink - 1 full bottle of wkd. Following this, I felt really **** for the rest of the night, contrary to what alcohol does to most people - making them forget all their problems. Is this normal for someone that’s not used to drinking? Or should I just not drink? 🤔
Yes it's normal.
Alcohol tolerance builds over time.
Why did you want to drink a whole bottle?
Expensive, not good for your liver and if you get into the habit of bingeing on large amounts of alcohol you risk alcohol poisoning.

Why don't you switch to beer, cocktails and wine.
Then work you way towards spirit drinks.
I mainly drink spirits and cocktails.
Alcohol doesn't make me forget anything, when I've drunk a lot I tend to find my memory rather than lose it.
My female friends tend to be a mix of giggly drunks and drunken sex pests.
Guy friends tend to be either singing drunks or crybaby drunks.
Alcohol sucks for everything but getting drunk. Just get some spirit and get 5-10 shots over and done with and you'll be set.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes it's normal.
Alcohol tolerance builds over time.
Why did you want to drink a whole bottle?
Expensive, not good for your liver and if you get into the habit of bingeing on large amounts of alcohol you risk alcohol poisoning.

Why don't you switch to beer, cocktails and wine.
Then work you way towards spirit drinks.
I mainly drink spirits and cocktails.
Alcohol doesn't make me forget anything, when I've drunk a lot I tend to find my memory rather than lose it.
My female friends tend to be a mix of giggly drunks and drunken sex pests.
Guy friends tend to be either singing drunks or crybaby drunks.

Well
Firstly, as a person who knows nothing about alcohol, i don’t know what a spirit or a cocktail is. My perception is that a cocktail is like fruit drink mixed with alcohol. And a spirit, as far as I know, it just a dead person or something
Secondly, my only reason for wanting to drink is that I will be going off to university next year. And everyone drinks at university. Well, most people. If I don’t drink, I will feel extremely lonely and isolated there
Original post by Laurence010401
Well
Firstly, as a person who knows nothing about alcohol, i don’t know what a spirit or a cocktail is. My perception is that a cocktail is like fruit drink mixed with alcohol. And a spirit, as far as I know, it just a dead person or something
Secondly, my only reason for wanting to drink is that I will be going off to university next year. And everyone drinks at university. Well, most people. If I don’t drink, I will feel extremely lonely and isolated there

You don't have to be forced into drinking by anyone. The social pressure is absolutely there but if people tease you for not drinking whilst you are there, and they're serous about it, they're not worth being friends with. I drink, but I don't pressure anyone else to. If you really don't enjoy it then you can always say it doesn't agree with you and stick to soft drinks, I know plenty who do. :smile:
Original post by DarthRoar
Alcohol sucks for everything but getting drunk. Just get some spirit and get 5-10 shots over and done with and you'll be set.

Ah
So basically I didn’t drink enough
?
The problem is
I also do not wanna get drunk
When people are drunk, they do things they regret, such as spilling out top secrets. That’s the reason I only had 1 bottle of wkd instead of getting properly drunk
Reply 6
With first time drinking, you won't know how alcohol will affect you until you've had too much.

Next time you have less, if you're feeling light headed or tipsy then stop. Being responsible is what matters, nothing wrong with having a drink or two with friends.
Original post by Anonymous
You don't have to be forced into drinking by anyone. The social pressure is absolutely there but if people tease you for not drinking whilst you are there, and they're serous about it, they're not worth being friends with. I drink, but I don't pressure anyone else to. If you really don't enjoy it then you can always say it doesn't agree with you and stick to soft drinks, I know plenty who do. :smile:

Thanks for the emotional support :smile:
That night did make me think I might just be better off going through life without drinking
But yes u are right, peer pressure exists
Reply 8
I hate alcohol since it has too much calories lol
Thanks for the emotional support :smile:
That night did make me think I might just be better off going through life without drinking
But yes u are right, peer pressure exists
Ah
So basically I didn’t drink enough
?
The problem is
I also do not wanna get drunk
When people are drunk, they do things they regret, such as spilling out top secrets. That’s the reason I only had 1 bottle of wkd instead of getting properly drunk

Then don't drink alcohol and drink something that actually tastes good instead?
Original post by DarthRoar
Then don't drink alcohol and drink something that actually tastes good instead?

Yeah maybe I should just have an alcohol free life 🤔
If you don't enjoy it then don't drink it! Will probably work to your advantage in the long run as you'll be much healthier and save money you otherwise would have spent on drinks you didn't enjoy.

Lucy

Quick Reply

Latest