The Student Room Group

Pounding headache - what's the cause?

I've been having this one sided pounding headache for 2 days now. Normally my headaches tend to go away when I sleep or have a nap but this one is always there and gets worse during the day.
It's worse when I move my head (especially up & down) like when i go from lying down to sitting up etc... For a few second with every pulse going through my head (like with every heart beat) I can feel excruciating pain with it at the same time and then it goes away until i move my head again.
I've had this before as well so it isn't a one off thing. The pain is mainly over the eye, temple area, one side of my forehead and the top of my head (not behind at all). It's actually a dull headache if i don't move my head - if i do it's starts pounding.
I don't think it's a migraine because it doesn't get worse with light sound or touch, and my vision isn't effected (except I sometimes see double when trying to read but that happens when I'm tired regardless or whether I have a headache or not)
So what type of headache is it exactly & what's the cause? :s-smilie:
Thanks!
That's either a migraine or even a pressure/stress headache. I have chronic migraines and I have very similar symptoms. Migraines are the only (that I know of) headaches that happen on one side of the head, particularly with eye pain. Light, sound etc are not the only triggers or amplifiers of a migraine. It could be food too, e.g. cheese and nuts. I'm no doctor but I've had migraines for 10 years since I was 7.
Painkillers and bed rest in a dark room are all I can say.

If it persists, go see a doctor or an optician, just in case it could be your eyes causing this issue. There are vison defects that cause headaches that don't necessarily affect your vision.
(edited 5 years ago)
Its a migraine. Take painkillers. Nothing you or the doctor can actually do.
I sometimes get something similar when I have a cold/sinusitis . If it isn't stress or vision related it could be early symptoms of a cold or flu so make sure to take care of yourself (eat well, drink lots and get plenty of sleep).
I do not want to scare you, but it may be a stroke. Go to the doctor for examination.
Original post by KlarkDevlin
I do not want to scare you, but it may be a stroke. Go to the doctor for examination.

I've had it quiet a few times in the past so I don't think it could be that
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by san_cisco
That's either a migraine or even a pressure/stress headache. I have chronic migraines and I have very similar symptoms. Migraines are the only (that I know of) headaches that happen on one side of the head, particularly with eye pain. Light, sound etc are not the only triggers or amplifiers of a migraine. It could be food too, e.g. cheese and nuts. I'm no doctor but I've had migraines for 10 years since I was 7.
Painkillers and bed rest in a dark room are all I can say.

If it persists, go see a doctor or an optician, just in case it could be your eyes causing this issue. There are vison defects that cause headaches that don't necessarily affect your vision.

Thanks.

I've heard cluster headaches & low-pressure headaches also cause one sided headache but none of them exactly match my symptoms.

Maybe you're right about it being a migraine. Is a migraine constantly there or is it on and off like comes back after 3 hours?

Being an optometry student I think I'd know if it's eye related :tongue: if they are eye related they don't tend to be pounding headaches.
Original post by EyestriX
Thanks.

I've heard cluster headaches & low-pressure headaches also cause one sided headache but none of them exactly match my symptoms.

Maybe you're right about it being a migraine. Is a migraine constantly there or is it on and off like comes back after 3 hours?

Being an optometry student I think I'd know if it's eye related :tongue: if they are eye related they don't tend to be pounding headaches.

Migraines can indeed be on and off, particularly if it isn't treated well as soon as it starts. It even last, on and off for a whole week (not to scare you😂only in extreme cases like mine). Definitely get as much sleep and water as you can. Make sure you're eating and stay away from your phone for a bit. I didn't know you were an optometry student, that's so cool😊.If you're still not sure a quick call to some sort of healthcare service should help you out, cause if it is something more serious, then they can point you in the right direction because I'm a child and not a doctor.
Thanks.

Low pressure headaches are rarely unilateral. It sounds like a migraine.
Original post by Anonymous
Low pressure headaches are rarely unilateral. It sounds like a migraine.

By low-pressure i meant SIH (just to clarify it)
(edited 5 years ago)
By low-pressure i meant SIH (just to clarify it)

yes, I know. it is a very rare cause of headaches
Original post by san_cisco
Migraines can indeed be on and off, particularly if it isn't treated well as soon as it starts. It even last, on and off for a whole week (not to scare you😂only in extreme cases like mine). Definitely get as much sleep and water as you can. Make sure you're eating and stay away from your phone for a bit. I didn't know you were an optometry student, that's so cool😊.If you're still not sure a quick call to some sort of healthcare service should help you out, cause if it is something more serious, then they can point you in the right direction because I'm a child and not a doctor.

Yeah i think i have that then because i still have that headache but it's been on and off, some days better than others. I remember a couple of days ago it shifted to the other side of my head, does that happen in migraine?

I'm still not convinced it's that because other than when i move up
(edited 5 years ago)
This app just ate half of my message :facepalm: sorry
Yeah i think i have that then because i still have that headache but it's been on and off, some days better than others. I remember a couple of days ago it shifted to the other side of my head, does that happen in migraine?

I'm still not convinced it's that because other than when i move up

Yes it can definitely move to either side of the head.

Quick Reply

Latest