The Student Room Group

is East Anglia worth it?

(edited 4 years ago)
I would always recommend moving away from home for university. You learn far more than the information in lectures.
Reply 2
@PQ From an educational perspective, do you think it offers more than I could get at Hertfordshire?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Coldfrost19
@PQ From an educational perspective, do you think it offers more than I could get at Hertfordshire?

I don’t have time to do your research for you. Look at the modules and courses available to you. Speak to current students. Look at the careers service information for each university.

Neither university is particularly known for their CS courses.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
I don’t have time to do your research for you. Look at the modules and courses available to you. Speak to current students. Look at the careers service information for each university.

Neither university is particularly known for their CS courses.

I largely got interested in UEA because of their university ranking and less on the modules they offer, which I admit was a mistake. What does having a higher university ranking really mean, if you don't mind my asking.
I largely got interested in UEA because of their university ranking and less on the modules they offer, which I admit was a mistake. What does having a higher university ranking really mean, if you don't mind my asking.

It depends on the ranking involved. They all measure different things.

Have you compared the courses on unistats? There’s detailed student opinions, information about entry qualifications, continuation rates, degree classifications and employment of current graduates on there (look for the proportion unemployed and the types of jobs graduates go into to see whether the courses offer good preparation for an IT career) for the specific courses in question.
Reply 6
Norwich is a cracking city
Hi, I'm doing a BSc in Computer Science and have narrowed my choices to East Anglia and Hertfordshire. East Anglia is a more respected uni, but I have to live there and costs will be higher. Hertfordshire is closer but less respected, however, I can do internships easier since the area has more tech opportunities. What I'm asking is, is moving to East Anglia worth it compared to Hertfordshire?

You should really go and visit UEA and spend some time at the uni itself and in the city of Norwich (great city). UEA is a much better uni than Hertfordshire and the differences should be clear on an Open Day.
As someone who grew up very near Uni of Hertfordshire and now attends UEA, please do visit both if you haven't already. Hatfield and Norwich are very different places, and you will find the environment you are in matters a lot when deciding whether it is 'worth it'.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
It depends on the ranking involved. They all measure different things.

Have you compared the courses on unistats? There’s detailed student opinions, information about entry qualifications, continuation rates, degree classifications and employment of current graduates on there (look for the proportion unemployed and the types of jobs graduates go into to see whether the courses offer good preparation for an IT career) for the specific courses in question.

Sites like unistats feel biased. Some uni's have data spanning from 35 students and some have data from 150 students. So it leaves some uni's having an approval rating of 75% with data from 30 students while some have an approval rating of 58% with data from 135 students. Doesn't really seem fair.
Sites like unistats feel biased. Some uni's have data spanning from 35 students and some have data from 150 students. So it leaves some uni's having an approval rating of 75% with data from 30 students while some have an approval rating of 58% with data from 135 students. Doesn't really seem fair.

That's not biased it's just the data. Some people would prefer a smaller course while other people would want a big group - and you can find out how many students are in each statistic by hovering over the (i) symbol so it is as clear as it can be.
Hi @Coldfrost19

Deciding between Universities can be tricky but we are here to help! Firstly, I'd advise you to reflect on what are the important factors for you - are these the modules you'll be learning, the facilities, placement opportunities or social life? Once you have an idea, it might be useful for you to visit an open day for both Unis and gather some further details, speak to the tutors and the students on the course. Hopefully, this will further cement your thoughts on what is the best Uni for you.

At Herts, we offer a blend of practical and theoretical work in CS. You will learn about the fundamental principles of the subject, which will be illustrated with current real-world technologies and applications wherever possible. To gain your degree, you will have developed a wide range of skills: problem-solving, analytical, creative, and professional with the aid of our GOLD rated teaching. We also encourage you to seek opportunities beyond your degree, for example, join our world-class robot football squad, or take classes leading to industry-standard certification.

If you would like me to provide you with further information on anything specific to help you make your mind up, let me know; I'd be very happy to help :u:

-Chirasree

Hi, I'm doing a BSc in Computer Science and have narrowed my choices to East Anglia and Hertfordshire. East Anglia is a more respected uni, but I have to live there and costs will be higher. Hertfordshire is closer but less respected, however, I can do internships easier since the area has more tech opportunities. What I'm asking is, is moving to East Anglia worth it compared to Hertfordshire?
Hi Coldfrost19,

I agree with much of the advice given above. The best way to be informed about this decision will be to visit both universities. I'm not sure about your individual financial situation, but if you can afford to go to UEA and it's just a case of it costing more because you'd have to move out of home, I wouldn't let that stop you. Student Finance provides enough money to live on and you will gain a lot from immersing yourself in the university and living with fellow students. As for making the decision, my personal advice would be put a lot of value on how much you like the university, whether you think the course will interest you, and how much you'll enjoy living at/around the university. Proximity to internships might be something you want to consider, but if you can live in Hertfordshire for free (which is what I'm assuming from your post), couldn't you move back during the summer or after graduation, which is when you'll be doing your internships? I think it would be misguided to let the proximity to internships be a guiding factor. You will get a lot more out of university if you enjoy being there and feel able to embrace your studies. My advice would be to let that be a factor in your decision too.

If you'd like to speak to a current UEA student about their experience of studying here, you can start a private message here: https://askastudent.uea.ac.uk/people?page=1

I hope this helps. Good luck with the decision.

Gabriel, Postgrad Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending