The Student Room Group

Is it smart to go to a lower ranked university?

Now I'm heading towards exam season at the end of my first year, I've been thinking about grades & grade inflation quite a bit. I've been speaking to my friends from back home and the majority of them have attained high 2:1's and firsts in their exams from universities that are on average around ABB entry criteria. My entry criteria was A*AA yet I have been getting high 2:1's with no firsts. So I became confused as to how all my friends have been getting better grades than me despite my significantly better A Level results, from the same school.

I then decided to look at the national statistics for universities and found that oxbridge has a first rate of around 33% with an entry criteria ranging from AAA-A*A*A. While universities such as West London, Greenwich, and Huddersfield are at 32% despite having entry criteria of B's, C's or just UCAS points.

I've been told by a lot of recruiters recently that many companies are now 'institution blind' just looking at university grades. If this is the case, then surely there is no point attending a top institution, where even though one student may have attained significantly better grades at A Level and likely worked much harder for a 2:1 , another student with significantly worse grade A Level grades can get a first. Is it not then illogical to go to top universities?

To me it seems completely fair to discriminate on the basis of institution, because clearly the data shows that grades are given relative to the intelligence at a given university, not relative to a national scale. Surely not discriminating will simply provide a 'false equality' by giving worse candidates a leg up, and it will also destroy the idea of meritocracy?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Gov767
Now I'm heading towards exam season at the end of my first year, I've been thinking about grades & grade inflation quite a bit. I've been speaking to my friends from back home and the majority of them have attained high 2:1's and firsts in their exams from universities that are on average around ABB entry criteria. My entry criteria was A*AA yet I have been getting high 2:1's with no firsts. So I became confused as to how all my friends have been getting better grades than me despite my significantly better A Level results, from the same school.

I then decided to look at the national statistics for universities and found that oxbridge has a first rate of around 33% with an entry criteria ranging from AAA-A*A*A. While universities such as West London, Greenwich, and Huddersfield are at 32% despite having entry criteria of B's, C's or just UCAS points.

I've been told by a lot of recruiters recently that many companies are now 'institution blind' just looking at university grades. If this is the case, then surely there is no point attending a top institution, where even though one student may have attained significantly better grades at A Level and likely worked much harder for a 2:1 , another student with significantly worse grade A Level grades can get a first. Is it not then illogical to go to top universities?

To me it seems completely fair to discriminate on the basis of institution, because clearly the data shows that grades are given relative to the intelligence at a given university, not relative to a national scale. Surely not discriminating will simply provide a 'false equality' by giving worse candidates a leg up, and it will also destroy the idea of meritocracy?

You've got a point but need to remember that whilst some companies have gone "institution blind" the vast majority haven't - and it's obvious really that a First from a top uni is worth more than a First from an ex poly. Also,won't you always feel proud of having gone to a good uni and receiving a first class education? It will always be there on your CV (which most employers ask to see at an early stage in the recruitment process) and you will never need to worry that you didn't get the job because of the uni you went to
I support the posters above and would like to add that the university outcomes are not just grades and diploma! The connections you make at the top uni are way more valuable and may be effective in the future. The same holds true for the opportunities I guess (studying and internships abroad, awards etc).
Original post by Gov767

I don't see why preferring graduates from universities that have better teaching and require better A-level grades to get in constitutes 'discrimination'. A first from a high-ranked and a low-ranked university will not necessarily be valued in the same way, considering that courses at higher ranked universities tend to be much more demanding.

Surely they're just selecting the graduates that are more academically able and likely to succeed in their career?
Reply 4
Original post by GreenCub
I don't see why preferring graduates from universities that have better teaching and require better A-level grades to get in constitutes 'discrimination'. A first from a high-ranked and a low-ranked university will not necessarily be valued in the same way, considering that courses at higher ranked universities tend to be much more demanding.

Surely they're just selecting the graduates that are more academically able and likely to succeed in their career?

You're reiterating exactly the point I was making. 'Discrimination' was used because I've heard the argument time and time again that a first is a first regardless of university. Meaning to some it is unjust to pick students on the basis of their institution, and therefore discriminatory.
Original post by Gov767
You're reiterating exactly the point I was making. 'Discrimination' was used because I've heard the argument time and time again that a first is a first regardless of university. Meaning to some it is unjust to pick students on the basis of their institution, and therefore discriminatory.

Until university exams are standardised (i.e. everyone sets the same exams) between institutions then it is legitimate to discriminate between candidates based on the university they attended.

It is far more difficult to achieve a first in Cambridge for maths than at Greenwich for example; yet both award a similar proportion of first class degrees. The Cambridge student will cover a lot more content and be examined on far more challenging questions - so it is only right to take this into account when selecting candidates for a certain position.

The recent grade inflation at unviersities is causing a race to the bottom, as evidenced by this very thread. Why should high achieving A level students risk a 2.1 or a 2.2 at Oxbridge when they could easily cruise to a first at a decent RG university? Some sort of standardisation between universities needs to occur which will result in one of two things: 1) the exams at lower ranked universities increase in difficulty and we return to the days when they give out few firsts/2.1s or 2) the exams at higher ranked universities become easier and you end up with very high proportions of firsts (especially at Oxbridge).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending