The Student Room Group

Samsung screen cracked. How do I get the pictures off?

Since its a Edge S7 it costs £200 to repair, which is far too much. Is there a software I can install to at least transfer the pictures over, or is everything now lost?
Reply 1
Is the LCD cracked too so you can't see the display? If it isn't then you can just plug your charging cable into any computer and drag them over through your file explorer once you've authenticated/trusted your PC with your phone.

If it is gone and you can't see the display but also can't transfer over cable, then you can download an app from the Microsoft Store (Windows 10 PC's) called "Samsung Gallery". If you log in with your Samsung account then your photos may be backed up there as it's usually turned on by default when you first set up the phone. If you have a mac though then this method is impossible I think
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by xDron3
Is the LCD cracked too so you can't see the display? If it isn't then you can just plug your charging cable into any computer and drag them over through your file explorer once you've authenticated/trusted your PC with your phone.

If it is gone and you can't see the display but also can't transfer over cable, then you can download an app from the Microsoft Store (Windows 10 PC's) called "Samsung Gallery". If you log in with your Samsung account then your photos may be backed up there as it's usually turned on by default when you first set up the phone. If you have a mac though then this method is impossible I think

Thanks for your response.

Just attempted to download Samsung Gallery, but "any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account. " unfortunately!
Reply 3
Original post by OddFish
Thanks for your response.

Just attempted to download Samsung Gallery, but "any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account. " unfortunately!

How do you mean? Is it when you download it? It should download with or without a Microsoft account and appear in your search menu after
You can simply do a file transfer by hooking up your phone to your computer via USB. I think your phone has to be unlocked before it'll show on your computer, so your screen has to at least be able to open your device. Afterwards, look for a folder called "DCIM" or "Pictures" and it should have all of your pictures in there.
Reply 5
upload them to an app called Amazon photos or the cloud
Reply 6
The phone is unusable as the display cannot be seen. I've attempted to connect it to the computer but it isn't registering as being plugged in, perhaps because it needs to be 'trusted' first and I need access to the screen to do so. So I presume I'm at a loss!
Reply 7
Original post by OddFish
Since its a Edge S7 it costs £200 to repair, which is far too much. Is there a software I can install to at least transfer the pictures over, or is everything now lost?

There's a possibility that the device might only charge itself via the PC and to set it to transfer mode, taping a notification is required. I would say try looking at Google Photos, since you may have had photo backup on, in which case all of your photos will be stored there.
Reply 8
I believe it's S Switch or Smart Switch whatever it is for modern devices
if the photos are on a memory card you could take it out and put it in another phone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending