The Student Room Group

feeling depressed about future and decisions

I'm on a gap year because i didn't know what to study. Applied for medicine but i'm still not sure and I don't know if I want that kind of lifestyle and stress. Just feel really depressed about it. My mum shouts at me all the time and says she's disappointed in me because I'm fat and a slob. I just need someone to tell me what to do i'm so depressed. I have passed the ucas deadline date so can't get into a decent course or uni now sooooo yep brill. what should i do?
I think if I were you, I'd need to get way and just change my environment for a little while. By no means am I saying you should run away from home and run away from your problems, but maybe go on a road trip with some close friends for a few days or spend the weekend at a local town. I think that just stepping back from a situation for a little while allows people to just focus on themselves and what they want for themselves because they're away from the pressures that are usually around them 24/7. Just remember that this is your life and you have the rest of your life to live it so don't rush the process.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm on a gap year because i didn't know what to study. Applied for medicine but i'm still not sure and I don't know if I want that kind of lifestyle and stress. Just feel really depressed about it. My mum shouts at me all the time and says she's disappointed in me because I'm fat and a slob. I just need someone to tell me what to do i'm so depressed. I have passed the ucas deadline date so can't get into a decent course or uni now sooooo yep brill. what should i do?

Have you thought about doing some volunteering or looking for employment? It might be that you aren't ready for university at this time. Doing some volunteering or work experience may help you to figure out your interests and what you want to do career-wise. Looking for employment in your gap year/time out gets you out of the house and earning money, and may also help you to decide what you want to do in your future. University will always be there as an option for you to return to later on if that is something you still want to do. There is no point in rushing into it when you aren't sure what you want and aren't fully invested in the course.
Reply 3
Original post by cheesecakelove
Have you thought about doing some volunteering or looking for employment? It might be that you aren't ready for university at this time. Doing some volunteering or work experience may help you to figure out your interests and what you want to do career-wise. Looking for employment in your gap year/time out gets you out of the house and earning money, and may also help you to decide what you want to do in your future. University will always be there as an option for you to return to later on if that is something you still want to do. There is no point in rushing into it when you aren't sure what you want and aren't fully invested in the course.

yep i've done tonnes of medicine work experience and volunteering but still hasn't made me sure about it. i have a job in a supermarket 4 days a week which i enjoy. i think i should probably go to uni this year as i think i am probs someone who won't know whether something is for me until i have tried it.
yep i've done tonnes of medicine work experience and volunteering but still hasn't made me sure about it. i have a job in a supermarket 4 days a week which i enjoy. i think i should probably go to uni this year as i think i am probs someone who won't know whether something is for me until i have tried it.

Have you considered doing a foundation year? Then you can move out, continue studying and apply for medicine next year ahead of the UCAS deadline! Definitely have a look if you are interested!
Reply 5
Hi, thanks for replying. I have already applied for medicine and have places so I think if i were considering that i would just go straight in for medicine, and just drop out if i didn't like it. The main problem is i just don't know whether medicine is for me, or what i would do instead.
Original post by barror1
Have you considered doing a foundation year? Then you can move out, continue studying and apply for medicine next year ahead of the UCAS deadline! Definitely have a look if you are interested!
Hi, thanks for replying. I have already applied for medicine and have places so I think if i were considering that i would just go straight in for medicine, and just drop out if i didn't like it. The main problem is i just don't know whether medicine is for me, or what i would do instead.

Yeah I know what you mean, you are a lot more restricted career-wise with a medical degree. What other academic interests do you have?
Reply 7
yeah that's true, but if i really hated it surely i could go back to whatever i was gonna do with any other degree? Yep it would have wasted more time but for example, if i didn't do medicine i would probs do natural sciences and then go on to get some graduate job in finance or maybe considering teaching. you can still do that with a medicine degree, you've just gone round the houses which is annoying. so basically i'm considering medicine, natural sciences, biology, economics and finance/ maths and chemical engineering.

At school i enjoyed working through maths problems but i also liked my class which probably helped. I also liked biology and learning processes like ultrafiltration in the kidneys etc. i liked chemistry but found it a bit more difficult. i really don't know what to do.
Original post by barror1
Yeah I know what you mean, you are a lot more restricted career-wise with a medical degree. What other academic interests do you have?
yeah that's true, but if i really hated it surely i could go back to whatever i was gonna do with any other degree? Yep it would have wasted more time but for example, if i didn't do medicine i would probs do natural sciences and then go on to get some graduate job in finance or maybe considering teaching. you can still do that with a medicine degree, you've just gone round the houses which is annoying. so basically i'm considering medicine, natural sciences, biology, economics and finance/ maths and chemical engineering.

At school i enjoyed working through maths problems but i also liked my class which probably helped. I also liked biology and learning processes like ultrafiltration in the kidneys etc. i liked chemistry but found it a bit more difficult. i really don't know what to do.

Have you contacted the universities where you have a place to see if they can transfer you to a natsci/biology course? Could be worth a look :smile:
Are you male or female?
I don't think you should feel depressed about it at the end of the day it sounds like you did some good Alevels so you have a variety of courses you can do!

Have you not applied to any course this year?
Original post by barror1
Have you contacted the universities where you have a place to see if they can transfer you to a natsci/biology course? Could be worth a look :smile:

Do you mean once i've started or before I go? I think I would do natsci at nottingham (don't have it for medicine atm) and they said they usually have places in clearing. Would be worried about getting **** accommodation with no social scene though. Probs wouldn't want to do Bio at my medicine unis (and they don't offer natsci) because the universities i applied for for med are not ones I would really want to go to for a different course.
hi, i'm female. Thanks, that's probably true but i have been changing my mind about what i want to study for 2 years now and don't want to get trapped in something i hate. I have applied for medicine, 5th choice economics and maths (as i thought it would be more difficult to find in clearing, compared to bio/natsci).
Are you male or female?
I don't think you should feel depressed about it at the end of the day it sounds like you did some good Alevels so you have a variety of courses you can do!

Have you not applied to any course this year?
Do you mean once i've started or before I go? I think I would do natsci at nottingham (don't have it for medicine atm) and they said they usually have places in clearing. Would be worried about getting **** accommodation with no social scene though. Probs wouldn't want to do Bio at my medicine unis (and they don't offer natsci) because the universities i applied for for med are not ones I would really want to go to for a different course.

It is really tricky, but you will have to make a decision. If not, you could try and apply through UCAS extra? You would have to reject all of your offers to do it though
can i firm one of my uni offers for medicine and if i change my mind in a month or so ask them to release me so i can use ucas extra?
Original post by barror1
It is really tricky, but you will have to make a decision. If not, you could try and apply through UCAS extra? You would have to reject all of your offers to do it though
can i firm one of my uni offers for medicine and if i change my mind in a month or so ask them to release me so i can use ucas extra?

That would be a matter between you and the university. Typically, you are put into an agreement with the uni after you firm, so that would need to be chased up with them.

Quick Reply

Latest