The Student Room Group

Dropping a subject after firming

Hi

Firstly - is it possible? It’s been more than two weeks since I firmed and because of circumstances I want to drop a subject which is not a requirement for my course. The course is Physics and the subject is further maths.

My offer is:

GCE A level Grade A* - Mathematics and Grades A*A in any 2 of Physics Further Mathematics Chemistry including Physics

So it’s a three a level offer and I have four a levels.

1) is it possible?
2) can they take back their offer or change it?
3) will they take back their offer or change it?

I would rather sit the exams and get A*A*A and like a D than risk them taking back the offer. I’m really stressed out about this. Has anyone done it before?
You have to let them know that you are dropping a subject. If its not part of the offer then they can't really take away your offer.
Original post by mciryam
Hi

Firstly - is it possible? It’s been more than two weeks since I firmed and because of circumstances I want to drop a subject which is not a requirement for my course. The course is Physics and the subject is further maths.

My offer is:

GCE A level Grade A* - Mathematics and Grades A*A in any 2 of Physics Further Mathematics Chemistry including Physics

1) is it possible?

I would rather sit the exams and get A*A*A and like a D than risk them taking back the offer. I’m really stressed out about this. Has anyone done it before?

Ask your firm/insurance first as they made you an offer on the basis of you sitting FOUR A levels .. they can change it so check.
Original post by Afterlife?
You have to let them know that you are dropping a subject. If its not part of the offer then they can't really take away your offer.

They can change the offer ... it was made on the basis of the OP taking 4 A levels.
Original post by Muttley79
They can change the offer ... it was made on the basis of the OP taking 4 A levels.

I thought it was like this
If the Offer said ' A*A*AA with A*A* in Mathematics and Physics and AA in any 2 of either Chemistry, Further mathematics, Computer science, Biology ' then you wouldn't be able to, but if it is said ' A*A*A* in Mathematics and Physics and any other subject from Further mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer science ' And you did Further and Chem then it doesn't matter which one you got the A* in and so u can drop one.

Not many Unis have 4 A level Offers anyway
(edited 5 years ago)
I thought it was like this
If the Offer said ' A*A*AA with A*A* in Mathematics and Physics and AA in any 2 of either Chemistry, Further mathematics, Computer science, Biology ' then you wouldn't be able to, but if it is said ' A*A*A* in Mathematics and Physics and any other subject from Further mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer science ' And you did Further and Chem then it doesn't matter which one you got the A* in and so u can drop one.

Not many Unis have 4 A level Offers anyway

NO - the offer was made on the basis of the OP's application - it's irrelevant what the details are.
Original post by mciryam
Hi

My offer is:

1) is it possible?

It is possible and lots of people have done it.

The unis are very unlikely to object since they made you an offer that you can still achieve based on 3 A levels BUT you do need to check with them and get them to confirm it via email just so you have it in writing from them that it won't make any difference to your offer. Give Admissions a call this week and don't worry that asking the question could affect your application in any way, it is absolutely fine to ask Admissions anything about your application.
Original post by Muttley79
NO - the offer was made on the basis of the OP's application - it's irrelevant what the details are.

I dont understand how the basis of the application has any weighting. Surely what it says on your UCAS offer letter under ' conditions of offer' is what you need to get. If its only a 3 A level offer, and you chose to drop one, the unis cant take that away from you.

Whats the difference between having an offer of A*A*A and then getting A*A*A vs getting A*A*AU? because if the offer is only 3 A levels, the 4th A level doesn't matter come results day, so surely you should be able to just drop it since it doesnt count.
I dont understand how the basis of the application has any weighting. Surely what it says on your UCAS offer letter under ' conditions of offer' is what you need to get. If its only a 3 A level offer, and you chose to drop one, the unis cant take that away from you.

Whats the difference between having an offer of A*A*A and then getting A*A*A vs getting A*A*AU? because if the offer is only 3 A levels, the 4th A level doesn't matter come results day, so surely you should be able to just drop it since it doesnt count.

They could change the offer ... read the UCAS rules.
As long as you sit the exam you will be fine. You dont have to work for or pass it as long as you meet the offer. If you dont turn up for the exam they can change the offer as it was based on you sitting 4 exams.
Original post by mciryam
Hi

My offer is:

1) is it possible?

Muttley79 is correct here.

Let’s say that “behind the scenes” the application was given a score out of 100 for academic strength based on GCSE’s and A Levels being completed. It scored above a cutoff point so was strong enough to receive their standard offer. *Any change* in the material information on the app may mean that an offer would not have been made in the first place. So the University absolutely could withdraw an offer if someone arbitrarily decided to drop a subject or EPQ without checking first.

In reality they likely won’t care, but the OP absolutely should check first before dropping anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending