The Student Room Group

Video gaming responsible for bad behavior?

Do video games cause bad behavior in children?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bane01
Do video games cause bad behavior in children?

Bad behavior is a far prolonged term: from a misbehavior to a criminal doing it may mean everything. Maybe it is better that you are going into detail a bit before start a discussion.
it depends on the video game
I've been playing video games since I was a wee lad and I turned out fine
I played video games of all genres as a child (inc some 18 ) and I was perfectly well-behaved.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
I was a little shite well before I got any violent games.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
I've been playing video games since I was a wee lad and I turned out fine

Me too, and I have never behaved badly, even when I changed to violent games. Did you ever play a violent game?

Original post by Nalk1573

The genre only? what about the matureness of the video gamer, the mental condition in general?
Original post by Kallisto
Me too, and I have never behaved badly, even when I changed to violent games. Did you ever play a violent game?

The genre only? what about the matureness of the video gamer, the mental condition in general?

Yeah all the time! And I wouldn't even hurt a fly! :biggrin:
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Yeah all the time! And I wouldn't even hurt a fly! :biggrin:

And when you began to play the first violent game, or to ask different: were you an adult? I definetely was.
And when you began to play the first violent game, or to ask different: were you an adult? I definetely was.

Nope, I played violent video games as a kid too. Still do to this day and I'm all about that love man :biggrin: Violent video games and video games in general haven't affected me negatively at all.
Reply 10
I was playing GTA when I was 10, ha.
Original post by gjd800
I was playing GTA when I was 10, ha.

That is not a violent game, that is the pure fun with cheating. I have never taken GTA seriously as brutal game.
Reply 12
That is not a violent game, that is the pure fun with cheating. I have never taken GTA seriously as brutal game.

It was ultra-controversial when it came out. I was doing DOOM on the PC around the same time, and later I loved Manhunt (I think that was 2003 ish?). But yeah, I don't think any link has actually been demonstrated.
Original post by Nalk1573

Care to back up your claim and provide a better explanation?
Reply 14
Played manhunt when I was 6, I turned out fine too.
Video games don't affect kids. I mean, if pac-man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, listening to repetitive electronic music...
I wouldnt say so. However ever since my brother started playing games he started to rage a little more and I wonded if thats the cause. Probably not but it might have contributed to it as my mum used to take his games away if he was taking it too far which of course made his anger worse. I wonder :rolleyes:
Original post by gjd800
It was ultra-controversial when it came out. I was doing DOOM on the PC around the same time, and later I loved Manhunt (I think that was 2003 ish?). But yeah, I don't think any link has actually been demonstrated.

Doom, Serious Sam, Half Life, etc. violent Ego Shooter games without a doubt, but even at the easiest difficulty level too tough what leads to a lost interest in gaming. :redface:

Games like those just cause boringness, but not madness and thus no bad behavior. Just to speak for myself.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Cloudiii
I wouldnt say so. However ever since my brother started playing games he started to rage a little more and I wonded if thats the cause. Probably not but it might have contributed to it as my mum used to take his games away if he was taking it too far which of course made his anger worse. I wonder :rolleyes:

Yeah the addiction to gaming may be a cause but the violence in games won’t change someone as much as parents want to believe. It’s just bad parenting at fault usually.
Can confirm this. The games are just a valve and substitution for bad parenting in my view.

Original post by winterscoming
Video games don't affect kids. I mean, if pac-man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, listening to repetitive electronic music...

...Or jumping on turtles or crocodiles when I think about the Donkey Kong and Super Mario games as another examples. :biggrin:

Original post by Cloudiii

From this statement, it is rather the other way round, namely that someone who does not play video games who is used to develops bad behaviors. That is an argument pro video games. :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest