The Student Room Group

Mech

Can someone help me with iiimage.jpg
Reply 1
Original post by sneha2002
Can someone help me with iiimage.jpg

What have you tried? Please post your thoughts / working.
Reply 2
I really dont know where to start
Original post by Notnek
What have you tried? Please post your thoughts / working.
Reply 3
I really dont know where to start

Do you understand the question? If it starts at O and ends up at A, how is it possible for it to move to the left of O?

I'm thinking you may know what to do once you understand the question?
Reply 4
Im sorry i dont get it
Original post by Notnek
Do you understand the question? If it starts at O and ends up at A, how is it possible for it to move to the left of O?

I'm thinking you may know what to do once you understand the question?
Reply 5
Im sorry i dont get it

In a) you should have found that u = -4.

So this means that initially the particle travels to the left but the acceleration is pointing to the right. So the particle will slow down as it moves to the left and eventually stop. Then it will change direction and accelerate towards A.

You need to show that the point where it changes direction is before B. Does this all make sense? It's important that you understand the situation.

The particle will change direction when v = 0. Can you carry on from here? I'm happy to help if you're still stuck but please have a go yourself first.
Reply 6
Is this right?image.jpg
Original post by Notnek
In a) you should have found that u = -4.

So this means that initially the particle travels to the left but the acceleration is pointing to the right. So the particle will slow down as it moves to the left and eventually stop. Then it will change direction and accelerate towards A.

You need to show that the point where it changes direction is before B. Does this all make sense? It's important that you understand the situation.

The particle will change direction when v = 0. Can you carry on from here? I'm happy to help if you're still stuck but please have a go yourself first.
Reply 7
Is this right?image.jpg

Yes that works although your method is slightly unusual. So you should explain your working more since it isn't obvious.

A more standard/common method would be to consider the motion starting from O where u = 4, v = 0 and a = -4/3.

Quick Reply

Latest