The Student Room Group

Swansea GEM Offer Holders 2019

Thought I’d start a group where offer holders could get to know each other and chat about anything Swansea GEM related for the cohort 2019-2023!
Reply 1
Hey! Congratulations everyone
Reply 2
Congrats! Can't believe it tbh!! Can't wait to meet everyone!
Reply 3
Hey guys, congrats everyone!!!
Well done everyone! What are you planning to do from now onto expected entry in September?
Reply 5
Original post by Nezumiiro
Well done everyone! What are you planning to do from now onto expected entry in September?

I want to go over to America to see a few friends for a little bit but apart from that not sure! Do we know start date and when the offer holder day is? I really wasn't thinking that far ahead haha congratulations once again!
Reply 6
Original post by em800
I want to go over to America to see a few friends for a little bit but apart from that not sure! Do we know start date and when the offer holder day is? I really wasn't thinking that far ahead haha congratulations once again!

These were the dates on my email confirming my offer earlier today:

Term 1 02/09/2019 - 23/12/2019
Term 2 06/01/2020 04/05/2020
Term 3 11/05/2020 - 26/07/2020
Reply 7
Original post by carrie_b87
These were the dates on my email confirming my offer earlier today:

Term 1 02/09/2019 - 23/12/2019
Term 2 06/01/2020 04/05/2020
Term 3 11/05/2020 - 26/07/2020

Brilliant Thank you!! I Saw that today early start! So I assume we will move up Late August for the Gem induction bits and socials.
Reply 8
Original post by em800
Brilliant Thank you!! I Saw that today early start! So I assume we will move up Late August for the Gem induction bits and socials.

Unless that first week is the induction week itself. And yes very long terms with GEM! Have a restful summer in preparation! :smile:
Hello again,
now that the UCAS offer reply deadline is fast approaching I'm guessing some of you may be choosing Swansea as your firm choice. If so, where are you thinking of applying for accommodation?

I don't know whether most students seek out private housing or halls of residence, but I might go with Singleton Park's accommodation - still unsure though...
Original post by Nezumiiro
Hello again,
now that the UCAS offer reply deadline is fast approaching I'm guessing some of you may be choosing Swansea as your firm choice. If so, where are you thinking of applying for accommodation?

I don't know whether most students seek out private housing or halls of residence, but I might go with Singleton Park's accommodation - still unsure though...

Almost every medic will go for private housing. There's usually just one or two who decide to go for halls (with the undergrads :eek:). The Uni accommodation is also considerably more expensive than anything private, especially for what you get. I wouldn't recommend it!

On your meet & greet day, you will be told about how medics do accommodation. You may also get a tour and will be able o find likeminded people if you're looking to share. Once your facebook page is set up by medsoc, properties from other medics etc... will be advertised there. You can also start searching now on places like spareroom, SAS lettings, etc...

Don't worry, there's plenty of time. Feel free to message if you wanna know more :smile:
Original post by em800

Original post by carrie_b87
Unless that first week is the induction week itself. And yes very long terms with GEM! Have a restful summer in preparation! :smile:

Yeah, rest up well. It won't end once it begins. And be prepared for medsoc olympics in your first week :smile:
Reply 12
Hey congratulations everyone! Does anyone know if and when the offer holder day is?
Hi, sorry to jump on this but how did you guys receive your offers? I heard Swansea calls you personally as well as telling you via UCAS, is that true? I’m applying this year for 2020 entry :smile:
Original post by SteveForfar
Hi, sorry to jump on this but how did you guys receive your offers? I heard Swansea calls you personally as well as telling you via UCAS, is that true? I’m applying this year for 2020 entry :smile:

Hi! Yes we received offers via phone call and then UCAS should be updated. Good luck with your application!

I got my offer by phone this morning out of the blue and was also wondering when the offer holder day is...?:h:
Reply 15
Hey everyone , moving to the area this September for the course :biggrin:
Was wondering where we will be based for the majority of the first year so I am find good areas nearby to search for accommodation, also if anyone just knows good areas for accommodation that would be very welcome :smile:
Thank you, looking forward to meeting you all !
Original post by RAJ1993
Hey everyone , moving to the area this September for the course :biggrin:
Was wondering where we will be based for the majority of the first year so I am find good areas nearby to search for accommodation, also if anyone just knows good areas for accommodation that would be very welcome :smile:
Thank you, looking forward to meeting you all !

You'll be on Singleton Campus all year. Close by, most students tend to congregate in Sketty, Brynmill and Uplands. Rent is from £200-400 per month. These are 5-10 mins walk from uni. Bit further out, you have townhill and Cockett (personally I'd avoid townhill and mayhill, it's a bit rough). If you have a big budget, You can live in Mumbles or Marina - it's a distance from uni, rent is around £350+ if sharing, and they're essentially the best areas.

I'd say always view before committing to anything. There's still plenty of time, don't worry too much! :smile:
Reply 17
Thank you for the response !
Following up on that would I be likely to have need of a car during the first year in regards to the course?
Also has anyone else who has been made an offer from the waiting list had the ucas confirmation come through yet?
Original post by Swansea Medic
You'll be on Singleton Campus all year. Close by, most students tend to congregate in Sketty, Brynmill and Uplands. Rent is from £200-400 per month. These are 5-10 mins walk from uni. Bit further out, you have townhill and Cockett (personally I'd avoid townhill and mayhill, it's a bit rough). If you have a big budget, You can live in Mumbles or Marina - it's a distance from uni, rent is around £350+ if sharing, and they're essentially the best areas.

I'd say always view before committing to anything. There's still plenty of time, don't worry too much! :smile:

Quick Reply