The Student Room Group

geology firm and insurance!

i’m very aware that the deadline for firm and insurance is coming up quickly, but i honestly have no clue what to go for.

i have received 5 offers to study geology:
imperial (a*aa)
durham (aab)
leeds (aab - potentially less)
birmingham (abb - unconditional if firm)
royal holloway (bbb - unconditional if firm)

i’ve kind of ruled out royal holloway, but i’m stuck between going for imperial as my firm, despite the high requirements (i’m predicted aaa), or ‘playing it safe’ and going for one of the others. a negative about imperial is that i’m not 100% sure still whether geology is THE course for me, and there is no chance of me sidestepping onto another course once i get there as geology is the only one they offer. butttt it is one of the best unis in the country, so i feel ridiculous for contemplating turning it down.

please, any advice would be really appreciated!! i need help asap haha
(edited 5 years ago)
If the only reason that you would put imperial as firm is because it’s prestigious then that would make it a terrible firm choice.

Pick somewhere you love that you would be happy at as your firm choice.

Pick somewhere else that you would be happy for your insurance (bonus if they guarantee accommodation to insurance students and have a lower offer).
Original post by PQ
If the only reason that you would put imperial as firm is because it’s prestigious then that would make it a terrible firm choice.

Pick somewhere you love that you would be happy at as your firm choice.

Pick somewhere else that you would be happy for your insurance (bonus if they guarantee accommodation to insurance students and have a lower offer).

obviously the prestige does have some weighting with me, but the thing is i did really like the department and the people there seem really nice. i just don’t know whether it’s risky if i go there, then realise the course isn’t for me and then i’m stuck... or i don’t go for it and then later realise it’s definitely what i want to do and i regret not going for the top uni
Original post by artysunflowrr
obviously the prestige does have some weighting with me, but the thing is i did really like the department and the people there seem really nice. i just don’t know whether it’s risky if i go there, then realise the course isn’t for me and then i’m stuck... or i don’t go for it and then later realise it’s definitely what i want to do and i regret not going for the top uni

If you think you would be happy there but are worried about not being able to swap course - if you change course that normally means restarting from first year and so you could always apply through UCAS elsewhere while finishing the first year of the Geology course at Imperial.
Original post by PQ
If you think you would be happy there but are worried about not being able to swap course - if you change course that normally means restarting from first year and so you could always apply through UCAS elsewhere while finishing the first year of the Geology course at Imperial.

thank you! assuming with that option i would pay for the first year of geology, before starting another course?
Yes - but that would be the case whether you're swapping to a different university or restarting on a new course at the same university. Generally if you pass the first year of any course then you'll be given an award of a CertHE (equivalent to an HNC). Standard student finance allows for one fully funded restart/repeat year for everyone.
Original post by artysunflowrr
thank you! assuming with that option i would pay for the first year of geology, before starting another course?
Anyone else put Leeds as their firm for geology? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending