The Student Room Group

MSc Physician Associate at Newcastle University Sept 2018

Accepted an offer to study for the MSc Physician Associate Studies at Newcastle University in Sept 2018.

Just wondering if any prospectus or previous PA's from Newcastle Uni know anymore information about bursaries, loans etc. and also the timetable schedule for the two year course? I know it's intense but wondering if I'll have enough time to do part time work.

Thanks
Fi

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ficharlton
Accepted an offer to study for the MSc Physician Associate Studies at Newcastle University in Sept 2018.

Just wondering if any prospectus or previous PA's from Newcastle Uni know anymore information about bursaries, loans etc. and also the timetable schedule for the two year course? I know it's intense but wondering if I'll have enough time to do part time work.

Thanks
Fi

Postgrads don't tend to stick around. If the timetable hasn't bee released yet there's no point in worrying about it now as it may change year on year. You can expect to be in taught sessions or getting experience 30 or so hours a week. You can also email and ask when the timetable will be ready. Info about funding will be on the website.
Good Afternoon, me too! I start Sept 3rd on the PA course. I need to do part-time work! There's no way I can survive without doing that so I'm in the same boat as you. I am in the process of applying for a student post grad loan........that's about as far as I have got, I'm kind of making the rest up as I go along. be good to get help and more info off someone who will be attending the course. Cheers Oh I'm Kieran BTW
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey guys! I've accepted a place too for starting this year. I'm also looking for more info on funding - from what I understand we get the first year fully funded?
Reply 4
Original post by MURSE_LIFE
Good Afternoon, me too! I start Sept 3rd on the PA course. I need to do part-time work! There's no way I can survive without doing that so I'm in the same boat as you. I am in the process of applying for a student post grad loan........that's about as far as I have got, I'm kind of making the rest up as I go along. be good to get help and more info off someone who will be attending the course. Cheers Oh I'm Kieran BTW

Hi Kieran! I've applied for a 111 call centre weekend only job - haven't had an invitation to interview yet as the post is still open - and I've applied for the postgrad loan but need evidence that we aren't getting an NHS bursary towards our studies which the uni is being super awkward about giving me evidence for. I'm not sure if it's because everything is so up in the air with them changing the course from a PgDip to an MSc but they are really beating around the bush when it comes to giving any information out!
Reply 5
Original post by Grantyrob
Hey guys! I've accepted a place too for starting this year. I'm also looking for more info on funding - from what I understand we get the first year fully funded?

The entire course fees are paid by HEENE so we have no tuition fees to pay, just need to be able to financially support ourselves whilst on the course.
Hi, I have also accepted an offer for this course at Newcastle! I know the fees are paid for both years ( thank god!) and I believe we get a travel bursary of about £2500 a year. I emailed the uni to check and was told they have no confirmation of the bursary amount yet but will email when they do. I'm also going to apply for the post grad loan but I've been told is a lot easier to apply once the course has started. It will be interesting to see the timetable. I have a friend who done it at a different uni and said their timetable was hectic and all her spare time was revising or doing work!
Reply 7
Hey! I have a place on the course too - I think we should get some more info about the timetable and bursary etc around 6 weeks before the course starts which isn't too long (scary thought)! I'm sure I was told that we might only be in Uni a couple days a week because a lot of our learning in self-directed.
Hi, I’m starting September 3rd too. I’ve had confirmation that there is a £2500 year bursary from HEE and I’ve applied and been accepted for the postgrad government loan. I also applied for a Newcastle Uni bursary but haven’t heard anything about that yet. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon 🙂
Professor Bradley mentioned on the open day that it was 2 and a half days a week actually at uni if I remember rightly, then a load of self directed learning. Obviously more full on with placements etc thrown in.
Yeah we will find out soon as it's not far away at all! I hadn't looked at the Newcastle bursary but I'll have a read about it now you've mentioned it. Thank you x
Has anyone noticed that there’s nothing about the bursary/tuition fees in the registration pack? Just was hoping for a bit of confirmation!
I’m looking at applying for September 2019 entry and was wondering how you guys are finding the course so far? Was the timetable/workload/placements like?
Hi, it’s great although very intensive. Have completed 6 weeks of clinical skills ( in every day 9-5) and began GP placements last week and core teaching weeks last week.
Best of luck with your application.
Hey I was thinking of applying for the PA at Ncl uni, can someone help me out with loan run down? I find it so confusing.
Also I work part time for the 111 service as well (weekends) for the people on the course do yous think I'll be able to balance my time and study and you know have enough money to live/ pay private rent bills etc. Thank you
Hi. The funding structure is a bit weird and can change year on year. Our funding wasn’t decided until the last minute but we get our course fees paid and a small bursary but as I say there’s no guarantee this will remain the same going forward.
The course itself is really intensive and in literature regarding the course it’s not recommended to work alongside, there’s a lot of self directed learning as well as uni and placement, that said several of my cohort do weekend work. I think it just depends on the individual.
:smile:
Original post by kittycarrie
Hey I was thinking of applying for the PA at Ncl uni, can someone help me out with loan run down? I find it so confusing.
Also I work part time for the 111 service as well (weekends) for the people on the course do yous think I'll be able to balance my time and study and you know have enough money to live/ pay private rent bills etc. Thank you
Reply 16
Hi I’ve just got my offer to start in September, on the offer letter it says it starts on the 2nd but in other places it says the 23rd. Does anyone know which one it is? Thanks! :smile:
I started at the beginning of the month so I’d guess at the 2nd.
Reply 18
Okay thank you!
Original post by Stephyr77
I started at the beginning of the month so I’d guess at the 2nd.

Reply 19
I think they’ve only handed out a few offers so we might be the only ones haha, we should start a fb group or something, would be nice to know a few faces! :smile:
Original post by SeunE
Hi, I just got my offer as well! I've been trying to find other people who are starting in Septemeber but no such luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending