The Student Room Group

Unable to sit A-Levels because of anxiety and depression

So for six years now I've been struggling with severe anxiety and depression. My anxiety is so bad that sometimes I'm scared to even talk to my parents or my best friend. For six years I have been seeing a councillor, I've been seeing a psychiatrist for four years (the councillor and psychiatrist are both in the same government facility) and I've started going to a third person who is trying to help me overcome my problems. A few years ago I was put on anti-anxiety pills. I should mention that the school I am at is in the top 3 in NI and they constantly push their students to the limits. The school knows all about my issues and my parents are frequently on the phone to my year head and the schools child protection officer. My depression and anxiety flares up really badly around exams, but this year has been the worst. I had to stay off for 3 weeks and now there's only 2 weeks to my first exam but I can't bring myself to study for anything. Every time I try to do it or even think I genuinely cry and pull out my hair. I can't sit my exams but the school haven't said anything about using predicted grades so now I'm REALLY worried. Are they expecting me to sit the exams? The course I want to do at uni needs a minimum of 3 Bs but at the minute I'll be lucky to get 3 Es. Is there any way that I can get predicted grades and not have to throw my future away? Thanks in advance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JacktheJoker1989
So for six years now I've been struggling with severe anxiety and depression. My anxiety is so bad that sometimes I'm scared to even talk to my parents or my best friend. For six years I have been seeing a councillor, I've been seeing a psychiatrist for four years (the councillor and psychiatrist are both in the same government facility) and I've started going to a third person who is trying to help me overcome my problems. A few years ago I was put on anti-anxiety pills. I should mention that the school I am at is in the top 3 in NI and they constantly push their students to the limits. The school knows all about my issues and my parents are frequently on the phone to my year head and the schools child protection officer. My depression and anxiety flares up really badly around exams, but this year has been the worst. I had to stay off for 3 weeks and now there's only 2 weeks to my first exam but I can't bring myself to study for anything. Every time I try to do it or even think I genuinely cry and pull out my hair. I can't sit my exams but the school haven't said anything about using predicted grades so now I'm REALLY worried. Are they expecting me to sit the exams? The course I want to do at uni needs a minimum of 3 Bs but at the minute I'll be lucky to get 3 Es. Is there any way that I can get predicted grades and not have to throw my future away? Thanks in advance.

Unless NI have adopted new A level rules, you cannot be awarded predicted grades for exams you don't take. You can sometimes be awarded estimated grades if you complete enough of the exams for a subject and have an acceptable, evidenced reason for missing the others.
Your universities can be informed of your difficulties and they can take it into consideration when deciding if they will accept your application but if you don't take any exams/don't achieve reasonable results, this isn't likely.
Do you think it's wise to try to take on the challenge and stress of university if you are still not ready to cope with the demands of school? I'd recommend you focus on yourself and work with your mental health professionals to get yourself well. There will always be options that enable you to go to university if you still want to when you are able to take advantage of it.
(edited 4 years ago)
So I guess I'll have to sit them then. Have you any idea what may happen after I finish my a levels? For me repeating the year is not an option.
So I guess I'll have to sit them then. Have you any idea what may happen after I finish my a levels? For me repeating the year is not an option.

You could:
Talk to your school about contacting universities and applying for 'extenuating circumstances'
Resit A level exams later as a private candidate
Apply for courses with a foundation year
Apply to universities/courses with entry requirements that you meet
Take some time out and then take an access course if your A level grades are not good enough for an application
Get a job or apprenticeship and return to education later
Study part time with the Open University

Your priority should be working on your health
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Unless NI have adopted new A level rules,

They haven't - they still use the same regulations as England and Wales - so gdunne42's advice is spot on.
Original post by gdunne42
You could:
Talk to your school about contacting universities and applying for 'extenuating circumstances'
Resit A level exams later as a private candidate
Apply for courses with a foundation year
Apply to universities/courses with entry requirements that you meet
Take some time out and then take an access course if your A level grades are not good enough for an application
Get a job or apprenticeship and return to education later
Study part time with the Open University

Your priority should be working on your health

OK thank you so much. I haven't been told about ANY of those things until now
literally everything. i have social anxiety and i think into thing to much so I get anxious about what might happen in the future/what others will think etc.
Reply 7

You need better medication. What are the 'anti anxiety' pills they have you on? They are probably antidepressants, not anti anxiety drugs. Benzos are a better option for severe anxiety. They are godsend.
Reply 8

Hey,

I think I may know your school. In that, I went to a top 3 school in N.Ireland too (and potentially the same school). Ridiculously pressured, anything below a B is crap attitude.

I suffered from horrendous mental health during my A Levels (RE, History and English Lit, plus politics at another school). I nearly fainted going into a history exam from the medication I was on. But somehow, I managed to come out with AABa, and I graduated from uni last year. You're not alone and I'm so sorry.

Speak to the school. Enquire about mitigating circumstances. You'll have to sit the exams though if you want grades. Are you on any medication? What is it about exams that makes you so upset? Would be in a separate room help?
Original post by Airmed
Hey,

I think I may know your school. In that, I went to a top 3 school in N.Ireland too (and potentially the same school). Ridiculously pressured, anything below a B is crap attitude.

I suffered from horrendous mental health during my A Levels (RE, History and English Lit, plus politics at another school). I nearly fainted going into a history exam from the medication I was on. But somehow, I managed to come out with AABa, and I graduated from uni last year. You're not alone and I'm so sorry.

Speak to the school. Enquire about mitigating circumstances. You'll have to sit the exams though if you want grades. Are you on any medication? What is it about exams that makes you so upset? Would be in a separate room help?

yeah I have had a sperate room and extra time since my GCSEs. I am on medication for it. Also the reason they upset me so much is that 90% of people that I know keep reinforcing the fact that if I don't get the grades then my life is basically over because i won't be able to do anytjjng if i dont go to uni so I get pressured into making myself do well but when I'm under pressure my body just shuts off and doesn't do anything so I can't revise for anything. I also have really bad social anxiety. like when doing my GCSEs I was given rest breaks rather than extra time but I never used them becuase I was too scared to ask the invigilator
Reply 10
yeah I have had a sperate room and extra time since my GCSEs. I am on medication for it. Also the reason they upset me so much is that 90% of people that I know keep reinforcing the fact that if I don't get the grades then my life is basically over because i won't be able to do anytjjng if i dont go to uni so I get pressured into making myself do well but when I'm under pressure my body just shuts off and doesn't do anything so I can't revise for anything. I also have really bad social anxiety. like when doing my GCSEs I was given rest breaks rather than extra time but I never used them becuase I was too scared to ask the invigilator

I got rest breaks too. You could clear it with the person beforehand that if you raise your hand, that means you want a rest break/toilet. Like you don't even need to say a word.

Have you discussed medication with your medical team? What about CBT or therapy?
Original post by Ciel.
You need better medication. What are the 'anti anxiety' pills they have you on? They are probably antidepressants, not anti anxiety drugs. Benzos are a better option for severe anxiety. They are godsend.

yeah theyre technically classified as antidepressants but they're for anxiety. I'm on the lowest possible dose of 50mg of sertraline. they seem to be reluctant to put me on ANY medication as my mum had to beg them to put me on something. thye're absolutely useless they "didnt know" i had depression until a few weeks ago
i am on mesication
Original post by Airmed
I got rest breaks too. You could clear it with the person beforehand that if you raise your hand, that means you want a rest break/toilet. Like you don't even need to say a word.

Have you discussed medication with your medical team? What about CBT or therapy?

I'm on medication for a few years now which my councillor and psychiatrist fave to me reluctantly for some reason. its the lowest does of the medication as well. Also I'm might do that. the problem is that my councillors and school haven't said anything about doing that yknow its like the kinda expect me to know
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
yeah theyre technically classified as antidepressants but they're for anxiety. I'm on the lowest possible dose of 50mg of sertraline. they seem to be reluctant to put me on ANY medication as my mum had to beg them to put me on something. thye're absolutely useless they "didnt know" i had depression until a few weeks ago

Antidepressants aren't a good choice for anxiety.... If you can afford it, see a private doctor and see if you can get a prescription for a benzo, ideally something long-acting like valium (xanax has a short life so it's no good for chronic anxiety). Benzodiazepines can be very addictive so you need to use them with caution. However, imo, they are still a lesser evil than the torture you are gong through.
Original post by Ciel.
Antidepressants aren't a good choice for anxiety.... If you can afford it, see a private doctor and see if you can get a prescription for a benzo, ideally something long-acting like valium (xanax has a short life so it's no good for chronic anxiety). Benzodiazepines can be very addictive so you need to use them with caution. However, imo, they are still a lesser evil than the torture you are gong through.

yeah unfortunately we don't have enough money to do that right now

Quick Reply

Latest