The Student Room Group

Torn between UCL and Royal Holloway

I've applied for BSc Psychology at both UCL and Royal Holloway and I've got offers from both. I visited UCL for the Offer Holder day and I felt like the content of the BSc focused too much in the brain and wouldn't allow me to make an informed decision about my Master's. I haven't visited Royal Holloway, but I've heard it's a good university. The commute is the factor that I'm not sure about, since the campus is not in London and it would take me 1.5hrs to get there, compared to 50mins to get to UCL. However, the modules at Royal Holloway seem far more friendly than UCL. I don't know which uni to choose. I wanted to firm UCL on the basis of having the opportunity to go there, whereas I don't know if that opportunity will happen when I finish my degree. What uni would you choose?
UCL no question. It’s just a more well known and better university
Reply 2
Royal Holloway is absolutely beautiful - and is a train from Waterloo which only takes about 40 minutes. Personally, I chose UCL over Royal Holloway I based this on wanting to be in central London and the reputation of UCL for my course. From what you've said I would suggest going to Royal Holloway due to the modules - it is something you will be studying for 3 years make sure it is somewhere you want to go to.
Reply 3
My suggestion would be to visit Royal Holloway to get a feel for the place and choose based on which university environment you like better. University is an intense experience, and you need to be in the right place for you where you can get the most enjoyment out of it. The fact that you prefer the modules at Royal Holloway is a sign that you may be happier there. Also, remember that either way you are at a good university. I hope this helped a little.
Original post by Stebe
I've applied for BSc Psychology at both UCL and Royal Holloway and I've got offers from both. I visited UCL for the Offer Holder day and I felt like the content of the BSc focused too much in the brain and wouldn't allow me to make an informed decision about my Master's. I haven't visited Royal Holloway, but I've heard it's a good university. The commute is the factor that I'm not sure about, since the campus is not in London and it would take me 1.5hrs to get there, compared to 50mins to get to UCL. However, the modules at Royal Holloway seem far more friendly than UCL. I don't know which uni to choose. I wanted to firm UCL on the basis of having the opportunity to go there, whereas I don't know if that opportunity will happen when I finish my degree. What uni would you choose?

Hi Stebe,

It's great to hear you are interested in studying with us.

If you have any specific questions about Royal Holloway, please feel free to let me know. As @Nesgul said, my top recommendation is to visit the campus if you can to see our facilities and speak to current students. You can also chat to some of our current students on our website here.

Susana :smile:
Hi! So I had the chance to go to a city based uni or royal Holloway, and I ended up picking royal Holloway. I picked royal Holloway because 1) it’s obviously STUNNING but 2) also because I felt an instant connection with the place. Everyone will have a subjective experience, but I loved it more and more throughout the applicant day. For me, I wanted somewhere away from the busyness of the city and a generally quieter area. I also applied for psychology, and the amount of stats involved with the city based uni compared to RH was also quite a big reason I chose RH. I could imagine myself being happy there. It’s a great uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest